Home

Re-ratings and Appearance Adjustments

This is a discussion on Re-ratings and Appearance Adjustments within the EA Sports NCAA Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball > EA Sports NCAA Basketball Rosters
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Rookie

Jason2112's Arena

OVR: 19
Re-ratings and Appearance Adjustments

Hey guys. I'm not too confident in EA's rating adjustments after seeing that Wesley Johnson for Syracuse, who happens to be having a ridiculous season, was not rerated and remains a 69 overall, so I'm gonna get the ratings adjustments started like I did last year. Also, the starting lineups for a bunch of teams are waaay out of whack. I'll be working on these ratings using a combination of strength of schedule combined with the actual season stats for the players. I know a lot of people are against re-rating players, but I am a total nut for realism so there is absolutely no bias with me. I actually hate Syracuse, but it just kills me that Rick Jackson is an 81 and Wes Johnson is still a 69 overall. I'm a stats guy so hopefully someone will step up and help with appearances which is a big issue this year as well. Let me know what y'all think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
MVP

deadlyCane's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Re-ratings and Appearance Adjustments

This is a repost and I see you're on xbox whereas I'm on PS3 but I'll post this anyway.

I don't know if this has been brought up in this thread, so please bear with me. The AI doesn't attempt a sufficient number of three pointers when you play against them. I've noticed in my games that unless you're playing a team like Duke with a bunch of 3pt shooters the cpu will average around 10 3pt attempts per game. That's way below last year's average. Evansville attempted the fewest threes of the 343 teams last year and they averaged 10 attempts per game. Georgetown, which runs a slow offense was in the middle, ranking 171 out of 343 teams and averaged 18 attempts. So as you can see the game doesn't capture this aspect of college basketball well.

What I've noticed is one way to help with this is to up the 3pt ratings for certain players. You'll also find that high tempo teams with 3pt shooters shoot more threes, but still the percentage of shots that are 3pt attempts vs their overall field goal attempts is much lower than real life. They'll shoot more threes only because they put up more shots but it's still not reflective of how they run their offense. You really don't see the AI taking the three with a player unless he is rated high 70s, preferably around 80. Compounding matters is I also see that there are a lot of players who around the 30 to 35% clip from 3pt range rated as highs 50s or in the 60s for that category. IMO these players should be rated in the 70s at a minimum. The problem is bigger for mid majors. It's like EA decided they don't know how to shoot threes.

Basically the reason for this post is asking the roster editors to increase 3 point shooting for a significant number of players when you get to editing players. Players already rated 80 and over in 3pt shooting may be fine, but of course if changes are made to other players then it would make sense to at least review these 80-rated players to make sure they still are better shooters relative to the ones re-rated. This would make for a more enjoyable and more realistic college basketball game experience. Let me know if ya'll have questions.

Also see the following thread for other details: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ost-dunks.html

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Toronto Raptors
CFL: Toronto Argonauts
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Basketball: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Baseball: Miami Hurricanes
Old 11-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Rookie

Jason2112's Arena

Good info man. I will try to implement this into the re-rates. I'm pretty confident that we can all get this game running perfectly, or at least close.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

good to see you on this, jason! i enjoyed working with you on the file last year (incorporating the classic teams). i'm STILL getting requests for that file, and i can't begin to tell you how many hundreds of requests i got for that. you did a GREAT job on this and i HIGHLY recommend this to everyone once it's completed.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Rookie

Jason2112's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
good to see you on this, jason! i enjoyed working with you on the file last year (incorporating the classic teams). i'm STILL getting requests for that file, and i can't begin to tell you how many hundreds of requests i got for that. you did a GREAT job on this and i HIGHLY recommend this to everyone once it's completed.
Thank you very much. Those classic teams you worked on were awesom! I put in a lot of time and effort last year on the regular teams to get the rosters as close to real life as humanly possible. I'm working on starting lineups and ratings as we speak, but I cannot fathom how the default rosters in this game are acceptable to EA. The starting lineups are all jacked up so right now, my first thing is getting the starters in the major conferences right. I am a total nut for realism so I assure everyone that there is absolutely no bias in my re-rates. I go off of statistics and I also factor in strength of schedule because you don't necessarily deserve a 90+ rating if you score 50 points against a Div. II team. Let me know if anyone has any questions or concerns.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Ice Cold

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2112
Thank you very much. Those classic teams you worked on were awesom! I put in a lot of time and effort last year on the regular teams to get the rosters as close to real life as humanly possible. I'm working on starting lineups and ratings as we speak, but I cannot fathom how the default rosters in this game are acceptable to EA. The starting lineups are all jacked up so right now, my first thing is getting the starters in the major conferences right. I am a total nut for realism so I assure everyone that there is absolutely no bias in my re-rates. I go off of statistics and I also factor in strength of schedule because you don't necessarily deserve a 90+ rating if you score 50 points against a Div. II team. Let me know if anyone has any questions or concerns.
This sounds great! Can't wait to get a hold of these rosters.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
Rookie

Jason2112's Arena

Here is an explanation of my re-rate system. If anyone wants to chip in and help me finish this project, just let me know. I have 7 conferences complete.
Use http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/standings and click on the team you are re-rating to get the stats and also look at the games started column to edit starters. The main things to look at are PPG, Rebounds, and 3 point percentage. It would take forever to modify everything so just focus on the main stuff. For instance, if a players 3 point percentage is a 30 percent, then you start with a 70 3pt rating. If it's 35 percent, then you start with a 75 rating, 40 percent 80, 45% 85, and 50% 90, etc. Then you divide their 3 pointers made by .4 and add that to the rating. So if a guy has a 50% 3pt percentage and he makes 2 per game, his rating would be a 95. It sounds more complicated then it is. Once you get used to it, it's pretty easy. I like to give credit for making more 3 pointers per game so that's why I added this wrinkle.

Final step: use http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html to see the team's RPI that you are rating. So in this example we have of a player having a 50% 3pointers made percentage while averaging 2 3pointers per game we set him at a 95 rating. Well if he plays for a team that has an RPI of .500 then we would take 5 points away from his rating. If his team had a perfect 1.000 RPI then we wouldn't deduct anything from his rating. If his team had a .600 RPI, then we would only deduct 4 from his rating. If the team had a .700 RPI then we would deduct 3. Also, you just have to round up or down depending on the RPI. I wanted to rate players according to their teams strength of schedule and power ratings.
This example is for 3 point ratings, which should help the simulation immensely. Just use your best judgment on offensive and defensive ratings, but try to stick with a statistical basis for your re-rates. It keeps bias to a minimal, and I think everyone will definitely like our final results.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Rookie

Jason2112's Arena

Hey everyone, my update is finished (for now anyways.) I've got all the glaring mistakes of the default roster corrected (I hope.) Let me know of any feedback you all have. It's in the EA locker under Jason2112Update. Enjoy, and don't be too hard on me because the there is no such thing as a perfect roster, but hopefully I've made this thing a little more respectable. The most laughable correction to EA's default roster was Stanley Robinson of UConn originally had a 47 dunk rating. Guess someone missed the dunkfest he put on at the NCAA Tourney last year huh?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball > EA Sports NCAA Basketball Rosters »