Home

Talk me out of giving up on PSP version

This is a discussion on Talk me out of giving up on PSP version within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Talk me out of giving up on PSP version

Every year I buy both the PSP and PS3 versions of the show. Because of its mobility, I end up playing way more games on the PSP than on the PS3. My goal is to finish at least one season on the PSP, but my frustrations with pitching keep this from happening.

No matter what I try: team, settings, difficulty level, strategy, you name it...and I always give up an inordinate number of hits and runs. My ERA is always around the high 4's or low 5's. I've played hundreds of games and nothing ever really seems to matter. The CPU hits, and hits, and hits.

Is it the PSP version? I ask because I don't ever seem to have this kind of struggle with the PS3 version.

I'm so frustrated that I'm ready to give up altogether. I keep thinking there is something "different" I need to be doing to make pitching on the PSP work, but I'm out of options...beyond giving up or hurling the PSP into the ocean .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Talk me out of giving up on PSP version

Wish I could help you. I heard that they cut roster support and stuff out of '10 for the psp so I took it back unopened. I was wandering around Gamestop the other day waiting for my daughter and found MVP for the psp so I am playing that now.

So I guess that is not what you wanted to hear come to think of it. Sorry
Old 04-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Actually I was going to post how IMHO when the roster update furor dies down I think that this year's PSP title is the best on the platform so far.

I'm still convinced this is the case and might go so far as to argue it's even a bit better than the PS3 in terms of hit variety, stat realism and game outcomes.

I did see a lot of hits on default levels/sliders, but turning down the slider for "hard hits" or line drives or whatever it's called all the way to one and turning up pitch control seems to have helped a lot.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Banned

The PSP/PS2 version definatively does play different this year than the PS3 version. I played about 40 games on the PS2 version before I decided to break down and buy a PS3. Though the gameplay seems to play very similarily there are certain things (such as way too many hits, not enough walks, inabilility to hit many homeruns in domed stadiums) that caused me to finally buy a PS3. It was well worth the investment. There has basically been no work done on improving the gameplay on the PSP/PS2 since MLB 08. Even simple things that could easily be implemented like fielder routes, hot shots that have been in the PS3 since last year are no where to be found for PSP/PS2. One of the main reasons I bought a PS3 was that for some reason I could barely hit homeruns at the Rogers Centre (maybe 1 for every 3 games). I noticed this issue last year and had the same issue this year. There are no problems like this on the PS3, I am hitting HR at a normal pace at the RC. I don't expect that any improvements will be made for the PSP in future games. They don't even have online or roster updates this year. Wouldn't be suprised if this is the last year for the PS2/PSP.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blublub
Actually I was going to post how IMHO when the roster update furor dies down I think that this year's PSP title is the best on the platform so far.

I'm still convinced this is the case and might go so far as to argue it's even a bit better than the PS3 in terms of hit variety, stat realism and game outcomes.

I did see a lot of hits on default levels/sliders, but turning down the slider for "hard hits" or line drives or whatever it's called all the way to one and turning up pitch control seems to have helped a lot.
This sounds promising. I just love the PSP so much. I want to keep going but MAN does it get frustrating. I was just playing as the Phillies against the Nats. Joe Blanton went the first 3 innings without giving up a hit. I was very careful about everything I did, especially watching my confidence level on each pitch before I threw it.

I ended up facing 11 batters in the 4th. Again, hit after hit after hit. I could except that as being a statistical "anamoly." That's the beauty of baseball. Anything can happen.

But I see this type of thing on the PSP. A LOT. Typically, its usually impossible for me to get out of the first inning without giving up a couple of hits and usually at least one run. And I'm talking about A LOT of games over the past 4 years.

Can you be more specific about your slider adjustments? Also, which team do you typically use. Which pitching interface and what view do you use for pitching?

I'm desperate!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yeah, there is definitely catch-up logic at play, which can be very frustrating. You can usually overcome it if you are VERY careful with your pitches, but there are times when even that doesn't work.

For the Jays guy, I haven't played in a dome enough to notice any difference, but if it's impossible to hit dingers there then that's obviously a huge problem. However I would disagree about no work being put into the AI - I really do notice a difference this year from last in the hit variety and range of play outcomes.

For sliders, I'm getting old and my coordination is not what it once was, so the first thing I do is turn down the pitch speed all the way in the global sliders. While there try cranking up fielding errors a notch. Everything else should be fine at defaults.

I go with the rest at defaults on veteran except the following:

USER

hard liners = 1 click
fouls = 1 click
power = +1 click over default
starting pitcher stamina = +1 click over default

CPU

same as above and pickoffs = -2 from default

I have guess pitch turned off, strike zone on and fade ball marker.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Just got the PSP version and it's really addicting. After several games I've found default pitching too easy on All Star, so am going to try upping to HOF level. What level do you find too difficult?

I have mainly been pitching ONLY, thus simming through batting. My team doesn't seem to score any runs when simming, so maybe it's one of those things where I can pitch so well only because my batters are not producing anything? I haven't played a game yet where I've had a big lead.

Last edited by swaldo; 04-11-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2
Try these sliders I made. I play the PSP version a lot while at work (graveyard shift)

GLOBAL (5 is default)
Pitch Speed: 3 (this is a personal preference)
Fielding Errors: 10
Throwing Errors: 8
Fielder Run Speed: 1
Fielder Reaction: 10
Fielder Arm Strength: 4
Baserunner Speed: 5
Baserunner Steal Ability: 5
Baserunner Steal Frequency: 5
Wind: 5
Injury Frequency: 5

USER
Power: 3
Timing: 3
Fouls: 5
Solid Hits: 0
Starter Stamina: 5
Reliever Stamina: 3
Pitcher Control: 5
Pitcher Consistency: 5

CPU:
Same as USER...Strike Frequency, Manager Hook, and Pickoffs all DEFAULT (5)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »