Home

Franchise Mode: Players and Draft

This is a discussion on Franchise Mode: Players and Draft within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 7
Franchise Mode: Players and Draft

Hello, here with some more ideas. This will not be as innovative as my coaches and coordinators thread, but it is something to throw out there and help improve Madden 11 franchise and bring back that great mode that you never wanted to put your remote down to stop playing. When we were young kids, we used to always come home from school and jump on Madden and play a Franchise (atleast I did!).

Before I start, EA-Tiburon must put in place a formula for teams to NOT pick-up allstars so we see Peyton Manning on the Patriots with Tom Brady. There has to be a cap limit based on contracts and the overall rating. If the computer AI reads that Brady is 90+ overall with a 6 year contract, then the AI should compute that and say "we don't need a QB." The computer also must read that a team with a QB that was drafted in the 1st round is the future, unless he slopes in a 3 year period (J.P. Losman).

Perfect example Josh Freeman who is 1st round pick. The AI needs to know he was a 1st round pick, in his 2nd year so in the off-season they would not pursue a QB higher than him. The AI should look for experienced QBs to back him up or anyone lower than his overall. If it was 3 years later, and he has been slumping - be it with injuries or just not progressing then yes the AI should go ahead and sign a big time QB or even draft. But, for those 3 years, the AI should NOT draft a QB in the first 3 rounds. Yes, they can draft a QB in the 4-7 rounds, and could be better than Josh Freeman - that is considered a steal. That is realistic - hello Tom Brady. The AI has to be confined to those limitations.

EXAMPLE:

2010 season: Rookie QB Tim Tebow is on the Jaguars, 1st round pick. David Garrard is rated higher than him, so Tebow is a bench player. Once Garrard's contract is up no matter how good he does, the CPU AI on the Jaguars should release him unless he does something phenomenal like win a Super Bowl. Youth Movement, it is Tebow's turn and the overall will just be a number. Say, 2013 he is an 82 overall. He has 3 years to prove he is a field general. In 3 years, if he is consistently throwing for a certain number of yards and touchdowns and the Jaguars are basically winning, then he will progress and the AI will not look for any QBs rated higher than 82 and restricted to rounds 4-7 for backups. If, he happens to start throwing more interceptions than touchdowns, 2,400 yards a season etc. Inconsistent play, the programmed AI will see that Tebow isn't reaching the expectations (code formula implemented) and the AI will be open to draft a QB in the 1-3 rounds.

Hope you follow?

Quick thing about the draft I wanted to mention, since some players aren't doing drills... I think that it should also happen in Madden franchise. When you go to scout in the combine, you should see that some players did NOT participate but they happened to do really good in college. This would provide mystery and suspense and you can draft that guy not knowing how fast, his catching ability, etc and he might be a 57 overall! Potential rating must be hidden cause there is always a Ryan Leaf in the draft somewhere.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
MVP

ZoneKIller's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Franchise Mode: Players and Draft

Nice.I hear ya about playing madden all day very day back on the PS2.

One problem though.The way you think the computer should treat their draft picks.It sound like they don't know the potential grade if they treat them like that.So should we be able to know the potential grade if they don't?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneKIller
Nice.I hear ya about playing madden all day very day back on the PS2.

One problem though.The way you think the computer should treat their draft picks.It sound like they don't know the potential grade if they treat them like that.So should we be able to know the potential grade if they don't?
I think the Potential should be there, but hidden. Why I think, because nobody knows how good a player should be. Yes, Josh Freeman can be Potential D, but let us as Users see that he isnt progressing and use the coaching staff (my other thread) and training camps to improve him past his Potential. Nobody knew Tom Brady's Potential was an A, he was just a third string QB warming the bench. It wasn't till he got behind center, did we know he was turning the Patriots into a dynasty. Coaches should affect Potential, also. Josh Freeman could be a D in one offense, but an A in another.

EDIT: The only hint we should know that the offense is suited, could be by Player Morale, which used to be in Madden.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
MVP

ZoneKIller's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenBalla
I think the Potential should be there, but hidden. Why I think, because nobody knows how good a player should be. Yes, Josh Freeman can be Potential D, but let us as Users see that he isnt progressing and use the coaching staff (my other thread) and training camps to improve him past his Potential. Nobody knew Tom Brady's Potential was an A, he was just a third string QB warming the bench. It wasn't till he got behind center, did we know he was turning the Patriots into a dynasty. Coaches should affect Potential, also. Josh Freeman could be a D in one offense, but an A in another.
Thank you.In that case then I agree 100%.

But If they do not bring back training camps,then I think we should be able to see the potentials.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneKIller
Thank you.In that case then I agree 100%.

But If they do not bring back training camps,then I think we should be able to see the potentials.
Agreed
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 20

I think something along the lines of HC09's team roadmap would really be a great solution here if properly built upon. If done right it leads to the "team needs" deal from HC which really plays into proper draft, trade, and free agent logic.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Rookie

cletusdog's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
I think something along the lines of HC09's team roadmap would really be a great solution here if properly built upon. If done right it leads to the "team needs" deal from HC which really plays into proper draft, trade, and free agent logic.
and on that note, it isn't necessary to see FB, P as top team needs during the draft as these type players are pretty low priority and can be taken care of in free agency rather than the 1st 4 or 5 rounds of the draft.

...and a Baba Booey to y'all
Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 20

I agree that different positions need to be weighted differently within the needs and a combination of needs and players available need to be used to determine trading up or down and players drafted. Also, it would be nice to see different coaches and gms using different percentages there for different systems. For instance if a coach likes to go 4 or 5 wide then the WR4 may get some precedence over the FB1 but if the team likes to use a lot of power running the FB1 may even move up near equal to the WR3.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »