Home

Defensive Line Pressure

This is a discussion on Defensive Line Pressure within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Defensive Line Pressure

while playing my games i have noticed that the best pass rushers in this game have an incredible burst off the line and i see on the forum that Acceleration is HUGE when it comes to a pass rush. But even some players with 90+ Acceleration don't burst off the snap like Tommie Harris, Xavier Cox, or Julius Peppers every single snap.

should i be looking at other attributes besides Acceleration like:

Pursuit
Speed
Play Recognition
Awareness

any suggestions?

i just want great pressure/sacks without spending all of my salary cap on my D-Line
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: Defensive Line Pressure

Sorry can't help you I just use my D Line as space eaters and blitz linebackers to create pressure
Old 06-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Rookie

Players with a good strength/speed ratio are best for consistent pressure, because a speed guy going against a OL with bad footwork will win, and a strength guy going against a weak OL will win, so it matters what kind of guys they are lined up against. If you sim, it's a bit different.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Banned

Xaos's Arena

OVR: 15

You just gotta look at their OT and switch your DE around to match. Got one strong DE and one quick one? Match the strong DE against the weak OT and the quick DE to the slow OT like Machina said.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

In my experience using a 4-3, your pressure comes almost exclusively from your LE and your linebackers, particularly your LOLB. I've got Devin Gilbert (again) in my current franchise, and in standard zone or man cover packages he's not very effective as a pass rusher - and with his stats he should be.

Your DTs tend to penetrate on 4-3 line-slant zone blitzes - there are a couple of plays that, naturally, not every playbook has, where DTs tend to arrive in the backfield very quickly. The problem with Gilbert on these is that he's "too fast" sometimes - for example, he'll start off over the right guard, but by the time he redirects he's crossed all the way behind the center and is blocked by the left guard.

For those in the English path, Patrick Lopez and Julian Wilson are better fits as DT zone-blitzers because they don't overshoot that way, and they will hold the point-of-attack on standard plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
Rookie

Ebongreen:

do u know any playbooks or play in general that have these 4-3 line slants/plays that get DTs in the backfield, because I NEED to get my d-line more involved than they do

Xaos and Machina: i'm gonna try those ideas in my next game. thanks for the help

This forum is the best. the only good Head Coach forum on the internet lol
Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Acceleration is big, but without a good speed stat all it means is your guy is going nowhere very quickly. Strength is also a big deal when paired with good speed and acceleration. If you can get a top flight pass rushing DE, he can dominate in a 4-3 setup. The problem is that the actual combination you need for a consistant pass rush is kinda hard to come by.

What I would suggest is looking at each of those players you mentioned. Cox, Calais Campbell, and Julius Peppers all have great consistancy as DEs. Check out those players in the player progression screen. See what skills all those players have in common. Check out their strong points and their weak points. Then, pattern your DE's that you draft after those guys. You're probably going to be looking for a high skill in Speed, acceleration, strength and power ratings. Most of the guys that are top line pass rushers have a good combo of those skills.

I typically get a lot of pressure on teams running a 4-3 scheme with little to no blitzing. But it only works that way if you get one of the handfull of guys who have the skills to pull it off. Of everyone available, Cox is the best I've come across. Every individual skill rating he has is set to max out in the 90's except one I think. Calais Campbell is also very good as a pass rusher. Starting out, Dummervil is usually available cheaply from Denver and he's also good.

The thing is, if you want to run a 4-3 with a good pass rush without blitzing a lot, you have got to target a top line DE as your prize. Philosophies really don't matter as much with a lot of these guys. Cox, for example, is going to be around the same potential regardless of what your philosophy is. Always go in to the individual skill ratings and use the ratings of the guys you know do what you want to make your decisions on who to go after.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigtoe
Sorry can't help you I just use my D Line as space eaters and blitz linebackers to create pressure
I do the same thing really the only thing I can tell you run the 4-2-5 package and run middle blitz(probably the best defensive play in the game) it works like a charm also there is one team that runs a play called daylight blitz and it works against outside runs(which is really the only weakness to any 4-3 type defenses) so if you get the chance to steal that play get it. I hoped I helped you out and good luck!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »