Home

Choosing a secondary team to root for?

This is a discussion on Choosing a secondary team to root for? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50
Choosing a secondary team to root for?

Alright, so the way this goes... I'm at a Cross Roads in the peak of my Sports watching days. Down one road, root for the team that I have watched for the vast majority of my days... continue getting intensely heated while watching the games on tv, win or lose, and not truly being able to enjoy it. Down the other road, choose a team that I have no connection to, and be able to sit back and watch it for what it is... entertainment.

I'm to the point, where I'm literally on edge for the vast majority of the games, that it's taking the enjoyment out of watching them.

Has anyone ever picked a "secondary" team to watch and root for, that you have no real connection to?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
#faceuary2014

ScoobySnax's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Choosing a secondary team to root for?

I've really enjoyed watching Orlando play these last couple of years. They're very exciting to watch and they can beat you a multitude of ways. The Thunder would be right after them.
PSN: xxplosive1984
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/os_scoobysnax/profile
Old 05-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 30

Since all of my teams suck (though the Nats are pretending to be competitive) I pick a team in the playoffs to root for.

Most of the time it comes from me being unbiased and logical and thus wanting to see that play out. This generally results in me wanting the favorite to win because of random excuses that they cannot win (generally the Lakers, Peyton Manning, and this year Kentucky basketball). Plus they're generally unlikable teams/players which adds to irrationality of the haters making more interesting (and funny) discussions.

I wouldn't consider myself a fan of any of them and don't get particularly excited when they win or lose (unless it's a good game) but it's more interesting than watching a game not caring who wins.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

I think everyone has other teams that they like and root for especially if their team sucks. The Pacers are horrible so I've been rooting for the Suns the entire Playoffs(except at first it was the Heat because Wade is my favorite player in the NBA). I've always liked them. Steve Nash is enjoyable to watch and I love Stoudemire. I don't consider them my 'secondary' team. I'm not big in having two teams in the same sport. Plus even if I tried to be an actual fan of the Suns, I probably couldn't do it as I have no connection to them at all(that's also the reason I don't have an MLB team.. there are no MLB teams in Indiana so growing up I didn't have a team and I find it hard to pick a random team and say it's mine if I don't have a connection to them). I root for the Suns and hope they win, but I don't really care that much if they win or lose.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 05-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 22

I root for whoever faces LA. But seriously, I have rooted for the Thunder and the Suns in the playoffs this year. Always been a fan of Nash and I loved watching Durant at Texas. I would really enjoy seeing the Suns make it to the finals, but they have quite a roadblock in front of them.

In the East I really don't care too much. I just root for good and competitive series, and so far the Cleveland/Boston series has been entertaining.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

The best way to go is narrowing down your favorite players and going from there. The possibilities are endless when you're rooting for a team based on who plays for them. For example, obviously I'm a die-hard Bulls fan and have been with that team through the good and bad (I'm looking at you Tim Floyd/Bill Cartwright era). I also obviously was a huge Pippen and Jordan fan, so when Pip left the team and went to the Rockets I've always had a small interest in what they've done as a team since and then when he went to Portland I was cheering for him, but I found myself growing fond of the Blazers as well and like the Rockets I keep my eye on what the Blazers are doing and can't really root against them.

I'm also a fan of Vince, LeBron, Melo, Chauncey, Wade, D-Will, Amare, Durant, Nash and Dirk. So in situations like the playoffs now, once my Bulls are sent packing it's easy to continue watching the games and enjoying what I'm seeing cause I like seeing all those guys do well. Plus it helps to be a huge basketball nut and whether I'm a fan of the team or not, I can appreciate what teams like Boston or San Antonio are doing most of the time. I don't have quite the little connection to any of those guy's teams like I did for Portland and Houston, but I still like seeing them do well as long as it isn't at the Bulls expense lol.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #7
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

I'm a Knicks fan but I'll root for LA because I've always been a Kobe fan and I'll root for Washington sometimes because they're the hometown team. But I don't root for them like I do NY.

And I agree with the second half of King_B_Mack's post. I'll root for individuals a lot of times because I enjoy watching them play. I love watching Deron Williams, Dwight, Josh Smith, VC, LeBron, Nash etc play so I'll root for them from time to time.

But if you really want to be on the edge of your seat and emotionally tied into a basketball game, bet on it.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder
I'm a Knicks fan but I'll root for LA because I've always been a Kobe fan and I'll root for Washington sometimes because they're the hometown team. But I don't root for them like I do NY.

And I agree with the second half of King_B_Mack's post. I'll root for individuals a lot of times because I enjoy watching them play. I love watching Deron Williams, Dwight, Josh Smith, VC, LeBron, Nash etc play so I'll root for them from time to time.

But if you really want to be on the edge of your seat and emotionally tied into a basketball game, bet on it.
Word on both points.

I do enjoy seeing the Lakers win because all the haters show their true colors.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »