Home

1 game away from throwing in the towel

This is a discussion on 1 game away from throwing in the towel within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 13
1 game away from throwing in the towel

Dont get me wrong this is a great game and it can be very fun to play. However, I really suck at it. Combine that with the fact that I really dont have a ton of time to play and I had all but convinced myself to go trade in the game or sell it or whatever. I was one game away from breaking it off with THE SHOW. It just wasnt working out, I had been loyal to this point but I felt like it was time to move on, you know, start seeing other games on a more regular basis. I decided to give the game one last go around..one final goodbye...and this happens.

Playing my franchise as the Reds, I am playing the Padres. I tie it up in the bottom of the 8th on a couple of clutch two out singles by Votto and Rolen. The game goes into extras where both teams had chances to score. The CPU threw me out at first on a jump throw from deep in the hole at short, with two outs in the 16th. In the 17th, I got out of a bases loaded 1 out jam by inducing your typical 6-2-3 double play. In the 18th, Brandon Phillips led off with an opposite field double that hit high off the wall. The next three guys struck out. That set the stage for the 19th:

I bring in my closer because he is almost all I have left. First guy up gets a single through the hole at short. I strike out the next guy but give up a Ground Rule double to the following hitter. Knowing that they didnt have anything on the bench, I walk the next guy to load the bases with a relief pitcher and the next to last guy out of their pen, some guy named Tim Stauffer coming up. I figure, easy second out and then I will worry about the third out when I get there and can play my infield and out field at normal depth. After missing with two close pitches, I am forced to throw a fastball down the middle and the guy bloops it over first to score a run. I go 2-0 on the next guy before gathering myself and getting a DP to get out of it.

At this point, I am about ready to throw my PS3 out the window and I am convinced that the game is going to be traded in. I figure I cant play for almost 2 hours just to turn it off though. Now facing Heath Bell, first guy up, Jonny Gomes strikes out on three pitches as I am trying to tie the game with one swing. The next guy is Paul Janish off the bench. No real chance for a homer there so I have to use the contact swing. He gets a hit. Next is Chris Dickerson, after falling behind 0-2, he gets a hit that I thought was going to get up the gap so I take the wide turn around second and almost get thrown out trying to get back after the ball is cut off. Next up is Orlando Cabrera, the first pitch is smoked between the Center and Right fielders and goes to the wall. The winning run scores from first without a throw. I just sat there for a second.

I mean I hadnt scored in 10 innings off of guys that were mediocre at best. It was totally amazing and probably the most gratifying video game experience I have ever had.

Needless to say, the game is staying.

Sorry about the length but I had to share this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: 1 game away from throwing in the towel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestep123
It just wasnt working out, I had been loyal to this point but I felt like it was time to move on, you know, start seeing other games on a more regular basis. I decided to give the game one last go around..one final goodbye...and this happens.
Enjoyed the read. Found the above quote funny. Sounds like breaking up with a girl
New Youtube Gaming Channel -- SpicyChicharron
Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Pro

Clarityman's Arena

OVR: 5

Haha nicely done.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Rookie

Ljm623's Arena

That was a great read, i enjoyed reading it.. it looks like the baseball "Gods" as they say were shining down on you with that game
Old 06-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

I think a lot of people can sympathize with the story. The Show will put you through an emotional grinder, that's for sure.
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Banned

sixthgradetyrant's Arena

OVR: 6

I know how you feel about this game making you feel frustrated. I hit on rookie with slider adjustments. That makes it playable for me: see ball, hit ball. No PCI, none of that crap. It's good for those who like it, but not for me -- just overcomplicates things.

My only complaints now are: (1) jumps on steals are atrocious, and (2) it's almost impossible to throw offspeed pitches for strikes with any consistency (and cpu batters don't swing at bad pitches often enough).
Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Keep at it! Games like this is why I love this game. Its seems you should try just a bit more patience at the plate towards the end because most the time its 3 up and 3 down if you're swinging to win it. Very good game and story.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
Pro

Clarityman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthgradetyrant
I know how you feel about this game making you feel frustrated. I hit on rookie with slider adjustments. That makes it playable for me: see ball, hit ball. No PCI, none of that crap. It's good for those who like it, but not for me -- just overcomplicates things.

My only complaints now are: (1) jumps on steals are atrocious, and (2) it's almost impossible to throw offspeed pitches for strikes with any consistency (and cpu batters don't swing at bad pitches often enough).
How long have you been playing, out of curiosity?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »