Home

Idea to Replace Slide Prodection: Identify the Blitzer

This is a discussion on Idea to Replace Slide Prodection: Identify the Blitzer within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 55
Idea to Replace Slide Prodection: Identify the Blitzer

You know what'd be cool? Instead of slide protection we have an ability called "Identify the blitzer". If you think players are blitzing you can hit the button corresponding to the player(s) in the box. If you're wrong, the OL is prone to mistakes. If right, the players are picked up. This would dominate repetitive blitzes.

If you just called out blitzers all game and they didn't come, the game automatically keeps players in to block therefore limiting your pass options. So, if you identify 3 blitzers, your offense will keep 2 HB's or 1 HB 1 Te in to block.

Normally you could call out one blitzer without the playart changing. If you call more than 1, more playart changes. If you ID the wrong blitzer and 5 come, there's a chance your OL will screw up and fail to pick it up.

Zone blitzes could cause trouble, but maybe that's fair.

Just an idea. Something like this would mimic real life defenses throwing different players into blitzes in order to mess up OL blocking logic in real life. It could force more robust playcalling on defense.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Idea to Replace Slide Prodection: Identify the Blitzer

Good idea!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 20

I was thinking about something along these lines earlier. What I think they should do is rather than just having the 4 adjustments with slide protection give us at least 12, one with each direction on each stick and the directional buttons and you could include the other buttons as well to add more or include 8 per stick like 2k does with hot routes, but at least 12 adjustments you could make and maybe allow us to set up before the game what those 12 are but you could easily have a protection scheme allowing you to double team any one of the dlinemen or if you are keeping a back in then any 2 if you only predict they are rushing 4 and you could have enough options to leave the extra blocker or blockers in the way of wherever you thought the blitz or extra pressure was going to come from. Also along with this some of these protections could automatically include keeping a back or TE in to block or atleast telling them to chip a rusher before they run their route. There also need to be way more chip routes for backs an TEs where they block if there is pressure then slip out to be a dumpoff type option after a second or two. This would help picking up blitzes, possibly slow down the overuse of the flat, and really bring value to 3rd down backs who can pass protect.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I like this in ADDITION to slide protection.

And this is a good example of deeper, yet simple. Deeper protection but automated adjustments.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 10

i def wouldnt replace slide protection. its actually very effective and helps the run and pass game if u know how to use it. if anything, just add to it. i could def see ur ideas added to the line protection mix. the more control the better.

this is maddens prob honestly. they dont expand on stuff that works already and add stuff to compliment and make it even deeper. they cut it out, and put in something else in its place, instead of allowing them to work together and increase our options.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO

I like this in ADDITION to slide protection.

And this is a good example of deeper, yet simple. Deeper protection but automated adjustments.
I got the idea from your last post in the "route based passing" thread. All this talk of depth and simplicity kind of sparked my imagination. This could actually speed things up. Imagine coming to the line and hitting 1 or 2 buttons geared towards blitzers you think are coming. It'd be much more user friendly and in reality could be a deeper system than what's in place with all the manual adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Mass Murda o
i def wouldnt replace slide protection. its actually very effective and helps the run game if u know how to use it. if anything, just add to it. i could def see ur ideas added to the line protection mix. the more control the better.

this is maddens prob honestly. they dont expand on stuff that works already and add stuff to compliment and make it even deeper. they cut it out, and put in something else in its place, instead of allowing them to work together and increase our options.
I think the issue with slide protection is that it works with the run game. It just doesn't seem to fit that great in pass protection: which is what it is truly meant for.

The slide protection in the run game could very well stay, but what I was kind of thinking is the game automatically calls a slide protection according to your hot blitzer identified. It'd be one of those things that the game does automatically given your hot blitzer prediction. This would be something that could possibly add depth while simplifying the game controls to become more intuitive. Regardless, if slide protection stayed, having the ability control who your OL picks up would be a huge step forward in the strategy department.

As it stands, one has to be pretty handy with the controls to set up some pass protections that defend certain overloads. Having something as intuitive as pointing out who is coming like QB's do in real life could turn the pass protection aspect of the game back to a football based chess match.

Does anyone have input regarding slide protection style adjustments for RUN plays in real life? To my knowledge it doesn't occur. I think it's an unintended benefit in Madden to be honest.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 03-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Great Idea! Lets hope they can get something like this in M11
Old 03-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

Great Idea!! Let's keep slide protection in and add your idea as an addition!! Would love to see Jay Cutler walk up to the line and do this:

20090903_zaf_e47_861-Jay-Cutler.jpg

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »