Home

Gave Up on Manual/Assisted Fielding...and LOVING IT!

This is a discussion on Gave Up on Manual/Assisted Fielding...and LOVING IT! within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11
Icon7 Gave Up on Manual/Assisted Fielding...and LOVING IT!

I had posted a thread a few weeks back lamenting the fact that I was having to quit Manual/Assisted Fielding because of the sketchy fielding animations down the lines and at the wall, as well as the difficulty in making diving plays, reacting to hard hit balls correctly, etc...

Anyways, since switching over to Auto-Fielding, I have been absolutely loving it! Not only has it almost completely eliminated those down the line dribblers that go under the fielder's gloves...but it added a whole new exciting dynamic to the game. Let me explain...

Before, once a ball is hit, you have to determine who is selected (which fielder) and react to that, which can be very difficult depending on where and how hard the ball is hit. Then, you would have to track the ball down and put the player in the correct position to create the best/smoothest fielding animation for that play....which a lot of times was not that easy to do (just think of all the plays where the fielder makes the wierd catch where the ball almost drops in front, to the side, or over his head (if your not perfect on your location), or if your tracking a liner that is low or high where you need to 'stretch' for the ball...

Well, since switching, I have found the game to be far more exciting after the ball is hit. Firstly, the defenders behave far more realistically than I ever could have made them move...making exceptional diving plays (which I never would have timed correctly...), or tracking down liners in the gap by making a last second half-leap to grab the ball (wouldn't even know how to do this on Manual), or slamming into the wall to make a catch (or not make it...still cool), and overall just really showing how having good fielding attributes for a particular player matters.

Example: in my last game, a pitching duel, we were late in the game...the CPU had men on and I had 2 outs, pitching with the Red Sox. The CPU hit a sailing liner into the Right-Center gap...I watched as J.D. Drew tracked the ball down and I literally jumped out of my seat and pumped my fist when he made the last second half-leap and caught the ball over his head with an outstretched arm...just looked beautiful.

For me, Auto-Fielding is def. the way to go...perhaps even if Manaul/Assisted worked perfectly.

P.S. Added Bonus: Outfielders play ricochets off the wall correctly, drastically reducing all the triples by the likes of the John Bucks, Carlos Pena's, etc...

Also, lining up fly-balls to make a strong throw after the catch is no longer an issue at all. As long as you preload your throw correctly, the fielder will align himself correctly.

Criticisms: You will get the occasional mis-judgement in the outfield, resulting in certain triples for the CPU...but for me it happens just enough to keep it realistic. Also, occasionally, it seems infielders mis-time their dives and either dive too early or too short of a grounder...but not so much that it is aggravating (IMO).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Gave Up on Manual/Assisted Fielding...and LOVING IT!

I've actually been on Auto Fielding since I started playing the MLB games. I find exactly what you're saying to be true; it feels like the real players are behind me as I make my pitches and hope they make the plays. I never really got the hang of all you keep track of when fielding, so I'd rather have my fielders react as if it's really them behind me.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 60

AUTO FIELD/MANUAL THROW. You really need to focus when pitching, so my focus is on the pitcher. I don't want to muck up a great pitching game with me making a dumb mistake with my fielders fielding the ball. Just look at some of the fielding on line and you'll understand what I mean. Some of it looks like the Keystone Cops going after balls.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Rookie

RUKnights's Arena

OVR: 3

After reading the post about auto fielding with manual throws last week I decided to give it a try, and also ended up LOVING it! I was really hesitant at first, thinking it would be boring to play when I'm not making the plays. As the OP points out, that couldn't have been further from the truth. I feel like there is more suspense on whether the fielder will make the play. I'm seeing more/better animations, no longer running the outfielder away from the ball when I think the LF is my guy but I actually highlighted CF, and am getting the feel that individual fielding attributes are determining the play on the field. Of course I might be wrong on that last point since in my Nats franchise Zimmerman has been shaky at 3rd and Dunn has been a vacuum at 1st, but it's a chance I'm willing to take. I'd definitely recommend anybody on the fence about auto fielding to give it a shot for a couple of games and see if they enjoy it
Old 05-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 7

I completely agree!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 14

I am glad that you guys are enjoying auto fielding. For me, the day I switch to auto fielding is the day I say good bye to baseball video games. This is just me. I grew up playing baseball all my life, and the one thing I always counted on was my fielding. For me, fielding is the most rewarding part of playing baseball. So as far as the game is concerned, I would rather deal with misplaying a ball, the wall suction, the outfield tractor beam, and the missed diving catches than to let the CPU do it for me. The more a start letting CPU play for me, the more likely I am to turn off the system and watch a real ball game.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20

I also prefer using auto-fielding and manual throw.

Now if I could only figure out how to turn on auto manager decisions. Anyone know how to?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

I have just tried this for the first time and enjoyed it, saw two catching animations at 1st and 3rd ive never seen before.

Think ill probably stick with it, i like the fact the 3rd baseman "olay" animation and wall suction problems for outfielders very rarely happen on auto.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »