Home

Why does 2k think that the slower a breaking pitch is the better it should get?

This is a discussion on Why does 2k think that the slower a breaking pitch is the better it should get? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Why does 2k think that the slower a breaking pitch is the better it should get?

I mean i understand you dont wanna be throwing a 90mph changeup(unless your strausburg,and it looks like a split to me)but i also dont think a 65mph is any good.Changes are usually 10-15 mph slower than a pitchers fastball not 30mph slower.At that point its no longer a change its a softball lob.
The best curves are usually between 74-80mph not 65mph
A slider at 93 is not always better than one at 85 or 77mph
I wish somebody at 2k had heard of baseball lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Why does 2k think that the slower a breaking pitch is the better it should get?

It's a bug in player editor. I guess it still exists after the patch. *grumble*
Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Why does 2k think that the slower a breaking pitch is the better it should get?

This is one of the things that annoys me the most about this game. I do not get worked up much about errors or injuries, although with this being a problem two years in a row it should be fixed next year. My big problem is the fact that; first, as mentioned above, pitchers pitch unrealistic speeds, i.e. fastballs at 80mph and below, sliders at 70-75mph, etc. I would bet that not many, if any MLB pitchers throw a fastball slower than 85mph, they would get rocked. Not in this game though, I will take a starter out in the fourth inning, but then they bring in the floater and I can't get a hit for the life of me.

The second item that bothers me is the lack of a pitch recognition. I know this may not be a problem for some but I cannot find a camera angle that gives me a good look at a pitch out of a pitchers hand, so I end up swinging at pitches in the dirt, because I cannot pick up the pitch well enough out of a pitchers hand, and at least for me, causes way too many strike outs.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
Rookie

Actually, there were injuries in game and errors in last year's game. I know for a fact because in my first game I struck out with Hunter Pence and he got an injury that caused me to put him on the 60-day DL. Also, almost every time a pitcher got hit with a line drive it would injure him anywhere from 1 day to a trip on the DL.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHunt7
Actually, there were injuries in game and errors in last year's game. I know for a fact because in my first game I struck out with Hunter Pence and he got an injury that caused me to put him on the 60-day DL. Also, almost every time a pitcher got hit with a line drive it would injure him anywhere from 1 day to a trip on the DL.
Right, I was saying that the injuries have been broken for the past two years. Last year, way too many. This year, not any.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Rookie

Ah gotcha, right on.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

The problem is that 2k assumes a pitch will look the same coming out of a pitchers hand regardless of the speed it is thrown. So while you are right that a 65 mph changeup would be a soft toss, as far as the game is concerned, it will look just like a 75-80 mph changeup coming out of the pitchers hand, with the same arm action.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Rookie

Yeah and even from the pitching angle, all pitches that you throw have a 4 seam release even if it's a knuckleball or something more complex, well any pitch..lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »