Home

PS3 Re-Rating, Appearance, Accessory and Home State Roster Edits

This is a discussion on PS3 Re-Rating, Appearance, Accessory and Home State Roster Edits within the EA Sports NCAA Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball > EA Sports NCAA Basketball Rosters
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 12-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Pro

deadlyCane's Arena

OVR: 17
PS3 Re-Rating, Appearance, Accessory and Home State Roster Edits

Note: For best results you will want to play with fatigue set at 100. I also started a sliders thread listing sliders and results with these rosters: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...e-sliders.html

- Last revised 2/4/10

File Name: BCSplus9Rerate
PSN Author: RuFF_NeXX
Special Credit to: Guru8 (OS tag)

Overview
I took on a project to rework the rosters before I start a dynasty. I wanted to make adjustments for the lack of cpu 3-pt field goal attempts as well as make slight increases to dunk ratings and players being grossly mis-rated (Wesley Johnson of Syracuse was only a 68 on the default rosters). The focus is on the 6 BCS (power) conferences and just a handful of mid-majors. Guru8 has been helping along the way.

The focus for these roster edits are as follows:
- Ratings (All ratings with special emphasis on 3-point ratings and dunk ratings).

- Appearance (face to more likeness for some players, skin tone, body types to be more likeness and limit the THICK body type.

- Height and weight to be more accurate.

-Accessories and equipment (remember though that the real life players change them throughout the season though or from game to game)

- Left Hand vs Right Hand (for players I'm aware of even if their team wasn't edited - I used a list posted in another thread on here and added other info I had).

- Correct starting lineups and rotation (remember that real teams use different combos of lineups, but I tried to find the most often used combo at the time - ratings needed to be edited to get proper rotations and minutes played as the cpu determine play time by ratings)

- Correct home state for each player (necessary for pipeline states in dynasty)

For those interested, here is what Guru8 and I have done so far:

BCS CONFERENCES
1. ACC (all 12 teams complete)
2. Big East (all 16 teams complete)
3. Big Ten (all 11 teams complete)
4. Big 12 (All 12 teams complete)
5. Pac-10 (All 10 teams complete)
6. SEC (All 12 teams complete).

OTHER TEAMS
1. Butler (Horizon)
2. BYU (Mountain West Conference)
3. Cornell (Ivey League)
4. Florida Atlantic (Sun Belt Conference)
5. Gonzaga (West Coast Conference)
6. Harvard (Ivey League)
7. Memphis (Conference USA)
8. Richmond (Atlantic 10)
9. Temple (Atlantic 10)

TEAMS THAT HAVE LIMITED EDITS (Updated 2/4/10)
I went ahead and edited some basic stuff on teams on Miami's authentic schedules that weren't a BCS or popular mid major. For these teams I edited a lot of the attributes but aside from Offensive Ability and 3-Point Rating I didn't go to great lengths to get them extremely accurate. I also went through those teams and changed all the THICK body types to Heavy. I consider these team edits a bonus. The teams are as follows:
I also have a couple bonus teams not listed there where I did some basic edits (not on all the ratings - just partial and starting lineups changes). They are as follows:

1. Bethune-Cookman college
2. North Carolina AT&T
3. Peperdine
4. South Carolina State
5. Stetson
6. Tulane

WISHLIST OF OTHERS TO BE EDITED AT A LATER DATE (May not be as detailed)
- Florida International
- Lasalle (TBD)
- Nevada (TBD)
- New Mexico (TBD)
- Saint Marys (TBD)
- Stetson (TBD)
- UNLV (TBD)
- X'avier (TBD)

I'm not making any promises for those not already done, but if anyone wants to help let me know. I'll give you directions on how to get the appearances and I'll then do the re-ratings. Note that all the lefties that have were posted on this site are already adjusted in my most recent roster update.

Notes and Assumptions
I am adding this section to this post on 12/29/09 to give some more understanding of what is being done here as far as ratings:

3 PT Rating
I increased the 3pt ratings for players when I see those that attempt a lot of threes IRL and their EA assigned ratings doesn't reflect this. What I've noticed and others have noticed is that the individual cpu players attempt more 3FGA the higher the 3FGA rating for that player. This is true for both sim games and games played against the cpu. A player of over 90+ will put up well over 200 3FGA in a 30 game season if he averages around 30-min a game. The percentage of made 3FGA is largely determined by the FG ratings. Both this and the 3FGA rating are also affected by the Shooting Range rating. A third rating to factor in is the Offensive Ability rating as this affects the volume of shots as well for both 3FGA and 2FGA (the higher the more shots). For those of you familiar with the 2K basketball games, EA uses these ratings because they don't have a tendency rating. The reason for explaining this is because you may see a player who shooting 3FG at a 38% clip with a 90 3-pt rating and a player who is shooting 45% from three with only a 85 3-pt rating. That's likely because the player with the higher 3pt rating but lower percentage has more volume per minute than the player with the higher rating. It's also likely the player with the higer percentage has a higher FG rating in the modified rosters. Keep in mind the initial reason for doing these rosters was an attempt to get the 3FGA by the cpu to be more reflective of real life as well as get proper rotations. See the attached spreadsheet for samples of three point ratings and offensive ability ratings for teams edited in this roster set.

- Ratings that could be quantified by statistics were done on roughly a per minute played basis. I say rough because I didn't actually bring out a calculator because that would take waaaayyyy to much time. For instance, if you see a guy who averages 1.4 blocks per game but plays 18 minutes per game, he might have a higher block shot rating than a guy who averages 1.7 blocks per game but plays 34 minutes per game.

- I also placed consideration on the player's overall body of work for his career with somewhat of an emphasis to what the player is doing this year. If a player is having a better than unusual year and has played a lot, I assume the player has improved over previous years. If the player shows better numbers but hasn't played much I might factor in the previous year or two year's work as well.

- Players are rated relative to other team mates and also to other players that have already been rated. Rating players relative to their teammates is paramount to getting proper rotation and substitution by the cpu. If you play with the default rosters against Cincinatti, for example, you'll notice that they always sub the starting PG out after the first whistle. This happens EVERY game, and he usually ends up getting only about 3 or 4 minutes in a 20-quarter game (he rarely comes back). The reason for this is because the starting PG on that team is rated lower than 2 other PG on that team, so he gets the bench and the other two get more run. This happens all throughout the default rosters.

- Players are also rated relative to their competition. A player shooting 45% from the field will likely have a 75 FG rating in the modified rosters. If he has played lackluster competition or is on a crappy team, his rating on the modified rosters may be a 73. If his team has played a tough schedule he may end up with a rating anywhere from 75 to 78 (give or take a few points). With this in mind, players shooting at or over 50% get around a 80 FG rating or higher, while players shooting 70%, gets a base of 40, players shooting 35% get a base of around 65 for FG rating.

- The Inside Scoring rating is tricky as this is affected by the Shooting Range rating and also work in conjunction with the FG rating.

- For stats that aren't necessarily substantiated by stats, I generally just go with what I've seen on TV and go from there. Admittedly I wouldn't say I'm a scout so this part is the hardest part. The dunk rating is one of such stats. I may modify those stats to keep in line with other players on the team. I also would love to get input from others around here.

- Missing players. Yes, I realized there are some missing players and some players that are in the game but not playing IRL (e.g. Royce White of Minnesota in the game but not on team). I haven't yet addressed this because I just wanted to get the base rosters done. I figured if we feel it's important to add or remove players then we could start a list of these players, then get input on how they should be rating, and what type of player they are.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll update this post with any other pertinent info I can think of later. Again, if you have downloaded latest version of these rosters, feel free to give feedback, whether positive or negative. No rosters are going to be 10% accurate, we can only do the best we can within a certain time frame. I just want to make them as good as possible. And don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings because either way I'm using some variation of this when it's all said and done.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Three Point Attempts Formula Upload.zip (16.2 KB, 187 views)
File Type: zip PS3.zip (876.4 KB, 387 views)

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Toronto Raptors
CFL: Toronto Argonauts
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Basketball: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Baseball: Miami Hurricanes

Last edited by deadlyCane; 02-04-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Added Baylor, Colorado, and Iowa State
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Rookie

guru8's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: PS3 Re-Rating, Appearance, Accessory and Home State Roster Edits

Done deal... Let me know when you want the help...
NBA- Phoenix Suns
MLB- Atlanta Braves

'Life is not a sprint, it's a marathon.. you start off fast, and now ya wheezin' in the back" - Jay-Z (2005)
Old 12-29-2009, 01:33 AM   #3
Pro

deadlyCane's Arena

Guru, when would you be able to do some appearance stuff for the Big 12 minus Kansas and Texas. Here is what I would be asking you to use the roster pages for each Big 12 on ESPN and do the following:
  1. Input the proper Height and Weight for each player
  2. Input the proper state for each player (correct states are necessary to determine pipline states in dynasty mode)

For each player I would also be asking you to go to getty images and do a search for that player (www.gettyimages.com). What I normally do is have a couple tabs open in my web browser. One tab has the ESPN roster for the team I'm working on. I would copy the name of that player from ESPN then past it into the search box of another tab that is on gettyimages. I would also have the name of the school of that player at the end of his name. For instance, for Jon Wall of Kentucky, I would copy "Jon Wall" from ESPN then paste it into the gettyimages search box and add Kentucky to the end. The search box would then read "Jon Wall Kentucky" minus the quotation of course.

Another thing I would like you to do is when you got to getty images also correct the body size of players and faces if you can. I hardly ever assign he THICK body size because that makes them look a team of body builders in the Mr. Olympia competition. The HEAVY body type is often sufficient for 95+% percent of the bulky or fat guys.

If you can't find a player on gettyimages and he is not a scrub that only gets 1-min a game, then you may want to do a google image search on that player. That's what I did.

I'll be taking a couple days break from this, so tomorrow would be a good time for you to start if you have the time available. If you could give me a timeframe for what you could get done that would be great. Let me know.

Last edited by deadlyCane; 12-29-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:34 AM   #4
Banned

Bigdmo9999's Arena

OVR: 46

Did you use my latest roster? Cause it had all the lefty and righty's according to that one thread
Old 12-29-2009, 01:44 AM   #5
Pro

deadlyCane's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdmo9999
Did you use my latest roster? Cause it had all the lefty and righty's according to that one thread
Nah, I used a version of the named rosters posted a few weeks ago. I would have volunteered to re-rate your rosters when you asked but I had already started on this. Besides, I didn't want to commit until I was sure I could put some time into it. My wife left me home alone for a couple days so that gave me some time to get some good work done.

I used the list of lefties posted in that thread you mentioned. I have all the lefties in the game according to that thread. This includes those playing on teams I haven't edited yet.

Please, feel free to download these from my locker and play with and against a couple of the teams I've re-rated. Personally, I think the game plays infinitely better with these re-rates. I'm interested in your opinion. If there is a way you can help that would be great as well.

Last edited by deadlyCane; 12-29-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
Banned

Bigdmo9999's Arena

OVR: 46

Malcolm Armstead is a lefty for Oregon, idk if that's on the list, I just noticed it

Also, you could use our thread for equipment, we posted pretty much every change
Old 12-29-2009, 04:21 AM   #7
Rookie

guru8's Arena

I can start tomorrow around 1pm cst.. I have the rest of the day off..
NBA- Phoenix Suns
MLB- Atlanta Braves

'Life is not a sprint, it's a marathon.. you start off fast, and now ya wheezin' in the back" - Jay-Z (2005)
Old 12-29-2009, 04:22 AM   #8
Rookie

guru8's Arena

I'll be cool the rest of the week..
NBA- Phoenix Suns
MLB- Atlanta Braves

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball > EA Sports NCAA Basketball Rosters »