Home

3 unanswered goals by CPU

This is a discussion on 3 unanswered goals by CPU within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
3 unanswered goals by CPU

I swear if i hear this phrase again i'm gonna smash something..."that's 3 unanswered goals!!" gary thorne yells. I swear i have played 3 games in a row now where this has happened and it happens WAY too often in this game. I'll be up 1-0 or 2-0 and then if the CPU scores a goal, they then proceed to score on the next two shots also. Leading to three goals in usually less than a minute. ANd this is happening on PRO difficulty!! This game feels SO scripted when this happens, i swear i don't remember much of this last year. I mean it's okay every once in a while, but this is so scripted...I even turned goalie reaction up 1 tick and it still happens. I've also lost 4 games in a row by the same score of 4-2...this never used to happen in 09. Is anyone else experiencing this crap?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: 3 unanswered goals by CPU

Play on a harder difficulty Check out the sliders they help there are tones of pro sliders that make NHL 10 turn into realistic hockey.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsEve666
Leading to three goals in usually less than a minute. ANd this is happening on PRO difficulty!! This game feels SO scripted when this happens, i swear i don't remember much of this last year. I mean it's okay every once in a while, but this is so scripted...
Hey, just be thankful you can score two goals so that the CPU has to score three to win! I have trouble scoring one a game.

The scripted part that's annoying to me is the way the CPU only needs one shot on goal in order to answer back. I'll take shot after shot and finally score, but then the CPU grabs the faceoff, skates into my end and first shot it's in. Cheesy as heck. I'll be looking at NHL 11 to see if they removed that scripted/comeback stuff. If not, I wouldn't be buying this game again.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Pro

Yep agree w/ you 100%...i wish they wouldn't have changed the AI so much this year. I mean 09 wasn't perfect, but it's better than this...You know what else is so frustrating this year? the way the CPU scores on it's first shot on goal in the first period. This has happened more than 10 times to me in around 40 games played. And how often does that actually happen in the NHL.

Baa7,
so it still happens to you even on all-star? and you edit goalie ratings right? A lot of times for me it's on rebounds where the goalie doesn't slide over to the far post (even w/ reaction time @ 4) But it just feels like that once they score you know the next one or 2 shots are gonna go in no matter what i do
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Baa7, so it still happens to you even on all-star? and you edit goalie ratings right?
It happens on all levels, no matter what the player ratings are. I have a test roster where I've edited every CPU rating down to 0 (50). I can play usng that roster, and when the CPU decides it's time to score, suddenly it's skating circles around me and scoring with one-timers. It's truly ridiculous game programming.

The only semi-fix I've found is lowering players' Aggressiveness ratings down. That helps keep the scripted programming from kicking in too often and too strongly. But it doesn't eliminate it completely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 20

I've had 10-game winning streaks and 10-game losing streaks in this game. I'll say this: the gameplay literally changes based on how you're going.

My 10th straight win, just recently, was so stupid I was debating moving up to Superstar. I won 11-1 and outshot the CPU like 50-16.

No sooner did I start thinking this way - that the game was "too easy" - did I lose my next game.

I then lost three more in a row.

During my 10-game losing streak, I swear six of them were 4-3 OT games.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, if you're not scoring goals, it's because you're not scoring goals. If you're giving up leads, it's because it's what you've been doing.

In my case, I could just feel it: until I won one of those OT games, I wasn't going to win. Getting to OT so many times was the CPU's way of telling me: "this is where you are." In my case, it was saying "you're good enough to get to OT, you're not good enough to win." In your case, it seems to be saying, "you're good enough to take the early lead, you're not good enough to hold it."

I went 29-41-13 (DEAD LAST in the league) my first year with the Leafs; I'm currently 21-8-3 this season, using the same sliders for all 114 games. My advice to you, and any sports gamer, really, is to just accept it for what it is: you/your team can't hold a flippin' lead!

Or you can go the route of countless others, call it "crap" and blame the AI.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILZPWN
I've had 10-game winning streaks and 10-game losing streaks in this game. I'll say this: the gameplay literally changes based on how you're going.

My 10th straight win, just recently, was so stupid I was debating moving up to Superstar. I won 11-1 and outshot the CPU like 50-16.

No sooner did I start thinking this way - that the game was "too easy" - did I lose my next game.

I then lost three more in a row.

During my 10-game losing streak, I swear six of them were 4-3 OT games.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, if you're not scoring goals, it's because you're not scoring goals. If you're giving up leads, it's because it's what you've been doing.

In my case, I could just feel it: until I won one of those OT games, I wasn't going to win. Getting to OT so many times was the CPU's way of telling me: "this is where you are." In my case, it was saying "you're good enough to get to OT, you're not good enough to win." In your case, it seems to be saying, "you're good enough to take the early lead, you're not good enough to hold it."

I went 29-41-13 (DEAD LAST in the league) my first year with the Leafs; I'm currently 21-8-3 this season, using the same sliders for all 114 games. My advice to you, and any sports gamer, really, is to just accept it for what it is: you/your team can't hold a flippin' lead!

Or you can go the route of countless others, call it "crap" and blame the AI.
OKay i'm glad you posted that because there was a game a while back where i won 10-1 and i thought the game was ridiculously easy, but ever since then it's been like 4-2 and 4-3 games...so i guess i just need to keep playing and all things will even out at the end of the year...i totally see in the game what you are saying, about how the game plays out based on how YOU have been playing lately. But i think sometimes it plays out that way for TOO long. leaving us w/ lack of score variety game to game...i was looking at my NHL 09 season i played last year, and looking at the box scores it was hard to find a game that had similar results in the same MONTH...but i'm really interested in what sliders you use?? (hopefully something close to default because i really hate using sliders anyway)
Old 11-07-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
OKay i'm glad you posted that because there was a game a while back where i won 10-1 and i thought the game was ridiculously easy, but ever since then it's been like 4-2 and 4-3 games...so i guess i just need to keep playing and all things will even out at the end of the year.
It's an EA thing apparently. I bought FIFA last week. Like I do with all games, I create a test roster where I lower all players ratings to 0. Then I start tweaking/testing rating effectiveness.

Yesterday I'm playing my team with normal ratings against the CPU with all ratings at 1 --1 speed, 1 agility, 1 passing, 1 shot accuracy, etc. I'm having an easy time of it, leading by 3 goals when it suddenly happens -- the CPU momentum kicks in. For the second half of the game, the CPU goes into berserker mode and starts ping-ponging perfect passes and crosses up and down the field. Every loose ball magically bouces right to a CPU player. CPU players are suddenly sprinting around my 70-80 speed-rated players. The CPU ends up outshooting me 14-1 and the game ends as a draw when the CPU scores at the 85 minute mark on a slow-rolling shot that my CPU-controlled goalie flew overtop of because he decided to lunge for it instead of simply picking up -- and yes, it was rolling that slowly.

Like I said, it's an issue with EA games in general. It's not quite correct to say it's scripted -- I'm using that word because you seem to understand the concept. It's more to do with gameplay AI that kicks in and favors the CPU while handicapping your team. Sure, all we can do is shrug our shoulders and keep playing. But that doesn't and shouldn't excuse such ludicrous game programming.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »