Home

RTTS folks: Ever been rushed to the big leagues?

This is a discussion on RTTS folks: Ever been rushed to the big leagues? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
RTTS folks: Ever been rushed to the big leagues?

Have you ever had your RTTS player rushed to the big leagues? Just happened to me and it was pretty fun to experience.

tl;dr - got called up to start in place of Dontrelle Willis toward the end of year 1 of a new SP RTTS.

I started a new RTTS as a Starting Pitcher, was drafted by the Detroit Tigers and assigned to work out of the bullpen for their AA affiliate. I pitched well, spent all my points on perfecting my cutter and improving control on my changeup. I earned my way into the starting rotation before long and ran up a record of 15-5 with a sub-2.00 ERA. Working my way up the team depth chart was quick. Near season's end I was the 7th rated SP in the organization and the best in the farm system. I was still in AA, not even on the 40 man roster, but I didn't care, I figured I'd finish out the year at AA and get moved up to AAA next year where I'd be one injury away from being called up to the big leagues. We were due to face a team that was on a 16 game win streak (!!!) in the first round of the playoffs and I was looking forward to shutting them down.

Then it happened. 2 games left in the regular season at the AA level and I got called up to AAA and placed in the bullpen. I was kind of bummed to be leaving my team days before the playoffs, but I went with it and simmed to my next appearance. One game simmed and I was notified that the Detroit Tigers had purchased my contract and that I in the starting rotation at the MLB level. First start was scheduled vs the Chicago White Sox the next day. In a matter of 2 days, I went from 20 year old kid pitching AA ball to my Major League debut. A quick roster check showed no injuries in the Tigers rotation, just some UGLY numbers from Dontrelle Willis. The Tigers moved Willis to the bullpen and called me up to fill his spot in the rotation.

To say my guy was not ready for the big leagues would be an understatement. I hadn't worked much on my curveball and still hadn't added a 4th pitch. I had no movement on my changeup. I got SHELLED. Bad. By the White Sox, then by the Indians. Put up a solid outing against the Royals, but at the end of the year, I was sporting an ugly 7.44 ERA. I figured at least I was on the 40 man roster, I'd get a look at spring training and then sent back to AAA to finish my development.

Turns out I had a great spring, made the team in a relief role. I haven't started the season yet, but maybe I can sneak into the rotation for good this time.

Long story, kinda pointless I know, just wanted to share. I LOVE this game. When it gets things right, it gets them REALLY right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Rookie

pagodacrockett's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: RTTS folks: Ever been rushed to the big leagues?

that's awesome dude. i started a RTTS with me as a first baseman and i'm about 70 games in, batting .307 with 9 home runs(yeah i bought some points, so what?), and i'm thinking about starting a pitcher career as soon as i finish year one of my O's franchise.good luck to ya!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: RTTS folks: Ever been rushed to the big leagues?

i've been doing franchises the past few years... this year i started a rtts as a 3b with secondary catcher.. i played one year at AA and did fairly terrible heh.. .260, 3 hr, 35 rbi .. but.. i got called up straight to the royals as their starting catcher due to injury.. i played 3 games as a catcher, and then they moved me to 3rd base.. so as a 20 year old, i am starting 3b in the majors! yea me!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »