Home

Any Tips For Manual Shooting & Maintaining Possession?

This is a discussion on Any Tips For Manual Shooting & Maintaining Possession? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Any Tips For Manual Shooting & Maintaining Possession?

I'm trying to learn all manual and it always seems like anytime I'm close to the goal I'm using the left stick to maneuver around and in doing this its always far left or right and then the shot goes way off target...

Is there a way to aim with the left stick without compromising your movement?

...and what are some ways to help maintain possession? I seem to have the ball stolen from me with ease.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Any Tips For Manual Shooting & Maintaining Possession?

In terms of maintaining possession, it's really about practice and getting used to it. I used to get so frustrated, now, I still have missed passes, but I can put most passes where I want them, and I thought it would never happen.

Something that definitely helped me was learning to look across the pitch for a lob pass. When you're closed down, and it seems your only option is to try and fight off the defender or make a risky short pass, look long. Not exactly forward, but even back or straight across. If you're under heavy pressure, this very likely means someone opposite of you on the pitch is available for you to get it to them.

I noticed by doing this, I don't lose the ball in times when I'm trying to slowly build an attack. Now, getting the power right takes some time, but once you start seeing your options before it's too late, you'll do better. With assisted passing, you can make that short pass, because it's just locked onto your teammate, but as you now know, it's different with manual.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

why bother?
no one plays that online... and you'll just end up getting blown out by assisted users.
there is no point...
unless you want to be stuck playing against boring semi-pro level AI.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNWA1892
why bother?
no one plays that online... and you'll just end up getting blown out by assisted users.
there is no point...
The gap between assisted and manual isn't as large as it once was. I've only played a handful of games online, but it's rather easy to hold your own and win against those who'd rather ping pong it or lob the ball up the pitch. Playing and getting good with manual controls also means you have a wider variety of options on how to play the ball than an assisted user does.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38

Manual allows more freedom with the controls.

Not only that, but I'd much rather play against the AI than against some random online.

For shooting, move the stick ever so slightly to the direction you wish to shoot. And by ever so slightly, I mean EVER SO slightly. Just the same as you would do if you wanted to dribble to that point. After you get your accuracy down, then work on factoring in natural curve, distance, etc. into your shot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNWA1892
why bother?
there is no point...
Perhaps we're not all worried about just playing online, and play higher than on semi-pro against the AI.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
Banned

steveeee's Arena

OVR: 9

I don't even have the real game and just seen the demo the other day.. yeah I'm slow..

but I must say manual is the most rewarding way to play this game... Yeah you might get killed online at first against assisted users who play ping pong passing... but I honestly can see someone that has mastered manual be able to do things an assisted user can't and beat them.. I sometimes pull stuff off on manual I know I wouldn't of been able to do while on assisted. I quite frankly can't stand playing with assisted in FIFA games... if I had this game and was playing online.. I would at least have my passing on semi and I would hold my own I think..

btw.. I'm an old school PES addict... but this FIFA World CUP demo I keep playing and it has me interested in picking it up actually... I went to go try to rent it but they didn't have it... I just now came on to read impressions in stuff of the real game. It seems like it's really good but I'm still hesitant about buying it because I usually get bored of FIFA games rather quickly.

should I? lol or should I just wait until fall for FIFA and PES?

Last edited by steveeee; 05-25-2010 at 09:20 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »