Home

ONLINE PASS FOR NHL 11

This is a discussion on ONLINE PASS FOR NHL 11 within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 3
ONLINE PASS FOR NHL 11

Quote:
Online Pass rewards game owners with a game-specific, one-time-use registration code for online services, features and bonus content. Each title-specific Online Pass may be used with upcoming releases of EA SPORTS simulation games on PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, beginning next month with Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 11. The one-time Online Pass registration code comes included with each unit sold new at retail. Once redeemed, additional Online Passes will be available for $10. Fans also may sign up for a free 7-day trial to experience Online Pass. International pricing will be announced within territories in the near future.
http://www.easports.com/onlinepass
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: ONLINE PASS FOR NHL 11

Wow..... really EA? I buy my sports games new so it doesn't bother me, but the fact that if I'm on Xbox Live, I have Gold membership, but can't play online without this online pass if I buy the game used is stupid and a greedy move on EA's part. Paying 10$ to play a game online is ridiculous. I guess this is to combat all of the people who buy the games used, I guess they gotta make their money somehow...

But eh, I'm buying my NHL 11 brand spanking new so we'll see what happens. I'm interested in this "bonus content coming in August". Wonder what that's going to be?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Rookie

buzzguy's Arena

OVR: 12

I think all new games will come with a code for the pass. No need to gather torches and pitchforks...yet.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzguy
I think all new games will come with a code for the pass. No need to gather torches and pitchforks...yet.
New yes, used no. Its the same thing they did with Dragon Age:Origin by giving Shale/The Stone Prisoner for free with new copies of the game or with Mass Effect2 with the Cerberus Network. Its EA's way to combat used game sales that they receive nothing for as an incentive to buy new. To be honest I don't blame them either.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Rookie

buzzguy's Arena

OVR: 12

And besides...who really buys used sports games with the intention of kicking *** online, anyway? The hardcore players are 90% of the time gonna buy new.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzguy
And besides...who really buys used sports games with the intention of kicking *** online, anyway? The hardcore players are 90% of the time gonna buy new.
I don't see the point in buying a sports game used because they're released every year and their used price is usually 5$ below the retail price... at least that's what it's like Canada for used sales. So for 5$ more you could buy the new copy and get this for free.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

This is a money grubbing move on EA's part with poor excuses to rationalize it. I buy my games new but if I sell my game to someone, it means I am not using EA's online services anymore so it is not costing them any extra bandwidth as 1 copy of the game can only be used by one person. I now also no longer have the option of taking the latest NHL to a cheapskate friend's house and teaming up to play online since his account won't have the online pass. This is ridiculous and I will not be buying my standard FIFA and NHL purchases this fall in protest. Too bad since I really am enjoying the World Cup game. If EA wants to play hardball like this, they should really lower their prices of new sports games to $50. Ideally they would switch to a biannual development cycle and just release roster updates in the off years to result in better games but we all know that will never happen. By keeping the price of these yearly updates at $60 and screwing people by lowering the potential resale value of their games, EA is trying to have it's cake and eat it too and I will no longer be purchasing from them. Back to Pro Evo and NHL 2k8 for me, I'll see how long I can play World Cup before they shut down the servers for it.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 AM   #8
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

I only buy just a couple of games a year, and always new. So I guess it doesn't really effect me. But I can see others being a bit pissed who buy games used. I mean $60 for new games isn't a drop in the bucket for everyone. Especially theses days.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »