Home

should an early release result in a short or long shot?

This is a discussion on should an early release result in a short or long shot? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
View Poll Results: For shooting, how should early and late releases effect the ball going long or short?
An early release should make the ball go long, and a late release should make the ball go short. 98 70.00%
An early release should make the ball go short, and a late release should make the ball go long. 42 30.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
should an early release result in a short or long shot?

As of now, the system in NBA elite is that if you release early, the shot will go short, and if you release late, the shot will go long. To me, this is an abomination as far as the fundamentals of basketball go. Reanimator said that if we show a large response stating that early release should go long and late release should go short, they may change the power meter. So everybody please vote because i won't be able to enjoy shooting unless they change it.

Last edited by thomonkey; 06-30-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: should an early release result in a short or long shot?

Agree 100%. A late release definitely should make the ball going short. Or maybe even another system, where between the sweet spot and the end of the bar, the ball should go long.

Something like this

Old 06-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
All Star

Tha_Kid's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomonkey
So everybody please vote because i won't be able to enjoy shooting unless they change it.
I think that is an exaggeration without trying the game. I agree that early release should be a stronger shot and late a underpowered shot, but so do the devs. The reason they kept it the way it is was because playing it with that in mind threw people off. I'd prefer they change it to the more realistic option but its not a gamebreaker.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Kid
I think that is an exaggeration without trying the game. I agree that early release should be a stronger shot and late a underpowered shot, but so do the devs. The reason they kept it the way it is was because playing it with that in mind threw people off. I'd prefer they change it to the more realistic option but its not a gamebreaker.
well that's why everyone is entitled to their own opinion. obviously the devs dont really think having an early release go long is very important or they would have made the early release go long. And yes, i know even before picking up the controls that i will not like shooting if they keep it this way. sometimes in life you know if you will like something before you try it. for example i dont like sea food, but id never had octopus. well somebody said if i haven't tried how can i not like it. and i ate it and nearly barfed.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 10

No disrespect, but I think you guys are being a bit unreasonable. This is just video game logic, and long-time/passionate gamers know that.

In any game where the right stick controls your action with a "sweet spot" mechanic like Elite, generally holding it too long results in your player doing something to too much of an extent (shooting a basketball too far, jumping too high/too far, throwing a wild haymaker, etc.), while not holding it long enough results in your player doing the action to not enough of an extent.

Don't mess with the system in place IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstarshooter32
No disrespect, but I think you guys are being a bit unreasonable. This is just video game logic, and long-time/passionate gamers know that.

In any game where the right stick controls your action with a "sweet spot" mechanic like Elite, generally holding it too long results in your player doing something to too much of an extent (shooting a basketball too far, jumping too high/too far, throwing a wild haymaker, etc.), while not holding it long enough results in your player doing the action to not enough of an extent.

Don't mess with the system in place IMO.
making realistic games is all about balancing realism and gameplay, and i believe that this is a case where realism should win. Especially since some people will actually find a realistic power meter more intuitive. so for some people, realism AND gameplay will be better.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Any chance they can make this an option for people? Kind of like some games will let you choose whether you want directions to be reversed (like pressing down on the right stick makes you look up while pressing up makes you look down for example). It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to do.

I'd much rather have early releases be long. I think it would feel more natural to have it that way.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Any chance they can make this an option for people? Kind of like some games will let you choose whether you want directions to be reversed (like pressing down on the right stick makes you look up while pressing up makes you look down for example). It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to do.

I'd much rather have early releases be long. I think it would feel more natural to have it that way.
Would be good if the user could toggle it to there liking. Then everyone would be happy. How hard would that be to implement?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »