Home

Most Realistic to Real Life Pitch Speed?

This is a discussion on Most Realistic to Real Life Pitch Speed? within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
MVP

RahKhem's Arena

OVR: 11
Most Realistic to Real Life Pitch Speed?

Hey y'all, I don't really mess with the sliders, but I do want to have accurate pitch speeds while playing. Is maxing out the pitch speed putting it at the real pitch speeds, or is it somewhere in between the default and max speeds?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Most Realistic to Real Life Pitch Speed?

Got this from http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfx/
A Fastball @ 93 will get to the plate in roughly .408 secs
A CB @ 77 .489 and so on........

I guess the best way to check is to get a stopwatch out and check it yourself
Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Pro

skow05's Arena

OVR: 9

You must have some killer reflexes if you can hit well when the pitch is coming in at its actual speed. That or I'm underestimating how quick a real MLB fastball can get up on ya.

Cowboys

Knicks
PSN - Skow
Old 04-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skow05
You must have some killer reflexes if you can hit well when the pitch is coming in at its actual speed. That or I'm underestimating how quick a real MLB fastball can get up on ya.
Totally agree with you on that. Probably end up really frustrated....
Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
Pro

skow05's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hittinjacks2
Totally agree with you on that. Probably end up really frustrated....

Haha that's for sure....as if this game isn't hard enough with pitch speed at default.

Cowboys

Knicks
PSN - Skow
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 3

Intersting thread. I play on All-Star and have noticed if anything, the pitch speed on default (5 on the sliders) is too slow. I am turning on fastballs way too easily. Personally I'm not going to do the research on this myself, but I would guess you'd have to get close to maxing out the pitch speed slider to get it to real life speed. Keep in mind that only elite athletes can catch up to a 98 mph fastball. Look at how many MLB players can't hit that pitch, even when they're expecting it.

Yesterday I turned on a 98 mph fastball (on the inside corner too) from Ubaldo Jimenez. I was hitting with Jason Bay. I hit a screaming line drive home run just inside the left field foul pole for a home run. It was the only runs I scored off them in a 2-1 win.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
Pro

skow05's Arena

Well if you can do it more power to ya. Turning on a 98 mph fastball should be near impossible as you said. I think it's more about finding a speed that fits your reaction time accordingly.

I myself, turn pitch speed down to 0 to help me work counts and get realistic pitch counts for opposing pitchers. I still have a hard time turning on anything over 93 mph that's up in the zone (unless its a 2-0/3-0 count and I am expecting a fastball). But I found something that works for me in terms of my abilities.

As far as getting a realistic speed, I would assume that it would be comprable to maxing out the pitch speed slider. That might even be too slow.

Cowboys

Knicks
PSN - Skow
Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
MVP

RahKhem's Arena

OVR: 11

I did some very basic research with a stop watch and with C.C. Sabathia. Believe it or not, the default pitch speed actually isn't too far off. I was consistently getting about 0.4 seconds on a 94-95 mph fastball from the ball leaving the hand to it popping the mitt, which is actually longer than it takes for it to reach the plate. Conversely, when I went to the max pitch speed, the ball was getting there in about 0.35 seconds, which is crazy fast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »