Home

GamePlan Better Include Packages

This is a discussion on GamePlan Better Include Packages within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-30-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9
GamePlan Better Include Packages

So...a while back I started a foolhardy thread, basically decrying the fact that while GamePlan was a great feature, it was a shame you had to use it with GameFlow. Well, someone set me straight on that one, and for a while I was in a state of bliss: EA had come up with a truly innovative feature that would make the game play more like the real thing on Sunday (aka, coaches gameplanning and calling plays for a given situation). I was on Cloud 9.

However, after mulling it over, I've come back down. While I still think GamePlan is a pretty nifty feature that us sim guys can appreciate, i think there is a pretty good chance that you will won't be able to employ packages when utilizing the feature.

This may be just an assumption on my end, but I feel it makes sense. Were you able to use packages when you selected "Ask Madden?" I don't remember for sure, but I don't think so. You by pass the formation selection page completely and are instead presented with a variety of plays from different formations, thus making formation specific packages a difficult thing to implement at that point. Since the GamePlan aspect will basically just be replacing the Ask Madden option for playcalling, I don't envision this issue being addressed. I hope I'm wrong, because GamePlan was a super neat feature I was looking forward to using. But if I can't utilize my specific packages when doing so, I'm not sure if I will.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: GamePlan Better Include Packages

You can completely customize your Gameplan with star ratings for how often you want to call plays in certain situations.

If you want to have a lot of 3 Wide Packages on Third and 5+ you can put those in your gameplan with a lot of stars for a higher rate of getting called in. The way I see it, it is more like a customizable Ask Madden feature than anything. If it were TRUE game planning, you would be able to go before the game (not in a pause menu) and select your player focus as well.

IE - If you are facing Andre Johnson or L. Fitz, you should probably think about double-teaming, etc.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
L*st M*n R*nn*ng

Blaise's Arena

OVR: 14

You know, I was wondering the very same thing. If you can't imploy packages, the feature isn't fully fleshed out. They've made no mention of that, and I don't remember seeing it in the vids, so here's to hoping you can.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
You can completely customize your Gameplan with star ratings for how often you want to call plays in certain situations.

If you want to have a lot of 3 Wide Packages on Third and 5+ you can put those in your gameplan with a lot of stars for a higher rate of getting called in. The way I see it, it is more like a customizable Ask Madden feature than anything. If it were TRUE game planning, you would be able to go before the game (not in a pause menu) and select your player focus as well.

IE - If you are facing Andre Johnson or L. Fitz, you should probably think about double-teaming, etc.
I don't think you know what I mean by formation "packages." I don't mean formation "sets" (3 wide, I form, shot gun), etc. I mean "I want to stick Jermichael Finley in the slot" or "I want to have Brandon jackson in the backfield on this screen play." that is a PACKAGE. the ability to swap players in and out on a given play. what I am saying is that we better have the ability to use BOTH packages AND GamePlan at the same time, otherwise the GamePlan option has come up short and I probably won't use it over the normal old school playbook. which is a shame, because I really like it.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Pro

LoWw's Arena

Does this feature include Defensive Game Planing?!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoWw
Does this feature include Defensive Game Planing?!
Yes it does, but instead of "down and distance" situational, it's based on offensive personnel, which is how it should be.

Like I said, I love the GamePlan idea (not GameFlow, thats cheesy noob stuff), but if they don't allow you to use packages with those plays directly in the GamePlan window, it's an incomplete feature IMO, and I bet a decent majority of the sim community won't use it as much.

Just to avoid confusion, here's a scenario:

3rd and 3. I'm the Chiefs. Let's say Jamaal Charles is #1 on their RB depth chart over Thomas Jones. I use GamePlan and my 3rd and Short options come up. I want to run an up-the-gut run play, HB Dive. However, I don't want to do it with speedy but slight Jamaal, I want to do it with bruising Thomas. I should be able to utilize packages and swap Thomas for Jamaal right from the same window that I'm calling plays.

Another scenario. 3rd and 8 again and I'm the Packers. James Jones and Jordy Nelson are injured. I use GamePlan and my 3rd and Long options come up. I want to run a play with a slot WR running a post. However, with my #3 and #4 WR out, I want to stick Jermichael Finley out their instead of Brett Swain. I should be able to do this right from the window by doing the "TE Slot" package.

How about on defense? I'm the Pack again and it's 3rd and 6. I want to bring the HEAT. They're coming at me with 3 wides, so my plays for this situation come up. I want to run a nickel blitz, but I want to send Charles Woodson instead of Harris or Williams. I should be able to do this from the GamePlan play selection screen.

Them's my thoughts.

Last edited by J Masta J; 04-30-2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason: heat not height
Old 04-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
L*st M*n R*nn*ng

Blaise's Arena

OVR: 14

J Masta,

Your reading my mind, I'll even take it a step further and say that it better include formation subs that I set in or before the game. If it calls default personnel, its useless. I would also like it to suggest packages as well, if it were to notice potential missmatches.

A good example would be it telling you "we're going to line up a TE in the backfield on this play because the opponents LBs have not been playing great coverage on the FB position on passing downs, and this gives you a better target/mismatch. Or we're going to swap in a backup lineman for the TE on this run play to create a mismatch on their pass rushing DE/OLB."

I highly doubt its that sophisticated, but heres to hoping for next yr and beyound

"Do you know how to catch a ball with no eyes, and stubby hands?.......You catch it with your heart"
Old 04-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
J Masta,

Your reading my mind, I'll even take it a step further and say that it better include formation subs that I set in or before the game. If it calls default personnel, its useless. I would also like it to suggest packages as well, if it were to notice potential missmatches.

A good example would be it telling you "we're going to line up a TE in the backfield on this play because the opponents LBs have not been playing great coverage on the FB position on passing downs, and this gives you a better target/mismatch. Or we're going to swap in a backup lineman for the TE on this run play to create a mismatch on their pass rushing DE/OLB."

I highly doubt its that sophisticated, but heres to hoping for next yr and beyound
I'm not sure if you're talking about GameFlow (the feature that has the coach pick the play for you) or GamePlan (the feature that you can use with GameFlow or by itself, where you select 15 plays for certain situations. if you use it w/o GameFlow, it replaces AskMadden and when I go to the Play book I can click GamePlan and my 15 plays for that situation come up, and I (not some stupid AI coach) am the one calling them).

I'm strictly speaking about that second option, GamePlan. I really doubt you'd be able to do it for GameFlow, probably because that feature is designed for casual gamers who could care less if their TE is in the backfield or if they have a power back in for a third and short. But for GamePlan, where I am the one selecting the plays themselves (even thought they're limited to 15 based on my gameplan for that situation), I should still be able to use PACKAGES from the SAME SCREEN where I am selecting my plays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »