Home

Base running/being picked off

This is a discussion on Base running/being picked off within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Base running/being picked off

I would like to start off by saying I am new here and I haven't found any threads on this topic yet so tell me if there is another place to find this information in case I missed it, thanks.

Now on to my problem...

I have found the pickoff moves to be quite good in MLB 10 to the point that my guys take 1 step in a lead off and I'm thrown out 8/10 times because the runner doesn't dive back to the bag in time. What I would like to know is what I can do to cut down on being picked off, I like the game and I haven't played it to the point I am real good yet but I figure there must be something I am no doing right to be picked off so much.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: Base running/being picked off

good thread. I too am plagued by the pick offs. I turned down the pickoff slider 1 click so its now at 4. The cpu seems to always pick me off if i lead off one step.

so what i try to do is not lead off, but i will still select to steal and the cpu always seems to know and throws over to first.

i am now trying to work on the timed stealing option.

one other thing i do now too is i hit the steal button first. Then when i think the pitcher is about to start his wind up i then hit the lead off button to get him moving towards 2nd. It has been effective and is alot better than being picked off 8/10 times. Thats no exaggeration either
Old 04-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard
good thread. I too am plagued by the pick offs. I turned down the pickoff slider 1 click so its now at 4. The cpu seems to always pick me off if i lead off one step.

so what i try to do is not lead off, but i will still select to steal and the cpu always seems to know and throws over to first.

i am now trying to work on the timed stealing option.

one other thing i do now too is i hit the steal button first. Then when i think the pitcher is about to start his wind up i then hit the lead off button to get him moving towards 2nd. It has been effective and is alot better than being picked off 8/10 times. Thats no exaggeration either
Glad to see I'm not the only one... I have tried the late lead after pressing the steal button as well and it does seem to be slightly more effective.

I really like the abiltity to change up how you throw to first but it just seems like the computer picks you off with the "deceptive" throw over almost every time, when it casually throws over you are OK.

Just as long as there isn't some instant dive back button I have been missing this whole time then I'm sure it will just take repetition but man is it frustrating to finally get on base and be picked off right afterward. I tend to take a 1 step lead even if I am not stealing just to help keep me out of double plays and to make it easier to go first to third but I have had to stop that completely and just take a late lead when I plan to steal a bag.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 13

the only way i know to get the guy back to the bag is to hit R1 to return the lead off. But what bugs me about this issue is that its a cpu generated issue. Meaning as a player, i dont control if my guy gets back in time. You know when your going to get picked off because as soon as u see the cut scene to first, you see your guy just standing there like DUH and he gets picked off.

i could understand it happening to guys with poor baserunning attributes, but guys who are base stealers shouldnt get picked off like that
Old 04-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard
the only way i know to get the guy back to the bag is to hit R1 to return the lead off. But what bugs me about this issue is that its a cpu generated issue. Meaning as a player, i dont control if my guy gets back in time. You know when your going to get picked off because as soon as u see the cut scene to first, you see your guy just standing there like DUH and he gets picked off.

i could understand it happening to guys with poor baserunning attributes, but guys who are base stealers shouldnt get picked off like that
This is what bugs me as well, I have been picked off at least 4 times with Derek Jeter and he is one of the best all around "base runners" in the league and he even stole 30 last year and got caught 5 times so his attributes should be up from previous years even.

I get exactly what you mean about the cut scene it's like they don't even start to dive back until the ball leaves the pitchers hand which even in real life when someone is picked off they dive back before then. Not to mention it's not like it's left handers with great moves like Pettitte I'm getting taken off 1st with guys like Kevin Millwood and Jake Westbrook.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
MVP

Greene_Flash03's Arena

OVR: 27

I'm glad im not the only one here either... I hated it.. Try clicking the pick off slider to the left 3 times.. Works for me so far..

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »