Home

Gameplay alone

This is a discussion on Gameplay alone within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Gameplay alone

...will sell this game. Now i haven't played it yet, so i'm not here to say it will be great, but it certainly has the potential to be.

BB is very likely to catch on like wild fire because of its price point and word of mouth. And thanks to the "no buy" madden fans here, the game will very likely tank when the game drops.

This may actually help BB in the long run.

That means the game will be discounted sooner than later, arriving in bargain bins and what not, providing the chance for more players to finally give it a shot. Thats when BB will really start to take on a grassroots fan base.

Trust me, in another 2 years or so, when madden is still updating its animation model, the general public will continually say things like "do the tackles like backbreaker" until eventually, backbreaker just becomes more popular.

I really feel bad for those gamers who need the NFL. If you have kept up with the madden franchise this gen, then you have paid nearly $300 to EA for nearly the same game.

then a new game comes around for $45 and the fanboys boycott it.

Yes, BB is missing things gamers feel are necessary. But how necessary is gameplay to you? The game is already cheaper than madden, so why don't you just take it as that; a football game which focuses 99% on gameplay and a lot less on the extra stuff, the stuff you pay $60 for madden, plus whatever add-ons they try and make you buy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Gameplay alone

You do have a point.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
Rookie

Draxion's Arena

OVR: 4

We just need to hope theres an BB2.
You make good points.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardz23
...will sell this game. Now i haven't played it yet, so i'm not here to say it will be great, but it certainly has the potential to be.

BB is very likely to catch on like wild fire because of its price point and word of mouth. And thanks to the "no buy" madden fans here, the game will very likely tank when the game drops.

This may actually help BB in the long run.

That means the game will be discounted sooner than later, arriving in bargain bins and what not, providing the chance for more players to finally give it a shot. Thats when BB will really start to take on a grassroots fan base.

Trust me, in another 2 years or so, when madden is still updating its animation model, the general public will continually say things like "do the tackles like backbreaker" until eventually, backbreaker just becomes more popular.

I really feel bad for those gamers who need the NFL. If you have kept up with the madden franchise this gen, then you have paid nearly $300 to EA for nearly the same game.

Yes, BB is missing things gamers feel are necessary. But how necessary is gameplay to you? The game is already cheaper than madden, so why don't you just take it as that; a football game which focuses 99% on gameplay and a lot less on the extra stuff, the stuff you pay $60 for madden, plus whatever add-ons they try and make you buy.
Strong post. You make good points.

The gameplay has been and always will be the #1 driving force as to whether a game is great. BB has the potential to be great. Time will tell. I am pretty confident that because of the depth of modes and Euphoria and Morpheme that Backbreaker is going to be a fun game to play and because there is so much to do with the title in terms of modes and customization. This is a game that should be owned.

At the bare minimum, It should be atleast rented and sampled. I don't care if you are a fanboy or not. You should not be rooting against Backbreaker's success. Even if you support EA and their games. If Backbreaker is good or great. It will only serve to make Madden and NCAA better.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:55 AM   #5
Rookie

jcofor25's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardz23

Yes, BB is missing things gamers feel are necessary.
But how necessary is gameplay to you? The game is already cheaper than madden, so why don't you just take it as that; a football game which focuses 99% on gameplay and a lot less on the extra stuff, the stuff you pay $60 for madden, plus whatever add-ons they try and make you buy.

The NFL License is the icing on the cake for me. With a deep customizer they give you, you can use you imagination. Plus, If (insert fav. WR) dropped a pass, you more than likely would be mad and wondering why he missed that, but if it was Deon Thompson you would think "he's just not that good." Also, with fictional players I feel more emmersed in a career/season game mode.

Madden 10 was good. It wasn't great, but way better than 09 (still not better than 2k5). I dont expect BB to kill madden, but with time maybe it could.

When it comes to gameplay, I feel like I took a time machine to 2004-2005 when it was 2k vs. EA, except EA with a license. Two companies. Two prices. Two different games. BB should please the non-EA & non-NFL fanboys. I can see valid arguments with the injury and fatigue. If you cant get past that, thats your loss. Someone won't need their copy pre-ordered. The game will still be fun and the world keeps turnin'.
---->PURE Post Scorer Highlights<-----
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Gameplay is what is selling me. I remember madden/ncaa back on ps2/xbox days when the gameplay was fun, but I was just as excited about the offseason stuff. Now the gameplay just does not seem right and the offseason stuff is not enough to keep me coming back over and over again like it used to. Backbreaker gameplay hopefully will change that and get football games back on the field.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 27

Gameplay alone is never enough for a game to be a hit, especially not in today's market. If that were the case, All-Pro Football would be the highest selling football game of all-time.

I think their ceiling will be around 250,000 copies. I'd imagine that's their expectation as well, and it's a realistic one.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 04-23-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
Rookie

DLloydTV's Arena

OVR: 12

I think that 250,000 copies is a realistic amount just due to the fact that many people wont get over not having an NFL license

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »