Home

My Foray into Sliders: Patch 2

This is a discussion on My Foray into Sliders: Patch 2 within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
My Foray into Sliders: Patch 2

Right now these are mostly for slow. Right now, there's no major differences between the sliders for me pre/post patch 2, but that might change and mostly as a result of patch two and me trying some things.

I've had two games in patch 2, and both tended to be defensive/lowish scoring games.

Here's what the sliders are now:

Game Options

Quarter Length: 15 minutes
Play Clock: On
Accel. Clock: On
Accel. Clock Runoff: 25 sec

Camera: Broadcast
Changes the angles some and a little easier to see some things while a little harder to do deep passes and some routes - plus I like it the best LOL

Injuries: 38 (was getting too many small injuries too often)

Fatigue: 77 (was 100, but I don't think defenses becoming exhausted during a drive in the 1st quarter is realistic, especially based on play participation info)

Game Speed/Threshold: Slow/50 OR Very Slow/85

Sliders should play well with either setting, though right now I'm using Slow/50.

Motion Sensor Function: 0

Penalty Sliders (for now, for all speeds):
All 100, except -
Holding: 54 (can go to 56-58 if you want more)
Facemask: 43 (not terribly common in the real game, imo)
Clipping: 54 (can't remember when I last heard this called, but I wanted to use it to represent illegal block in the back - probably need to up it as it wasn't called at all)

Player Skill
Passing:
QB Accuracy: 20
Pass Blocking: 15
WR Catching: 40

Harder to get separation and low QB Accuracy hopefully will keep the high percentages to the best QB/WR combos

Rushing:
Broken Tackles: 15
Run Blocking: 43
Fumbles: 52

Had too many broken tackles so knocked this down. Now there's not a lot of broken tackles, but run blocking, and thus gap control, has become the name of the running game

Pass Defense:
Reaction Time: 35
Interceptions: 15
Pass Rushing: 82

Pass rushing might go back up a little, but right now there's 3-4 sacks per game for both teams combined. Might be a little low, but will have to check some stats on that.

Run Defense:
Reaction Time: 38
Block Shedding: 0
Tackling: 5

Gap control, especially for guys like AP, will be the key. Lanes can open up and blocks can be sustained. Have to try to create free runners and hope your DL can help the cause by at least holding their ground.

CPU Skill
Passing:
QB Accuracy: 20
Pass Blocking: 10

Rushing:
Run Blocking: 49
Fumbles: 52

Pass Defense:
Reaction Time: 35
Pass Rushing: 77

Run Defense:

Reaction Time: 38

CPU and human sliders are the same right now, and hopefully, that can stay that way or pretty close.

Special Teams
FG Power: 55
FG Accuracy: 20

With the newly discovered "rule" from Valdarez' thread about not moving the arrows on a FG attempt, I'm missing a LOT more. If anything, I might lower it as I've yet to see the AI miss a FG

Punt Power: 90
Punt Accuracy: 90

Kickoff Power: 50

Sub Out/In

(listed as Out/In by position)
Offense
QB (10/20)
RB (67/73)
WR (58/65)
FB/TE (58/65)
OL (10/20)

Defense
DT (55/63)
DE (55/63)
LB (25/35)
CB (25/35)
S (15/20)

Based on the play participation info from ProFootballFocus.com, changed some of the sub sliders. Now QBs should almost never sub out, even if they scramble a lot, unless they are all but totally exhausted. Same for OL and safeties. DL subs in and out with moderate frequency as might WR and FB/TE. HBs sub in/out the most but a team that uses rotation might still have to utilize the 3rd down HB depth chart and/or formation subs (and remember to use those formations) to get the touches spread right. Especially teams like Baltimore that have three good runners that they use.

ADDED: Sliders for Normal speed:

Game Options
Quarter Length: 15 minutes
Play Clock: On
Accel. Clock: On
Accel. Clock Runoff: 25 sec
Camera: Broadcast
Injuries: 38
Fatigue: 77 (trying to find the right level of fatigue)
Game Speed/Threshold: Normal/50

Player Skill

Passing:
QB Accuracy: 35

Rushing:
Run Blocking: 40
Fumbles: 44

Pass Defense:
Reaction Time: 40
Pass Rushing: 30

Pass rushing seems dramatically better on normal for some reason, that's why it's significantly lower.

Run Defense:
Reaction Time: 33

CPU Skill
Passing:
QB Accuracy: 35
Pass Blocking: 10

CPU slightly lower in pass blocking since their line play seems better than the AI controlled human linemen.

Rushing:
Run Blocking: 40
Fumbles: 44

Pass Defense:

Pass Rushing: 30

Little lower than human pass rushing since the human line seems to pass block worse. Drastically lower for the same reason - normal pass rushing seems far better.

Run Defense:

Reaction Time: 33

Subs are the same.

Penalty sliders are the same.

Special Teams the same.

EXPERIMENTAL SLIDER SETTINGS FOR NORMAL SPEED

The following slider settings are an experimental version trying to get the running game in check and tweak the passing game a bit. Also changes fatigue and subs as well to keep from defenses becoming totally exhausted very quickly, while still allowing them to wear down from long drives and having to do a lot of chase-and-tackle. Power backs can also wear the defense down with their trucking, especially DBs it seems.

Game Options
Quarters: 15 Min
Accel. Clock: 25 sec
Injuries: 38 (might need to increase now that fatigue is lower)
Fatigue: 55
Game Speed: Normal
Speed Threshold: 50
Motion Sensor: 0

Penalties
All 100 except for the following:
Holding and Clipping at 50
Facemask at 43

(Should help with getting barraged on Holding calls as they seems to come in bunches then not get called at all. Last game, though, did get called on some holding and one facemask. The AI got called on defensive PI - negating a would-have-been INT).

Human Skill

Passing:
QB Accuracy: 25
(Overall Level is 14)

(Trying to get a few less sacks but also make lower Acc QBs more up-and-down during games. I play as Josh Johnson with two of my teams and this seems to be case while Flacco tends to be more steady - assuming he gets protection, which then could be up-and-down).

Rushing:
Broken Tackles: 13
Run Blocking: 57
Fumbles: 53
(Overall Level is 11)

(You can still get broken tackles, last game with AP, I got 3 which is realistic and about the best per-game Missed Tackles based on football focus.com. Fatigue seemed to be hurting the run game as I forced the OL to play when exhausted since realistically they don't sub - so I tweaked fatigue)

Pass D:
INTs: 5
Pass Rushing: 40
(Overall Level is 14)

(Basically the same, just lowered INTs so they aren't super common. Had none against either QB in the last game I played.)

Rush D:
Reaction Time: 0
Tackling: 20
(Overall Level is 18)

(Stopping the run should be a little more of a challenge against good HB and OL, however if you have a good DL and active LBs, you can still stop the run. You have to be more careful with run blitzing now as well - if you're out of position, it hurts more. Tackling increased to help stop the breaking gang tackles and pile-ups sort of thing.)

CPU Skill:
Passing:
QB Accuracy: 25

Rushing:
Broken Tackles: 13
Run Blocking: 57
Fumbles: 53

Pass D:
INTs: 5
Pass Rushing: 40

Rush D:
Reaction Time: 0
Tackling: 20

Once again, base is same sliders for Human and CPU skill. Games are close and competitive, but still play a lot like their personnel dictates a lot of times. I think strengths and weakness show up well - at least I see them with my teams and who I'm playing.

Special Teams
FG Power: 30
FG Accuracy: 0

(The trajectory arrow becomes more important. You CAN still make long FGs, but you need a solidly strong-legged kicker, lower trajectory, and max power.)

Punt Power: 30
Punt Accuracy: 0

(Seems to keep the CPU from out-kicking their coverage and I don't see any more increase in shanked punts. I haven't seen the AI kick the ball through the end zone yet, but time will tell).

Kickoff Power: 30

(Still can get touchbacks, but usually they come from only the stronger-legged kickers, and even then not always 5-9 yds deep in the endzone.)

Auto-Subs
Position: (OUT/IN)

QB: (10/20)
RB: (80/85)
WR: (58/65)
FB/TE: (58/65)
OL: (10/20)

DT: (67/75)
DE: (67/75)
LB: (25/35)
CB: (25/35)
S: (15/25)

Seems these help HBs be effective all game without necessarily getting them 25+ carries - though that will depend on your scheme as a coach. The HBs have not "disappeared" in the 4th quarter yet and I'm a run-leaning playcaller. I don't know yet if the split is very realistic, though I do see the HB2 come in, especially if you use your HB1 in passing plays some.

On defense, LBs and secondary don't sub much based on play participation info from football focus.com, that's why they are still low. I do see them get fatigued and it seems to impact play on the field, so that's good. DE/DT *do* sub with frequency, moreso than I first thought, so I upped their %s so they can rotate more and be fresher.

Last edited by KBLover; 02-01-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Support Sim

BroMontana82's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: My Foray into Sliders: Patch 2

can't wait to check these out when the 360 patch drops. in regards to the coaching profiles, what are your thoughts on the CPU blitz? do you still need to control all 32 teams in your franchise and change up the coaching profiles to prevent this?

in general, how exactly do people feel the coaching profiles need to be changed to balance both the running game sim stats and to get realistic user controlled gameplay. specifically, to tone down the CPU blitz when it doesn't make sense..
Old 12-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambf12
can't wait to check these out when the 360 patch drops. in regards to the coaching profiles, what are your thoughts on the CPU blitz? do you still need to control all 32 teams in your franchise and change up the coaching profiles to prevent this?
Probably. I admit I don't do much on that front (though it's not like you lose much other than the ability to make trades, at least in the sense of dealing with the CPU).

I use the default profiles and see some measure of blitz, sometimes all out, but I do see them back out as well, so it's not as though they blitz every down or even every passing down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambf12
in general, how exactly do people feel the coaching profiles need to be changed to balance both the running game sim stats and to get realistic user controlled gameplay. specifically, to tone down the CPU blitz when it doesn't make sense..
Changing coaching profiles might or might not change the strategic logic of the blitz. It might just be a straight "Blitz X% of the time at Y defensive aggression" or something similar. All the accounts I've read have mentioned lowering how much blitzing so you have to read coverage more, not that the blitzing became smarter/more strategically good/surprising, though I'm not the best person to ask.

I'm just to get the gameplay good with as little manipulations of that nature as possible
Old 12-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Hi,

I set sliders post patch 1 but they are useless right now with the new patch. So, I tried yours and they are pretty good.

I think there are still some points to work on :

- Too much injuries (but I have to check that in Franchise Mode).
- I have a hard time running the ball but maybe it's my fault (I am a Saints fan for some years so I used to pass a lot and not run that much !). Furthermore, the Saints' RB are underrated so...
- The CPU QB have way too much time in the pocket (sometimes about 7 or 8 sec !). For some reasons, the time for the human QB is fine even if the sliders are the same fo human and CPU (thanks EA Sports !).
- Related to the previous point, I don't have enough sacks on defense(about 1 or 2 a game). Again, on offense, it's just fine (about 2, 3 or 4).
- To my taste, there is not enough subs for the RB, DT, DE, LB and CB. I am working on it.
- For Sp Teams, I used those and I think this is fine, maybe you can try this (for Punt and Kickoff I mean) :
FG Power : 55
FG Accuracy : 20
Punt Power : 85
Punt Accuracy : 90
Kickoff Power : 52

You didn't give us your penalty sliders. I am very curious about what you did in this area. For now, I used those :
Offside : 100
False Start : 100
Holding : 52
Facemask : 55
Off/Def Pass Interference : 100
KR/PR Interference : 100
Clipping : 60 (maybe too high, I get too many of it)
Intentional Grounding : 100
Roughing the Passer/Kicker : 100

Again, congratulations for your sliders, they are very promising.

p.s. : I visit this site for a long time but I just register because of your sliders !

p.p.s. : sorry for my English but I am French (and we are very bad in foreign language !).
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. V. Lombardi

Last edited by Farwing; 12-06-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Support Sim

BroMontana82's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Probably. I admit I don't do much on that front (though it's not like you lose much other than the ability to make trades, at least in the sense of dealing with the CPU).

I use the default profiles and see some measure of blitz, sometimes all out, but I do see them back out as well, so it's not as though they blitz every down or even every passing down.

Changing coaching profiles might or might not change the strategic logic of the blitz. It might just be a straight "Blitz X% of the time at Y defensive aggression" or something similar. All the accounts I've read have mentioned lowering how much blitzing so you have to read coverage more, not that the blitzing became smarter/more strategically good/surprising, though I'm not the best person to ask.

I'm just to get the gameplay good with as little manipulations of that nature as possible
i hear you. i don't min the CPU blitzing but for me the problem was the all out blitz or 8 man rush in situations that just don't make sense...like 3rd an long. it would basically leave the TE or slot receiver wide open and you were pretty much guranteed a 1st down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farwing
Hi,

I set sliders post patch 1 but they are useless right now with the new patch. So, I tried yours and they are pretty good.

- I have a hard time running the ball but maybe it's my fault (I am a Saints fan for some years so I used to pass a lot and not run that much !). Furthermore, the Saints' RB are underrated so...
- The CPU QB have way too much time in the pocket (sometimes about 7 or 8 sec !). For some reasons, the time for the human QB is fine even if the sliders are the same fo human and CPU (thanks EA Sports !).
- Related to the previous point, I don't have enough sacks on defense(about 1 or 2 a game). Again, on offense, it's just fine (about 2, 3 or 4).
- To my taste, there is not enough subs for the RB, DT, DE, LB and CB. I am working on it.
- For Sp Teams, I used those and I think this is fine, maybe you can try this (for Punt and Kickoff I mean) :

You didn't give us your penalty sliders. I am very curious about what you did in this area. For now, I used those :

p.s. : I visit this site for a long time but I just register because of your sliders !

p.p.s. : sorry for my English but I am French (and we are very bad in foreign language !).
All these sliders should be tried in Franchise mode due to the fact that Coaching schemes are in effect in Franchise mode only. "Play now" has all teams the exact same when playing and just uses player ratings to determine outcome....Coaching schemes allows you to have a team play like it's true life counuterpart.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Old 12-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymee13
All these sliders should be tried in Franchise mode due to the fact that Coaching schemes are in effect in Franchise mode only. "Play now" has all teams the exact same when playing and just uses player ratings to determine outcome....Coaching schemes allows you to have a team play like it's true life counuterpart.
Yeah, I know and this is what I am doing. What I mean about injury slider it is that I have to play a whole season and not just a few games (in franchise mode) as I did for now. That's it.
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. V. Lombardi
Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:

Yeah, I think it's related to fatigue (players playing tired tends to up injury chances, I'm guessing). Maybe I'm moving the injury slider the wrong way also. Maybe I should move it up to lower injuries.

Quote:
They probably are, yeah.

Sometimes the running game comes and goes. One game I got 4.9 yds per carry with Rice, the next game? 2.6 yards per carry. If it constantly is too tough, though, do let me know.

Quote:
I've noticed this as well, especially since patch 2. I have been thinking about going up to 90 Pass Rushing again for the Human pass rush. Either that or try lowering CPU pass blocking to like 5.

Quote:
Same here - 1 to 2 per game for me. I'll tweak human pass rush and see what happens.

Quote:
I used the info based on a site per the NFL play participation. That said, I might need to up fatigue some. Still, in the NFL, LBs don't always sub out - Ray Lewis, for example, played in 100% of plays in many games. Some teams had LBs who played 70+ plays, etc.

Same for DBs - they don't sub out all that much in real life.

HB and on the DL, yeah, I think it needs some tweaking.

Quote:
I'm a little leery of upping kick off power unless I'm under-estimating how many touchbacks there are. I'll give the punt power a shot. Lowering it might give the AI better chance to not kick the ball out of the freaking end zone so much.

Quote:
I haven't fooled with penalties much yet. Penalties are as much just animation as they are calling the actual penalty. I plan to revisit penalties, but right now, yeah, I don't really have any in that regard. I don't like how the game does penalties anyway - I rarely saw more than 3-5 per game anyway.

Quote:

Thank you, I'm glad you liked them.

Don't worry about your English, I understood you just fine.

Last edited by KBLover; 12-06-2009 at 03:37 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »