Home

problems with shooting free throws

This is a discussion on problems with shooting free throws within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Rookie

broman007's Arena

OVR: 3
problems with shooting free throws

Does anyone have any problems with this? Im using the Bucks in my assoc. and granted that they suck (except brandon jennings) Im shooting HORRIBLE from the ft line. In 5 games, im shooting below 30% from the line. Is it this patch that got it messed up or is it just me??

R.I.P. Bernie Mac, Issac Hayes, and "Sho'nuff" Julius Carry III
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: problems with shooting free throws

I'm not sure what system you have (or if it even makes a difference) but I couldn't figure this out for a long time until I saw someone mention on here that there's a lag on free throw shooting and (in my case at least) they're right.

For some reason, on the first of two free throw attempts, the release point is extremely early. In many of my players' cases, it's just a little more than a tap of the right stick (Ben Gordon). On that first try, it's definitely not at release point.

The second free throw reverts back to a more normal release point, though it still does not feel quite as fluid as last year (I still have to release just a tiny, tiny bit early).

On And-1's, the one free throw is a generally normal release (like the second of two free throws).
Old 11-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Pro

dramachild11's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I'm not sure what system you have (or if it even makes a difference) but I couldn't figure this out for a long time until I saw someone mention on here that there's a lag on free throw shooting and (in my case at least) they're right.

For some reason, on the first of two free throw attempts, the release point is extremely early. In many of my players' cases, it's just a little more than a tap of the right stick (Ben Gordon). On that first try, it's definitely not at release point.

The second free throw reverts back to a more normal release point, though it still does not feel quite as fluid as last year (I still have to release just a tiny, tiny bit early).

On And-1's, the one free throw is a generally normal release (like the second of two free throws).
this is not new, the same as last year actually... but yeah free throws are really annoying this year, i found that using the side camera view really helps with the release point
Old 11-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramachild11
this is not new, the same as last year actually... but yeah free throws are really annoying this year, i found that using the side camera view really helps with the release point
Really? Do you mean online last year? Or on Playstation 3? I am 99.9% certain this problem was not in the same stratosphere in terms of severity in 2K9 for 360 offline. Last year both free throws appeared to have identical release points so, while perhaps those releases were not exactly at the moment the player let go of the shot, it was still possible to time out and learn uniformly.

This year, it took me a month of gameplay and someone else's suggestion on this website to realize that, on two free throws, the first attempt will have a vastly different release point than the second. As a fellow who normally makes an unrealistically high percentage of his video game free throws in past iterations, I was shooting an unrealistically low percentage at the start of this year's edition (2K10) due to the inconsistant release points. I've picked up on the pattern now, but it certainly appears (in my case anyway) to be a more severe problem than years past.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by broman007
Does anyone have any problems with this? Im using the Bucks in my assoc. and granted that they suck (except brandon jennings) Im shooting HORRIBLE from the ft line. In 5 games, im shooting below 30% from the line. Is it this patch that got it messed up or is it just me??
My suggestion is to just turn real free-throw percentage (real FT%) on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Hey guys,

It was the same thing in 2k9 it was just that they fixed it with the patch. I actually enjoy it being in there, because if it wasn't for that, my free throw percentage would be ridiculously high. This way, sometimes I forget about having to do it early and miss something obvious. Oh - and keep in mind - if you are finishing off an and-one then you want to hold on to the free-throw for the longer - unlike the first free-throw in a two free-throw situation.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Rookie

broman007's Arena

OVR: 3

Ok, I thought it was just me.....I will try the different release points and see what happens with it, i was just making sure that it wasnt me, because now im 0-5 with the bucks!!!

R.I.P. Bernie Mac, Issac Hayes, and "Sho'nuff" Julius Carry III
Old 11-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
Pro

wepr3's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by broman007
Ok, I thought it was just me.....I will try the different release points and see what happens with it, i was just making sure that it wasnt me, because now im 0-5 with the bucks!!!
I thought I was crazy. Be it Jameer Nelson (good FT shooter) or Dwight Howard (horrible FT shooter), I would hit the first, and almost always miss the second.

Thank you for letting me know that I'm not alone!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »