Home

Benching Starting QB's in 11

This is a discussion on Benching Starting QB's in 11 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Benching Starting QB's in 11

I remember a few seasons back Ian ran through a few games before release and posted the stats. I remember vividly him playing the Vikings and noting how Tavaris Jackson was benched after halftime after throwing something like 4 picks in the first half. I was pumped to see this level of detail, which I can't remember even being in the much heralded last-gen Maddens, but alas it never made it to release, and to my knowlege was never brought up again.

Since EA's focus has been to move the game more towards sim, I'm hoping this is one of the many surprises they've got up their sleeves because there are few more annoying a reminder that you're playing a game than being in the middle of a 25-plus point blowout and still seeing the computer with the starting quarterback playing late into the fourth quarter. I, for one, make a point to take out all of my starters when I know I've got a game safely wrapped up. I know that NCAA had a selection in the depth chart menu to sub in an entire second unit.

I don't know how impossible a task this is from a programming standpoint, but if you've got teams tuned to play closer to their real-life counterparts as far as playcalling, then the AIs logic should be able to handle situational subs like it does 3rd down backs and replacing starters after the first half of a pre-season game.

So, here's to hoping that this year the little things are there with the so-called improved AI.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Pro

Blazelore's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Benching Starting QB's in 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
I remember a few seasons back Ian ran through a few games before release and posted the stats. I remember vividly him playing the Vikings and noting how Tavaris Jackson was benched after halftime after throwing something like 4 picks in the first half. I was pumped to see this level of detail, which I can't remember even being in the much heralded last-gen Maddens, but alas it never made it to release, and to my knowlege was never brought up again.

Since EA's focus has been to move the game more towards sim, I'm hoping this is one of the many surprises they've got up their sleeves because there are few more annoying a reminder that you're playing a game than being in the middle of a 25-plus point blowout and still seeing the computer with the starting quarterback playing late into the fourth quarter. I, for one, make a point to take out all of my starters when I know I've got a game safely wrapped up. I know that NCAA had a selection in the depth chart menu to sub in an entire second unit.

I don't know how impossible a task this is from a programming standpoint, but if you've got teams tuned to play closer to their real-life counterparts as far as playcalling, then the AIs logic should be able to handle situational subs like it does 3rd down backs and replacing starters after the first half of a pre-season game.

So, here's to hoping that this year the little things are there with the so-called improved AI.
I believe that was a preseason game.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 12

I agree completely there needs to be GOOD LOGIC that takes players out of games or gives the next guy in line a chance to start.

I just started a season with the last roster update, which for some reason has Kurt Warner as a #3 QB, and the CPU left him there even after Leinart (who was having a bad year) was injured leaving some no name as the starter.

There needs to be some logic that looks at the roster and adjusts depth charts at the start of the season, the middle, and so forth. It needs to look at starts, records (potential to get into playoffs), and potential of younger players.

In HC10 I have seen star QB's (ones you know have the highest potential in the game) get drafted #1 and never even play before getting released into free agency.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Uh, I'm trying to remember any instances, last season, where a QB was yanked mid-way through the game NOT due to injury. Delhomme maybe? Russell? I cant think of anyone else who was pulled for poor play.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Banned

Pringles's Arena

OVR: 9

not only durring game play does this needed to be added but durring the season the depth chart should change for poor play
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 11

EXCELLENT POST!!.....You know I am not sure, but I think that NFL 2k5 had this feature.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Should add a motivation stat that applies a multiplier to some stats when a team is doing well or poorly, allowing coaching hires to influence the effect of motivation, and starting skill position players also affecting the motivation for players on the same side of the ball.

Have motivation carry over from game to game, losing streaks bring players down a notch, upsets provide significant bumps or reset motivation, etc.

Have it all be optional, would end up being another thing to manage in Franchise mode, and would be the closest we'd get to having character issues introduced into Madden I think.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 25

Kyle Orton threw 6 picks in the 1st half while i was playing against the Broncos...Finished with 7 ints...3 of which went back for 6.

Should be some type of fix for that outside of switching sides and pulling them yourself...which i have done several times wth CPUQBs playing GOD AWFUL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »