Home

Ever had somebody try to back out of a ebay transaction?

This is a discussion on Ever had somebody try to back out of a ebay transaction? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23
Ever had somebody try to back out of a ebay transaction?

Here's the deal. I won an ebay auction for an audio receiver and paid for it. The seller sent me a request to cancel the transaction with some excuse that the search function wasn't working and potential buyers might have made it go for a higher price. I declined the request b/c I had no trouble looking up items and he should have set a reserve price.

Curious situation. If he's a stand-up person he'll go ahead a ship it. Not sure what the ebay penalty is for not living up to your end of a completed transaction. Obviously, I run the risk of getting some tampered electronics if he's still forced to ship.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
MVP

chippered's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Ever had somebody try to back out of a ebay transaction?

What is his return policy?

Brewers League Baseball
Indianapolis Clowns
Old 11-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippered
What is his return policy?
What do you mean? Says buyer has 7 days after receiving it, to make a return for a refund.

He's basically trying to weasel out of not honoring the transaction b/c he didn't get make as much money as he was hoping. That's why they allow you to set a reserve price (costs extra)--which he didn't do.

That way you don't have to honor the closing bid.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
MVP

dunnyduns's Arena

OVR: 11

To be fair to the seller I don't think he is making excuses and trying to weasel out of the sell because he didn't get the price he wanted. Saturday Ebay did have a problem with their search feature not working because I tried a few times Saturday night to search for some items and nothing came up and it seemed to be a common problem for people trying to use Ebay on Saturday. So, it did potentially cost the guy some bids. http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/11/...ils-for-hours/

Who knows if the item would have sold for more but, the guy has a legit beef with Ebay and not you though. I think he is within reason to ask you cancel the transaction but, ultimately he should go to Ebay and complain not that they will probably do anything about it. Did the auction end on Saturday?? If it did then I personally would put myself in the sellers shoes and cancel the transaction in all fairness to the guy. But, it's your call as you won the auction so it's up to you if you think the guy should pay for Ebay's problem.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
MVP

judgejudy's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnyduns
To be fair to the seller I don't think he is making excuses and trying to weasel out of the sell because he didn't get the price he wanted. Saturday Ebay did have a problem with their search feature not working because I tried a few times Saturday night to search for some items and nothing came up and it seemed to be a common problem for people trying to use Ebay on Saturday. So, it did potentially cost the guy some bids. http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/11/...ils-for-hours/

Who knows if the item would have sold for more but, the guy has a legit beef with Ebay and not you though. I think he is within reason to ask you cancel the transaction but, ultimately he should go to Ebay and complain not that they will probably do anything about it. Did the auction end on Saturday?? If it did then I personally would put myself in the sellers shoes and cancel the transaction in all fairness to the guy. But, it's your call as you won the auction so it's up to you if you think the guy should pay for Ebay's problem.
I can also vouch for the "unable to search" glitch. I was trying to find some stuff and it kept giving me an error, so I'd have to side with the seller.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

I got some cheap ps3 games because of the search error.

If he doesn't ship, just hit him with negative feedback, that's what it's there for. It's not your fault ebay messed up, if the sellers have any issue, they should take it up with ebay. Tampering or breaking the item because he didn't like the price he got would only make things worse on his end as a reputable seller.

Last edited by bkfount; 11-23-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Is this a ebay store?

Just curious to see if you could perhaps get a different audio recorder at a discounted rate for doing the favor.

But, it's tough for both sides, so I can't really advise on what you should do.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 11-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

Update: Apparently, ebay will allow him to decline shipping without a penalty. He has made a counter offer that I add $18 to what I've already paid. These issues are why ebay has a Reserve Price and Buy It Now option. That way you get what you think you deserve. If not, anyone can decided hey, i didn't get enough so i'm not shipping.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »