Home

Why no NHL "Surname."

This is a discussion on Why no NHL "Surname." within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 22
Why no NHL "Surname."

This is a bit random, but why doesn't NHL have a surname? What I mean is; you don't call Madden 11, NFL 11, You don't call NBA Elite 11, NBA 11, you don't call MLB The Show 10, MLB 10, and you don't call Fifa 11, Soccer 11.

NHL seems to be the only game that is lacking a catchy name to go along with it's brand. I don't know what you would call it, maybe NHL Freeze 11? I don't know, but anything would be better then just plain NHL 11 imo. Would also make it easier to talk about in conversation so people don't get confused as to weather you're talking about a video game or the real life NHL. You almost have to say the year at the end of it to get people to know what you're talking about. Whereas, if you say "Madden" everyone knows that you're talking about the video game.

Just my $.02, and random thought of the day I guess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #2

Majingir's Arena

Re: Why no NHL "Surname."

The Fifa one is diff because Fifa actually stands for something outside of video games unlike something like madden or elite where it's just there for the purpose of the game or to make it more marketable which is why madden is part of the name.

They just call it NHL (year) because no other NHL video game can really compete with it and when NHL video game first came out, there wasn't any other real hockey game out there.

Basketball you have 2k against Live/Elite for baseball it was The Show vs 2K.

Those names just stick after years so people just accept it, when you ask someone "did you play live 10, they know what you're talking about, same for hockey games, if you ask someone "did you play nhl 10", they know what game you're talking about"
Old 06-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
Banned

You have to admit though that NHL Freeze XX* has a nice ring to it. Well beggers can't be choosers I guess.

*XX - stands for random year.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #4

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenReign86
You have to admit though that NHL Freeze XX* has a nice ring to it.
Not really. The current name is just fine IMO.

To be honest I think NHL freeze sounds extremely corny.

And I'm pretty sure there is no surname for this series because when it started (early 90's right??) I don't remember there being any other competition unlike the other games you mentioned so there was no need to differentiate themselves.

Last edited by kehlis; 06-22-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Banned

Well there really isn't any competition in baseball games. So, theoretically SCEA could just drop The Sow from it's title and become MLB XX. And no, I don't consider MLB 2k to be any real competition to MLB The Show.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #6

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenReign86
Well there really isn't any competition in baseball games. So, theoretically SCEA could just drop The Sow from it's title and become MLB XX. And no, I don't consider MLB 2k to be any real competition to MLB The Show.
That's irrelevant and you missed the point I made.

As you eluded to, it's all about branding. You don't all of a sudden change your name for no reason after a long period of time.

When the NHL series started, there was no competition, thus no need to come up with any surname. When MLB the show started, there was competition thus creating the need for a surname.

And "theoretically" doesn't mean reality anyway.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
Rookie

Zeekesimo's Arena

OVR: 4

Gonna have to admit that NHL Freeze sounds extremely corny/arcadish/childish.

Madden is called Madden because when the game was in it's beginning stages of development 20+ years ago, they contacted John about putting his name on the game. He's always been apart of the production of the game, as well as being one of the greatest coaches/broadcasters of all time... so why not have his name on the game?

Same can be said about FIFA. They were the first and only game to get the official license from FIFA... so why not have it as your title of the video game? I'm sure part of the contract that EA has with FIFA (and Madden) is to continue to have them in their title of the video game.

And when you are talking to people about NHL, I'm sure you say something along the lines of "Oh this really cool thing happened when I was playing NHL last night" and 9 times out of ten people are going to know that you are talking about a video game and not actual hockey.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:35 AM   #8
Banned

NHL Freeze was just one example. There are probably better ones out there, but that was the 1st that popped in my head, but meh.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »