Home

EA's misunderstanding of the DT's in a depth chart

This is a discussion on EA's misunderstanding of the DT's in a depth chart within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

OVR: 21
EA's misunderstanding of the DT's in a depth chart

Every single year, EA makes the mistake of thinking that the "DT" position on the depth chart is one universal position to fill. The best starting DT would play DT1 and the second best DT2, etc. etc. But what they don't realize I think is that the DT position is split into two positions - nose tackle and under tackle. Keep in mind that this does not pertain to defenses who play 3-4 as those defenses only have one type of DT and that's a nose tackle.

Anyways, like I was saying, the DT is split into two different positions. They are still DT's, don't get me wrong... I just think EA should start making them separate positions next time around.

Because in Madden, DT1 on the depth chart plays under tackle, while DT2 plays nose tackle. This is wrong because Albert Haynesworth is first on the DT depth chart so in Madden he plays UT, but in real life, Haynesworth plays NT. So in order for him to play NT in Madden, you have to put him at DT2. Which means he will not be on the field on three-man rushes because they would only have the RE1, LE1, and DT1 (which is remember, the UT), on the field.

I don't know how to really explain it... I'm not that good with explaining, but tell me if anyone else gets what I'm saying and if anyone else is wondering why EA just doesn't split the DT position up into two separate positions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: EA's misunderstanding of the DT's in a depth chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlanta
Every single year, EA makes the mistake of thinking that the "DT" position on the depth chart is one universal position to fill. The best starting DT would play DT1 and the second best DT2, etc. etc. But what they don't realize I think is that the DT position is split into two positions - nose tackle and under tackle. Keep in mind that this does not pertain to defenses who play 3-4 as those defenses only have one type of DT and that's a nose tackle.

Anyways, like I was saying, the DT is split into two different positions. They are still DT's, don't get me wrong... I just think EA should start making them separate positions next time around.

Because in Madden, DT1 on the depth chart plays under tackle, while DT2 plays nose tackle. This is wrong because Albert Haynesworth is first on the DT depth chart so in Madden he plays UT, but in real life, Haynesworth plays NT. So in order for him to play NT in Madden, you have to put him at DT2. Which means he will not be on the field on three-man rushes because they would only have the RE1, LE1, and DT1 (which is remember, the UT), on the field.

I don't know how to really explain it... I'm not that good with explaining, but tell me if anyone else gets what I'm saying and if anyone else is wondering why EA just doesn't split the DT position up into two separate positions.
Actually, no, the starting DT plays the NT and the second one plays Under Tackle. The Under tackle plays on the weak side of the formation (hence the "under") usually on top of the left guard. But I completely agree with your post thought, this needs to get looked at.

*Actual time may vary.

Last edited by Obelysk; 11-06-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelysk
Actually, no, the starting DT plays the NT and the second one plays Under Tackle. The Under tackle plays on the weak side of the formation (hence the "under") usually on top of the left guard. But I completely agree with your post thought, this needs to get looked at.
I don't think so ... just to make sure we're on the right page here ... NT plays next to the RE.

Spoiler

D-LINE: RE - NT - UT - LE
O-LINE: LT - LG - C - RG - RT
(from bird's eye view)
Old 11-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 12

I was always under the impression that the NT plays the A gap between the RG and C while the 3 technique plays on top of the LG. Just looking at this article to me it seems that way at least:

http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.co...z_schemes.html

*Actual time may vary.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelysk
I was always under the impression that the NT plays the A gap between the RG and C while the 3 technique plays on top of the LG. Just looking at this article to me it seems that way at least:

http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.co...z_schemes.html
I think it depends on the system but most 4-3's have their NT lined up to their RE.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 11

I get what you're saying. I'm a Titans fan, and when playing with Albert Haynesworth (last year, for example), by default he would be lined up as the left defensive tackle, i.e., DT1, on the depth chart.

In order for him to correctly play as the right defensive tackle, I would have to make him the DT2.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 17

Defensive Tackles are useless in Madden, sometime and I mean sometimes I can get off a tackle and stuff someone running the ball. We need real blocking and DL
Old 11-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Pro

Hootiefish's Arena

OVR: 11

Madden needs to get rid of their archaic position system as a whole.

WR1, WR2, RB1, ROLB, LOLB ... none of these positions actually exist!

We need positions based off of the specific offense, we need D-Line rotations, LB rotations, etc.

And we've needed it for a long time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »