Home

[Speculation] ATL - MEM Trade

This is a discussion on [Speculation] ATL - MEM Trade within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

OVR: 21
[Speculation] ATL - MEM Trade

Hawks fan here... I thought of this trade a while back ... not saying any of our players are playing terrible so far but I'm just saying what you guys would think of this trade. We just beat the Celts so many of you guys shouldn't answer this until a couple weeks later when we get a better look at our team. I know some of you guys will take this the wrong way so let me just tell you that I love how our team is playing but like many other threads in this forum, this is just a "WHAT IF" trade and pure speculation...

Anyways...

MEMPHIS RECEIVES:

PF Josh Smith
SF Marvin Williams

ATLANTA RECEIVES:
SF Rudy Gay (SNT)
C Hasheem Thabeet
2010 1st Round Draft Pick

Would you do it?

I don't think I would anymore. When I thought of this trade, it was when I was still quesitoning Smith. Now I know he is definitely maturing and is only going to get better. Marvin is signed to a decent contract although he hasn't impressed me at all this year. Rudy is also on the way up though so if I could do a Marvin for Rudy trade I'd do it. Hasheem looks very raw in the NBA looks like he should have stayed at UCONN for one more year to work on his post game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 16
Re: [Speculation] ATL - MEM Trade

why would you give away two starters who fit in well with your team for a starter and a project? i just dont get it... if it aint broke don't fix it man... atlanta should not be making any moves right now...
Old 11-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
MVP

PrettyT11's Arena

OVR: 17

There is no way in hell anybody would do this trade. Thabeet is and always will be trash in the NBA and Rudy Gay would not help the Hawks. Marvin is a guy who can get you points without having to run alot of plays for him. He fills in the lane and his spots. Plus Josh is a walking mismatch. With his continued maturity you could be looking at a big year for Josh. Plus he is another guy who can get his points without being a blackhole. He can get his 15 a night just running the floor and being in the right spots.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #4
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

I actually like the trade better for the Hawks. Though, I've always envisioned that if you got rid of one of those guys you were going to make room for the other. I don't understand that logjam at SF. At least your giving up two guys who play one position for another guy who is (arguably) better than both at the same position. It just gives the team more stability. Plus now guys can play their natural positions. If Thabeet develops into a decent rebounder/shotblocker ala Sam Dalembert, then Horford becomes a much more effective player if he is playing PF full time.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 11-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
Big Dummy

DustinT's Arena

OVR: 40

Take out that first round pick IMO.

I doubt Memphis would agree to that.

R.I.P Seattle SuperSonics
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I actually like the trade better for the Hawks. Though, I've always envisioned that if you got rid of one of those guys you were going to make room for the other. I don't understand that logjam at SF. At least your giving up two guys who play one position for another guy who is (arguably) better than both at the same position. It just gives the team more stability. Plus now guys can play their natural positions. If Thabeet develops into a decent rebounder/shotblocker ala Sam Dalembert, then Horford becomes a much more effective player if he is playing PF full time.
so who starts at power forward now? old man smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoefx
Take out that first round pick IMO.

I doubt Memphis would agree to that.
depending on who the pick ends up being Atlanta would be getting robbed
Old 11-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_capone
so who starts at power forward now? old man smith?
Marvin Williams is the starting PF now. If they did the trade, it would be either Horford at PF with Thabeet/Pachulia at C or Joe Smith at PF. I think Pachulia should probably be starting.

I think it wouldn't be terrible for the Hawks. As it is, they're looking at a draft pick in the 20s versus a lottery pick (Memphis).
Old 11-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
MVP

Taur3asi3's Arena

OVR: 17

For me this deal hinges entirely on if the 1st rounder is protected in anyway. If it's completely unprotected thats a helluva carrot to dangle and i would probably do it but if Memphis protects it at all i would say no.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »