Home

Fixing God-like Outfielder Ability

This is a discussion on Fixing God-like Outfielder Ability within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Fixing God-like Outfielder Ability

I previously started this thread in the sliders section, but I think it's progressed beyond a sliders issue.

I would post my research and write-up on this in the forum, but it's very long and has some very large screen shots from the game that I used.

Click the article link to read it. Return here to discuss it so that all of the comments are kept in one place at OS.

Fixing God-Like Outfielders
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

Re: Fixing God-like Outfielder Ability

I see that 120 people have viewed this thread but no one has commented on it. I guess I should have just posted the article here. The purpose of this isn't a recreational look-at-what-i-found piece that you look over and pass through. I think this deserves some discussion.

MLB 10: The Show has built quite nicely on it’s 2009 version to become one of the better sports game on the PS3, if not all time. They have practically stolen a page from EA Sports, because if it’s in the game…it’s in The Show.

As good as The Show is, we have to accept that nothing can be perfect. Not even in videogame land.

Today I’d like to address a component (not sure if “issue” is the right word) of MLB 10: The Show that I think needs to be addressed and fixed by SCEA. I’m not asking for an immediate patch of the issue (there I said it), though I wouldn’t argue with that. If nothing else, I would be fulfilled knowing that SCEA might take this data and opinion seriously enough to give it a look.
Maybe it’s something worth fixing for next year?

The issue/thing/component/problem I’m talking about today is what I like to call the “God-Like Outfielder Ability.”

Since The Show first came to Playstation 3, gamers have been sounding off on the realism (or lack thereof) regarding the amount of and types of extra base hits when playing the game.

Several theories have come into play, including the adjustment of outfielder speed, outfielder reaction time, and hitting sliders. I have been a part of the club that thought the fielders moved too swiftly and with too much precision in their routes to the ball. MLB 09: The Show did something about this “perfect angles” issue, but the fielders were still too fast…or so it seemed.

Since purchasing MLB 10: The Show I’ve paid close attention to this issue as it’s the one glaring error I see on the board for this videogame franchise in the area of gameplay. Do we have to rely on roster editing once again to minimize the speed of outfielders for the sake of realism?

The short answer is maybe. But the long term answer may be found by making a subtle adjustment to the programming of where outfielders are positioned.

That’s right. This could all just be a simple issue that is fixed by correcting the programming that tells the fielders where to line up.
Many baseball coaches and experts disagree on a lot of things in the strategic part of the game of baseball. However, positioning of fielders, namely outfielders, is something that is rarely discussed – and for good reason. There’s a reasonably accepted thought as to where the players should line up. And as you’ll see below, The Show misses this part of the game – not quite by a mile – but enough to alter your ability to get extra-base hits.

The lateral or horizontal alignment in MLB 10: The Show isn’t the problem here. Instead, I’m proposing that the depth – or distance from home plate – is the problem.

Typically for Major Leaguers, a left or right fielder should position themselves at a depth of 270 to 285 feet under “normal” circumstances (Remember that term “normal alignment” when we get to the images below). Granted, a Major League baseball outfielder might be slightly deeper, but not more than 290 feet on average. A center fielder should line up at a depth of 280 to 300 feet from home plate. With that being said, you also have “shallow” and “deep” alignments that will be addressed below, keep those in mind.

A deep alignment would likely place a fielder approximately fifty feet further from home plate, while a shallow alignment would put them that much closer. So, for the sake of reference, I’ll say that left and right fielders play at shallow/normal/deep alignments of 230/270/320 feet. The center fielder then would be in the area of 250/300/350 feet.

Now let’s take a look at those three depth alignments in MLB 10: The Show.

In the above image, the center fielder is positioned in a “normal” alignment. Based on the scaling in the picture, the fielder is aligned approximately twenty-seven feet from the warning track – about thirty feet from the wall. The outfield wall behind him is slightly over four hundred feet from home plate. That places this fielder at a depth of approximately 370-375 feet in a “normal” alignment. This is about seventy (70) feet deeper than is accurate for a normal depth. (Click Image above for full size)

This next screen shot shows the same player in a “deep” alignment. As you can see, he is aligned approximately twenty-four feet from the warning track. This measurement places him just short of thirty feet from the wall that is about 400 feet from home plate, meaning his depth is around 375 feet – almost twenty-five feet deeper than he should be playing in a “deep” alignment. This, however, is the most accurate of the three alignments on The Show. However, note that the difference between a deep and normal alignment is only about five to ten feet! Without the red line it’s hard to tell a difference in the two. Not good. (Click image above for full size)

Finally, the shallow alignment places the fielder approximately thirty-five feet from the warning track – or about forty feet from the wall. This places him three hundred sixty (360) feet from home – a good alignment if you’re playing deep in real life…not shallow. This particular alignment is over one hundred (100+) feet deeper than it should be. And again, the difference between shallow and normal is only about five to ten feet – hardly an adjustment. (Click image above for full size)

Now before you rip the pictures apart. Keep in mind, if the measuring tool of the grass lines is off – it’s only by a foot at most, which creates a plus/minus possibility of ten feet – hardly enough to suffice for proper alignment.

As for the pictures, the red line is the exact same one transferred between Adobe Photoshop image files that were exactly the same size. I also took the pictures with the screen shot option on the PS3. I did not zoom in at all for the purpose of consistency. I realize that an overhead shot might help decide depth as well, but that would require the shot to be zoomed out – degrading the consistency of the three photos for comparison purposes.

Where to go from here? That I can’t say. I hope others will do some testing and expand the discussion to see if we can get some movement on this issue. SCEA has proven they listen and are willing to work through such problems.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Very nice article! Don't know why no-one is commenting... probably the most painstaking, time-consuming article written in quite some time.
I like your argument but one problem I foresee. I would list your sources where you got the typical mlb outfield depths from because if you don't no one is going to claim your material as credible. Let the discussion begin!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

i would be curious to hear someone justify or disagree with this description.

would be very interested to hear if this is something that we could get fixed, or even a workaround.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I cant disagree with you research, but I do disagree that the out fielders have god like ability. From my experience after playing about 20 or so games in my franchise, I dont see this. I have seen the cpu take bad angles, play the ball of the wall the wrong way, and I definitley have hit my fair share of doubles. I have hit about 4 triples and I got thrown around 3 times trying to stretch a double. I play on hall of fame pitching and hitting with default sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

Without an over head view from a fixed point, I am a little suspect of your distance measurements. Without knowing the angle of the camera frustum to the plane of the playing field, it is possible that there may be (significant) inaccuracies.

Regardless of that point, if we accept your measurements, then doesn't it contradict your premise? If the outfielders are so out of position given conventional baseball wisdom/strategy, then they should not be "god-like". In fact, just the opposite would be true, no?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 6

Interesting. Wouldn't there be a alot more singles dropping in front of the outfielders then, if their playing so deep ?

I'm not trying to say that's not happening, or anything. I only played a few games so far, myself. Once the real season kicks off, i'll start getting into it more.

Last edited by Dabeeds; 03-26-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
Without an over head view from a fixed point, I am a little suspect of your distance measurements. Without knowing the angle of the camera frustum to the plane of the playing field, it is possible that there may be (significant) inaccuracies.

Regardless of that point, if we accept your measurements, then doesn't it contradict your premise? If the outfielders are so out of position given conventional baseball wisdom/strategy, then they should not be "god-like". In fact, just the opposite would be true, no?
First off, let me say that the point of this thread is NOT to dissect the title of the thread. Nor does it do any good to focus on a loosely used term "god-like" and try to disprove anything because of that. There is a much larger point being discussed here beyond a title or phrase in the title.

I realize that the images aren't scientific to a ruler's inch when measuring their alignment. You can tell in the images that the players are standing in the grass rows, and those rows are approximately half as wide as the players are tall.

Regardless of how accurate the images show exact alignment from home plate, they do show how little the players move in each alignment. You have to acknowledge that aspect at least.

As for the contradiction you are claiming. The original thread that I started regarding "god-like" outfielder ability was in the sliders section. We all were discussing how it seemed that the outfielders have the ability to run down everything in the gaps. This isn't an issue of "I can't hit doubles." It's an issue of "That ball should not be run down in the gap," or "That ball should have landed over his head."

Therefore, the term "god-like" was used loosely to demonstrate that the fielders were more capable than their human counterparts. I didn't feel like typing out a 40-word thread title that specifically states what the exact issue is.

Last year I started a thread called "RTTS Crash and Burn" ... Nothing sped head-on into a brick wall and burst into flames, in fact it was a programming error. Does that mean I didn't have a point about there being a problem when the game shut off after training in September? No.

Anyways, the issue has grown into what looks to be inaccurate alignment of outfielders. The "god-like" abilities had more to do with an assumption that they were lined up correctly and were still running down everything in the gaps and over their heads.

I suppose now the appropriate title of the thread should be: "How to fix the alignment issue with outfielders that previously appeared to give them god-like abilities to run down balls in the gap, given the assumption that they were lined up correctly, but now appear to not be aligned up correctly."

But the bigger point is that I honestly think the realism of types of extra base hits (not amount) is affected directly by improper outfield alignment (namely, Depth).

I would be glad to take some overhead shots. I'm afraid of the validity of their consistency though because i can't control the exact amount of zoom in/out when tilting to an overhead view.

As always, let's keep the discussion going on this. If you want to see for yourself, take some screens and post them here as well. Maybe we're on to something, maybe not.

My life doesn't hinge on this being correct or being fixed, but I'd like to think if there is something here that SCEA will take a look at it.

Last edited by jmik58; 03-26-2010 at 02:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »