Home

Ask the devs : Physics

This is a discussion on Ask the devs : Physics within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Ask the devs : Physics

Here is the place to ask anything about the real time physics

Im not sure how much they can answer but eventually more questions will come the closer we get to release and beyond that.

Here is a physics thread to reference if you'd like to see if you missed anything
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...hysics-15.html

Last edited by 23; 06-28-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Ask the devs : AI/Physics

Thanks for the thread 23........

I would like to know if the CPU AI for clock management has been improved and also will the CPU handle it's rotations better than in years past?

One thing i would love to see is the Human player have control over the playing time for the CPU teams rotations

Like for example College Hoops 2K8 you can set the rotations and playing time minutes of each player. I don't think we've ever seen that that type of freedom in NBA Live.

Would also like to know if a guy like Shaq who weighs 350 is going to feel like he's bigger and stronger than Ryan Hollins who weighs inside the paint when posting up or playing post defense?

I've never felt like in years past a strong guy like Dampier, Shaq or Ben Wallace had any weight on them in the game.

I do have more questions but I'll chill out and waite to see how the dev's handle this thread before posting all of my concerns.....i just don't want to ask a bunch of questions and the feedback never happens

I felt that way in NCAA basketball where the questions were asked but no one really answered anything

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 06-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Ask the devs : Physics

With the new RTP will it be any limb to limb contact? For instance can players get closed line by a arm or trip over someone foot and so on.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Thanks for the thread 23........

I would like to know if the CPU AI for clock management has been improved and also will the CPU handle it's rotations better than in years past?

One thing i would love to see is the Human player have control over the playing time for the CPU teams rotations

Like for example College Hoops 2K8 you can set the rotations and playing time minutes of each player. I don't think we've ever seen that that type of freedom in NBA Live.

Would also like to know if a guy like Shaq who weighs 350 is going to feel like he's bigger and stronger than Ryan Hollins who weighs inside the paint when posting up or playing post defense?

I've never felt like in years past a strong guy like Dampier, Shaq or Ben Wallace had any weight on them in the game.

I do have more questions but I'll chill out and waite to see how the dev's handle this thread before posting all of my concerns.....i just don't want to ask a bunch of questions and the feedback never happens

I felt that way in NCAA basketball where the questions were asked but no one really answered anything
Since this is now the physics thread I'll answer the physics part of your question. I suggest you post the other questions to the AI/Ratings thread.

So the answer is yes. Stronger, heavier players should feel different in this years game.

In the post battle for example, there is a mechanic in the game where as a defender you can push the dribbler further from the net. Also, as the dribbler you can push towards the hoop to try and gain better position.

There is a timing component on the left stick that determines who's winning the battle, but player ratings will play a huge factor here.

Backing down a small defender with a big and strong post player will make it very easy to gain ground and get better position.

Strength and weight will affect in air collisions quite a bit as well.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharlem
With the new RTP will it be any limb to limb contact? For instance can players get closed line by a arm or trip over someone foot and so on.
Not the way you're thinking, no.

We do use limb/limb collision for foul detection, but for the most part the only body parts that will affect a players ability to move around are the hips/chest/shoulder collision systems.

It wouldn't be hard to add tripping and clotheslines, but they aren't really basketball moves and could make the game play erratically and look somewhat silly if they happened all the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

How are the new physics affecting the interactions between the ball and the rim and the ball and the net?

How are they affecting battles for rebounds?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
Since this is now the physics thread I'll answer the physics part of your question. I suggest you post the other questions to the AI/Ratings thread.

So the answer is yes. Stronger, heavier players should feel different in this years game.

In the post battle for example, there is a mechanic in the game where as a defender you can push the dribbler further from the net. Also, as the dribbler you can push towards the hoop to try and gain better position.

There is a timing component on the left stick that determines who's winning the battle, but player ratings will play a huge factor here.

Backing down a small defender with a big and strong post player will make it very easy to gain ground and get better position.

Strength and weight will affect in air collisions quite a bit as well.
Thanks for the response......

I have about 3-4 more questions that pertains to the AI/Physics.

I need to actually go back and check a few things in Live 10 after i get off work to put those questions together.

I know one of them had to do with alley oop's and also off the ball movement in regards to playbooks and what I see happening on the court. But those might be more along the lines of AI/Ratings thread that was created.

Thanks again for the feedback

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 10

how will the physics system work when 3 players are in contact with other? will we see body contact like what we will see IRL or are the animations preset for that instance?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »