Home

Pitch speed slider

This is a discussion on Pitch speed slider within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Pitch speed slider

I've noticed in my last 5-6 games that I'm swinging early at everything. That leads to a lot of foul balls and strikeouts, as I'm usually way early on changeups, curves and sliders. Fastballs, my timing is usually good; I'll be on time or a little late.

I put the pitch speed slider at zero b/c I have slow reaction but I think my eyes have caught up to the pitch speed, and thus, it's causing my timing to be off.

My question is, for those that have messed with the slider, how much of a difference is the speed of pitches with the slider set at 3 or 5 (default) compared to zero? I don't want to be swinging super late at every pitch, but I think upping the speed a bit may help improve my timing a bit.
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Pitch speed slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
I've noticed in my last 5-6 games that I'm swinging early at everything. That leads to a lot of foul balls and strikeouts, as I'm usually way early on changeups, curves and sliders. Fastballs, my timing is usually good; I'll be on time or a little late.

I put the pitch speed slider at zero b/c I have slow reaction but I think my eyes have caught up to the pitch speed, and thus, it's causing my timing to be off.

My question is, for those that have messed with the slider, how much of a difference is the speed of pitches with the slider set at 3 or 5 (default) compared to zero? I don't want to be swinging super late at every pitch, but I think upping the speed a bit may help improve my timing a bit.
I have it at 6. Not only does it help you to recognize the difference between a curve or slider out of the pitchers hand, it has a nice side effect of providing the differences in fastballs between a guy like Ulbado Jiminez and a Doug Davis.

Interestingly enough, one of the guys in my slider set thread swore by pitch speed at 3 or 2 for the longest time. Once he moved up to 5 (and increased the fouls slider a bit) he is not only striking out less, but stoked on the secondary benefit listed above. Keep in mind we play with contact at 1 or 0.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
MVP

Braves Fan's Arena

OVR: 11

I play with it at 0 and hit from pitchers cam. You should give it a shot for a couple of games and see if you like it. It's worked wonders for me, I don't know if I could go back to hitting at catchers cam now with pitch speed raised.

I was in the same situation as you, I was ahead of everything so I bumped it up to 5 and was doing ok but then I went down to veteran and used Titus's sliders and switched to pitchers cam and I'm having a lot of success.

Might not be for you but why don't you give it a shot and see what you think. I don't know if playing on vet makes a difference or not but the game just feels right now.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:

lowering it makes it harder to differentiate between a fastball and a changeup....everything feels "slow", and curveballs are even slower.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:

I used to be 100% sold on zero pitch speed because I had success with it. I was convinced I wouldn't be able to draw walks deep into the count, foul off tough fastballs with 2 strikes, not layoff borderline pitches, etc...

I have to admit, I was 100% wrong. A 93 mph fastball doesn't change at all but your ability to read offspeed and breaking stuff seems to be timed much better.

I didn't see a change in my walk totals but my strikeouts have come down because I'm not a mile early on the 72mph curve as much.

I can sit back and wait on a pitch (look offspeed, react to fastball) and really work the count and still react to even 95mph fastballs.

I wasn't pulling Zumaya 98mph fastballs with speed at zero and I don't pull them at 3 but I seem to be able to go opposite field more on high fastballs and time the curve and changeup much better.

That's this year's game. Last year's game needed lowering for me. The pitch and bat speed were faster IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pberardi
I used to be 100% sold on zero pitch speed because I had success with it. I was convinced I wouldn't be able to draw walks deep into the count, foul off tough fastballs with 2 strikes, not layoff borderline pitches, etc...

I have to admit, I was 100% wrong. A 93 mph fastball doesn't change at all but your ability to read offspeed and breaking stuff seems to be timed much better.

I didn't see a change in my walk totals but my strikeouts have come down because I'm not a mile early on the 72mph curve as much.

I can sit back and wait on a pitch (look offspeed, react to fastball) and really work the count and still react to even 95mph fastballs.

I wasn't pulling Zumaya 98mph fastballs with speed at zero and I don't pull them at 3 but I seem to be able to go opposite field more on high fastballs and time the curve and changeup much better.

That's this year's game. Last year's game needed lowering for me. The pitch and bat speed were faster IMO.
So you have pitch speed at 3?

And yes, I agree about 09's speed being faster.
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Old 06-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
So you have pitch speed at 3?

And yes, I agree about 09's speed being faster.

yes at 3...seems right for me. What is your timing at? I noticed when I raised it from 3 to 5, I would get in front and pull balls that I was early or ahead for groundouts which is exactly what I want to do instead of swing and miss simply because I did not perfectly time the 74 mph changeup.

Don't get me wrong, I still chase and swing and miss plenty but the game seems a little less punitive if your timing is off when pitch speed is closer to default and timing is at default.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pberardi
yes at 3...seems right for me. What is your timing at? I noticed when I raised it from 3 to 5, I would get in front and pull balls that I was early or ahead for groundouts which is exactly what I want to do instead of swing and miss simply because I did not perfectly time the 74 mph changeup.

Don't get me wrong, I still chase and swing and miss plenty but the game seems a little less punitive if your timing is off when pitch speed is closer to default and timing is at default.
Moved it to 3 and like it so far. Fastballs don't seem any different than at zero, but the breaking balls aren't super slow so I can actually read those pitches a little better. I hit a 408-foot HR with Gary Matthews Jr. in my Mets franchise game today.

As for other sliders, I don't touch any aside from CPU Strike Frequency -2 clicks. I try and stay as close to default as possible. Loving this game on pretty much All-Star default.
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »