Home

Fighting in the NHL

This is a discussion on Fighting in the NHL within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Fighting in the NHL

No matter how many times it's explained to me, I'll never understand the reason for fights in a game. As I understand, these guys fight to "protect" their star players from getting roughed up. I still don't understand how fighting takes care that.

I only see major disadvantages to fighting. First your player has a chance to get beat up pretty good. Then theres the penalty minutes. And most important of all, giving up a power play to the opposing team. That just happened as I watch SJ vs. CBJ, Staubitz wanted to be an az which in turn help his team give up an easy PP goal. I can't believe what a momentum killer that was...stupid play.

Personally I could do without the fighting, it adds nothing to the game other than the continuation of tradition. I'd take the Sharks trashing a team on the scoreboard over a Shark winning a pointless fight anyday.

I hope Staubitz fights again so he can get his dummaz kicked.

Nice PP Goal by Nash. I thought plays like that were only possible in NHL 10.

Last edited by andayaman; 11-04-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Fighting in the NHL

Olympics, Europe and college hockey dont have fighting but they have more stick play. So given given the choice would you rather have more spearing, slashing, crosschecking, and butt ending or a 30 second punch in the face contest? punch in the face contest is a better then aggressive stick play.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:46 AM   #3
All Star

Stormyhog's Arena

OVR: 15

I am more in favor of the spontaneous fights where if someone takes advantage of a player you get him then and their as todays staged fights add nothing to me. Also fights years ago seemed to mean more for example if you touched gretzky you knew you had to deal with semenko, mcsorely soon after no matter who you were so it made you think twice. Also todays players stand up less for one another and the game is full facewashes and name calling than actually dropping the gloves.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:34 AM   #4
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I don't mind fights in the heat of battle but the "staged/pre-arranged fights" stuff is just idiotic to me.

Here's a perfect example:

Brad May has a bad eye type of injury which means he has to wear a visor anyways before a game (can't remember who the Wings played) he and a goon talked about having a fight. Well May plays with his visor in the 1st period then 2nd period he goes out without the visor gets into the fight with the guy and the 3rd he's back with the visor.

He explained in the radio interview how the medical staff and trainers didn't know about this and the visor is mandatory while he's recovering. He then outright says he did something that they wouldn't like and would be totally against.

All for the sake of a pre-arranged fight! What if May got reinjured in the eye area again?! He'd have no one but himself to blame.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-28-2009, 02:47 AM   #5
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by andayaman
No matter how many times it's explained to me, I'll never understand the reason for fights in a game. As I understand, these guys fight to "protect" their star players from getting roughed up. I still don't understand how fighting takes care that.

I only see major disadvantages to fighting. First your player has a chance to get beat up pretty good. Then theres the penalty minutes. And most important of all, giving up a power play to the opposing team. That just happened as I watch SJ vs. CBJ, Staubitz wanted to be an az which in turn help his team give up an easy PP goal. I can't believe what a momentum killer that was...stupid play.

Personally I could do without the fighting, it adds nothing to the game other than the continuation of tradition. I'd take the Sharks trashing a team on the scoreboard over a Shark winning a pointless fight anyday.

I hope Staubitz fights again so he can get his dummaz kicked.

Nice PP Goal by Nash. I thought plays like that were only possible in NHL 10.
I support fighting because:
a.) tradition as you said
b.) it's fun to watch, I mean some of those fights are better than many boxing and MMA matches, though much shorter.

I heard a really good defense for it though once. Basically since it is such an intense sport and there are so many weapons at your disposal (skates and sticks) it is better to let the players vent their frustration in a fight than in another Donald Brashiere type moment.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I don't mind fights in the heat of battle but the "staged/pre-arranged fights" stuff is just idiotic to me.

Here's a perfect example:

Brad May has a bad eye type of injury which means he has to wear a visor anyways before a game (can't remember who the Wings played) he and a goon talked about having a fight. Well May plays with his visor in the 1st period then 2nd period he goes out without the visor gets into the fight with the guy and the 3rd he's back with the visor.

He explained in the radio interview how the medical staff and trainers didn't know about this and the visor is mandatory while he's recovering. He then outright says he did something that they wouldn't like and would be totally against.

All for the sake of a pre-arranged fight! What if May got reinjured in the eye area again?! He'd have no one but himself to blame.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
MVP

chippered's Arena

OVR: 12

I enjoy the fights. I enjoy them more when there is some anger/payback involved. I remember watching fights when I was younger at our local minor league games and seeing the season unfold. You knew when a guy was gunning for another guy that put a dirty hit on one of our star players, or vice-versa.

Bottomline for me, its a part of the game. The game would suffer IMO, if fighting were removed. Like others have said, it keeps stickplay out of the game, which is good for the game.

Also, when a team or crowd is out of a game, a fight can be a game changer. But like anything else, it needs to be implemented correctly.

Brewers League Baseball
Indianapolis Clowns
Old 11-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesgiants
It figures that a fool like Jones and a publicity seeking loudmouth like Maguire would defend such idiocy. At least Dreger was a voice of reason.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »