Home

Multiplayer Idea for online/offline play

This is a discussion on Multiplayer Idea for online/offline play within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 8
Multiplayer Idea for online/offline play

I was just wondering if I'm one of the few who would be interested in being able to play multiplayer on the same team. I think that the last college baseball games EA made had it, and I would love to see it in the show. The way they had it set up in that game was that one player would pitch while the other would field. I think an interesting idea would be to have one player pitch and play outfield or infield while the second player plays the other. A complex version would be to have up to 4 players on a team and being able to choose the players/positions you would like to control before the game started. It could just be me, but I like the idea of trying to work with another player on my team because it would make my at bats more focused on trying to do my job because I don't have control over everyone.

This idea could also extend on online which would be interesting. I understand that lag would probably be an issue, but I think it would be a great idea for the future. I'm sure a lot of people would get bored, but I would even be interested in maybe seeing 9 vs 9 online. It would be like having RTTS, with 8 other users playing their own positions on the same team as you. I think it would be pretty neat to get the feeling of "playing your own position and teamwork" This would definitely be a mode for a different group of fans because you wouldn't be involved in every play, but I was just wondering what everyone else's feelings were.

Some features that could make it interesting:

- Player lock pre-game to choose who you would like to hit/field with during the actual game.

-Use microphone to communicate with other teammates regarding different situations.

-Catcher can set the defensive set

-When not hitting or on the bases, have the option to watch the game from the dugout or whichever angle you choose.

-Have the option of fielding from a RTTS camera or just the normal camera angle.

-Have "clubs" online. A club would consist of friends that join a "club" together and compete against other clubs, comparable to "clans" in some first person shooters. Clubs could enter into ranked matches against other clubs and have their own leader-board.

Last edited by aces01; 02-23-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Just trying to organize the ideas that everyone is throwing out there as well as others I have thought of.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Multiplayer Idea for online/offline play

I brought this up last year, and the general consensus was that it would be too boring for most people. I'd love to see this, but I understand that a majority of the people wouldn't be interested because it would involve them standing around doing nothing for periods of time. Not to mention that everyone would be a pitcher I would think.....
Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Banned

Yea I can definitely see why people would find this boring. I think the solution to this would have to be maybe limit it to 4v4 or something like that. It would be neat to have leagues where you have teams of four players each playing out a schedule. There's a chance we could be alone in thinking this is a good idea.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 42

I've been thinking about this idea too! [Not trying to steal it away from you] But I always wondered what it would be like to play 9 VS 9 online. I couldn't see how this would get boring. I love Baseball. But I agree with your idea all the way aces01!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaman
I've been thinking about this idea too! [Not trying to steal it away from you] But I always wondered what it would be like to play 9 VS 9 online. I couldn't see how this would get boring. I love Baseball. But I agree with your idea all the way aces01!

Yea I think it would definitely take hardcore baseball fans to play this mode. I think teaming up with players online in this mode would be pretty incredible. Playing the field you could use your mic to interact and even call off other players on grounders or fly balls or coordinate hit and runs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces01
Yea I think it would definitely take hardcore baseball fans to play this mode. I think teaming up with players online in this mode would be pretty incredible. Playing the field you could use your mic to interact and even call off other players on grounders or fly balls or coordinate hit and runs.
Exactly! I see this as being an amazing addition to an already amazing game. Maybe in the future we will see this.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm sure quite a few of you know about it, but ULTIMATE BASEBALL ONLINE did exactly this. Remember playing it around 2006 or so, was a PC game it SUCKED.

I played in a 9 vs 9 game and it was no fun at all. It was like Road to the Show in that when you start out you have limited points to give your player.. the more you play (and succeed) the more points you can add to things like power, speed, etc.

Here's a trailer for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IVBf...eature=related

I do kind of like the idea of 2 vs 2, but anymore than that and there'd probably be too much sitting around for a 3rd player.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareSide
I'm sure quite a few of you know about it, but ULTIMATE BASEBALL ONLINE did exactly this. Remember playing it around 2006 or so, was a PC game it SUCKED.

I played in a 9 vs 9 game and it was no fun at all. It was like Road to the Show in that when you start out you have limited points to give your player.. the more you play (and succeed) the more points you can add to things like power, speed, etc.

Here's a trailer for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IVBf...eature=related

I do kind of like the idea of 2 vs 2, but anymore than that and there'd probably be too much sitting around for a 3rd player.

That's interesting that a game had already tried this idea, I had no clue. I was thinking more just taking a real mlb team and control their players instead of trying to build yours from scratch. Fantasy drafts would probably make it more enjoyable as well. I think that there would be some interest with the 9v9, but I also like the idea of having one player control the outfield while one controls the infield just to get a little more action.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »