Home

NFL Simulation Sliders for Patch 1 & 2 (tuned for Slow & Very Slow gameplay)

This is a discussion on NFL Simulation Sliders for Patch 1 & 2 (tuned for Slow & Very Slow gameplay) within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-31-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Thumbs up NFL Simulation Sliders for Patch 1 & 2 (tuned for Slow & Very Slow gameplay)

I'll clean up reorganize this thread up shortly. Read on for NFL Simulation Sliders for Patch #2.

Alright guys, for better or worse, here they are the set for the 2nd Patch. I'm only about 80% satisfied with them right now, as there was a pretty big change to both the passing and running game (per my post 3 posts back), and I think it still needs fine tuned some more. These are close though, and I'm going to use them to start my Titan's franchise now.

Feedback Request
- Please try the sliders out, and at the end of your games post/share your results. What works, what didn't work, problems you encountered. The big ticket items I look for are QB passing %'s, dropped balls by WR's, HB's YPC, turnovers (INTs, and Fumbles), and 3rd Down Conversion %'s. If you post this information, please be sure to let us know if you are calling your own plays or using the Ask Madden approach as it makes a huge difference in the outcome.

If You Used NFL Simulation Sliders for Patch #1 - Then all you have to do is set the CPU / Human settings, none of the game settings, special team, coaching subs, or penalty sliders were altered.

Thanks for all interest in the slider set, and all of the help posting feedback. Enjoy!

NFL SIMULATION SLIDERS For Patch #2

(Last Updated 12/19/2009)

Game Options

Quarter Length: 15 Minutes
Accelerated Clock: On
Runnoff Time: 25 Seconds
Fatigue: 55
Injury: 50
Game Speed: Slow (or Very Slow)
Player Min Speed Threshold: 50
Fight for the Fumble: Off
NOTE: Special Team Sliders can only be modified from main menu > My Madden > Settings > Special Teams. Changes here are applied to ALL games, even franchises that are currently in progress.

Special Team Sliders

FG Power: 50
FG Accuracy: 15
Punt Power: 55
PUnt Accuracy: 70
Kickoff Power: 50

Coaching Auto-Sub Settings
OFFENSE (Sub Out / Sub In)
QB (0 / 1)
RB (55 / 80)
WR (55 / 80)
FB/TE (55 / 80)
OL (55 / 80)

DEFENSE (Sub Out / Sub In)
DT (55 / 80)
DE (55 / 80)
LB (55 / 80)
CB (55 / 80)
S (55 / 80)

Penalties Slider Settings
Offside: 100
Fall Start: 100
Holding: 50
Facemask: 50
Defensive Pass Interference: 90
Offensive Pass Interference: 90
KR/PR Interference: 72
Clipping: 65
Int Grounding: 75
Roughing the Passer: 80
Roughing the Kicker: 80

Human Slider Settings

PASSING
QB Accuracy: 30
Pass Blocking: 10
WR Catching: 40

RUSHING
Broken Tackles: 30 (35 if not using R Analog stick for power moves)
Run Blocking: 25
Fumbles: 70

PASS DEFENSE
Reaction Time: 55
Interceptions: 5
Pass Rushing: 80

RUSH DEFENSE
Reaction Time: 25
Block Shedding: 0
Tackling: 50

CPU Slider Settings
PASSING
QB Accuracy: 40
Pass Blocking: 15
WR Catching: 40

RUSHING
Broken Tackles: 50
Run Blocking: 70
Fumbles: 65 (60 if you do not use Hit Stick)

PASS DEFENSE
Reaction Time: 55
Interceptions: 0
Pass Rushing: 85

RUSH DEFENSE
Reaction Time: 65
Block Shedding: 25
Tackling: 75

After trying out various sets of sliders on the forums and finding problems with them in one area or another, I decided to put together a set that was tuned for the hardcore football strategist whose looking for a realistic yet challenging game in Madden.

If you plan on using these sliders, then there are a couple of things you should keep in mind.

1. Play 15 minute Quarters, accelerated quarters with 25 second runoff.

This results in roughly 105 to 125 plays per game. Teams that pass more than run will see higher numbers. If you run roughly 50/50 pass/run, then you are going to see roughly 110 on average. If you need more time to make hot routes and line adjustments, then reduce the runoff time. This shouldn't affect the number of plays as long as you let the clock run down to 5 to 8 seconds each play when you are on offense.

However, if you run a pass heavy team, don't be afraid to cut your 15 minute Quarters down to 14, 13, or 12, basically whatever you need to hit around 110 to 120 plays per game.

2. Remove Money Plays

Lets face it, there are problems with the AI that we simply can't fix with sliders. When you find a play that the AI can't cover, then take it out of the playbook. Do not call the play. Money plays ruin any semblance of realism. You can't have realistic games using plays that AI can't defend.

3. Tuned for Manual Play on Defense

The sliders are tuned for manual play. Players who typically play online, are going to find these sliders challenging and highly realistic (as long as they follow step #2).

On defense, this means players who play a Safety, CornerBack, or LineBacker are going to find the play very realistic from a tackle, coverage, and sack perspective.

4. Players Must Secure the Ball
(RB on XBox 360)

On offense, as the halfback or receiver, when you are running with the ball and tackled, you must use the RB button to cover up the football to help reduce the number of tackles. If you don't want to use the RB button, then bump the human Fumble slider up to 50.

5. Realistic Time in Pocket

The sliders provide a realistic time in the pocket, typically around 3 to 5 seconds with a normal rush, and less when there is a blitz. Be prepared to throw the ball away (right click on analog stick on XBox 360), or dump it off to the flats / hot route.

6. Players Drop Passes in Traffic

If you have a player who is a little scared in traffic (Crayton for Cowboys for example) then they are going to drop the ball most of the time. When passing, be aware of how close the coverage is on these guys whose hands are quite as sure, as well as other players that may be able to make the hit.

7. Realistic Number of Sacks

This is a big one, and something that can't quite be solved with sliders due to the QB always throwing while in the grasp. The sliders definitely limit the problem, but until the Madden team addresses the number of passes thrown while in the grasp, this can't truly be 100% realistic. With the slider settings, you'll see 1 to 6 sacks per game. So far, with the Cowboys I have averaged about 2 per game, with Ware almost always getting 1, which is fairly realistic.

8. Halfbacks Make Realistic Runs

There will be few breakaway runs (if you follow step #2 again) with these settings on both sides of the ball. They will still occur, but they will be few and far between. In addition, players will tackle, on both sides of the ball (your team and the AIs). Halfbacks will have more realistic YPC, fumbls, and big runs.

9. Realistic Interceptions

These settings are going to provide more realistic interceptions. There will be far fewer interceptions and a lot more balls that are simply knocked down, which is more in line with what you see on Sunday. Passing will not be more easy, but it will be fairly rare to see a defensive player making that wildly outlandish acceleration to make an unrealistic play on the ball AND make the interception. Now, you only get the ball knocked down. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about the laws of physics being broken. That's a gameplay bug that EA Sports and the Madden team must address.

10. More Accurate Penalties

You'll see penalties called a bit more often, and in more realistic situations, espcially on kick and punt returns. If players dislike penalties, then feel free to leave them at their current settings. The default settings typically only result in 1 to 3 penalties a game. The NFL Simulation Sliders are going to result in 2 to 10 penalties a game (depending on teams / situation).

Manual / Simulation Gameplay Rules

1. Let the CPU return Kicks/Punts
2. Punt / FG in all realistic situations (never go for it just because you 'can'. I punted from 32 earlier today as Folk can't make a 50 in this game for some reason)
3. Found Money Plays? Good! DO NOT USE THEM!!! They are money because the AI can't cover them properly. Forget the plays and never use them again. That's the only way the game will be challenging. The only way.
4. Do Not Play Lineman on defense (you can do to many funky things with them). Instead play LBs, Safeties, or CBs on defense
5. Manually switch on all pass plays and attempt to make the catch. Don't let the AI play for you.
6. Manually switch on all pass defense plays and attempt to knock the ball down and/or make the interception, again, don't let the AI play for you.
7. Do Not Throw Fade Routes (deep straight passes) unless in Hail Mary type of situations.

The Madden Challenge

For a game that is based off his name, Madden sure does a good job of making John Madden look like one of the worst play callers ever to play the game. If you want a real challenge, then use 'Ask Madden' on every play, every down, no matter what the situation. John is sure to give you some pretty poor play choices in some very key situations. If you want to make it even harder, then select a button to choose on each and every situation such as 'A', for example. This limits you to only one play, instead of a choice from six. If you want to make it harder still, then don't make any adjustments on offense or defense. No press / off coverage, DLine / LB adjustments, hot routes, motioning to catch defense off balance, or keeping the HB to the flats back for an extra blocker in long yardage situations.

'Ask Madden' is the real 'All Madden' difficulty settings. Try it out. You'll have an extremely realistic / challenging game, though it won't be the most strategic for the strategy enthusiasts.

NFL SIMULATION SLIDERS For Patch #1

Game Options

Quarter Length: 15 Minutes
Accelerated Clock: On
Runnoff Time: 25 Seconds
Fatigue: 55
Game Speed: Slow (or Very Slow)
Player Min Speed Threshold: 50
Fight for the Fumble: Off
NOTE: Special Team Sliders can only be modified from main menu > My Madden > Settings > Special Teams. Changes here are applied to ALL games, even franchises that are currently in progress.

Special Team Sliders

FG Power: 50
FG Accuracy: 15
Punt Power: 55
PUnt Accuracy: 70
Kickoff Power: 50

Coaching Auto-Sub Settings
OFFENSE (Sub Out / Sub In)
QB (0 / 1)
RB (55 / 80)
WR (55 / 80)
FB/TE (55 / 80)
OL (55 / 80)

DEFENSE (Sub Out / Sub In)
DT (55 / 80)
DE (55 / 80)
LB (55 / 80)
CB (55 / 80)
S (55 / 80)

Penalties Slider Settings
Offside: 100
Fall Start: 100
Holding: 50
Facemask: 50
Defensive Pass Interference: 90
Offensive Pass Interference: 90
KR/PR Interference: 72
Clipping: 65
Int Grounding: 75
Roughing the Passer: 80
Roughing the Kicker: 80

Human Slider Settings

PASSING
QB Accuracy: 25
Pass Blocking: 5
WR Catching: 35

RUSHING
Broken Tackles: 30 (35 if not using R Analog stick for power moves)
Run Blocking: 30
Fumbles: 65

PASS DEFENSE
Reaction Time: 50
Pass Rushing: 75

RUSH DEFENSE
Reaction Time: 0
Block Shedding: 0
Tackling: 50

CPU Slider Settings
PASSING
QB Accuracy: 70
Pass Blocking: 5
WR Catching: 30

RUSHING
Broken Tackles: 50
Run Blocking: 70
Fumbles: 65 (60 if you do not use Hit Stick)

PASS DEFENSE
Pass Rushing: 85

RUSH DEFENSE
Block Shedding: 18
Tackling: 75

LAST GAME STATISTICS

Dallas Cowboys vs. Washington Redskins

GAME STATS
Score: 27 / 20
Total Offense: 261 / 366
Rushing: 106 / 96
Passing: 155 / 270
Turnovers: 2 / 0 (INTs on Cowboys)
3rd Down Conversions: 5-11(45%) / 7-16(43%)
Possession Time: 25:50 / 34:10

QUARTERBACK
Campbell - 18/34(52%) for 289 yards 1 INT and 4 Sacks
Romo - 17/28(60%) for 163 yards1 INT and 1 Sack

RUSHING
Portis - 25 attempts for 104 yards and 0 TDs
Barber - 24 attempts for 106 yards and 0 TDs
Jones - 2 attempts for 2 yards and 0 TDs
Betts - 1 attempt for 1 yard and 1 TD
Campbell - 1 attempt for -9 yards
Romo - 1 attempt for 02 yards

RECEIVING
Redskins threw to 8 receivers with TE (Cooley) getting highest receptions at 5
Cowboys threw to 7 receivers with WR (Austin) getting highest receptions at 7

DEFENSE
Redskins Highest solo Tackles was 5
Cowboys Highest solo Tackles was 6
Demarcus Ware recorded 2 Sacks (making it 4 for the season)

About Valdarez

I'm a hardcore gamer who typically played RTS games until APF2K8 came out. The strategy element of APF2K8 drew me into Football, so much that I created www.2kfootballstrategy.com website where we ran many tournaments for cash and prizes and I ran a NFL Simulation league for several seasons (actually had a 32 team league, which was VERY hard to run. heh). I've contributed several good ideas prior to Madden 10's release (see my Problem with Madden's Running Animation Blog which thanks to Ian's participation on this site resulted in new running animation) and more recently provided new control suggestion for Fight for the Fumble (read my blog Better Fight for Fumble Controls for Madden 10).

Last edited by Valdarez; 01-20-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: NFL Simulation Sliders 1.0 from Valdarez (tuned for Slow Gameplay)

looks hard will check them out.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

looking forward to trying these out. just a couple questions what speed and threshhold should we use? also what about fatigue and auto subs?
Old 10-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmick4324
looking forward to trying these out. just a couple questions what speed and threshhold should we use? also what about fatigue and auto subs?
Those are all left on default. So GameSpeed Slow, Fatigue 50, and Player Min Speed Threshold 50. Trying out Player Min Speed Threshold at higher rates, but increasing it causes receivers not to get get proper separation on routes, which is a problem due to the tuned down catching ability (basically results in too many dropped passes when receivers have a defender near by).

Basically it's a question of whether you want to have visible confirmation that a player is open, or the ability to throw it to any player and have a chance of catching it. I opted for the visible confirmation of a player being open for a pass.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4
Icon5 Re: NFL Simulation Sliders 1.0 from Valdarez (tuned for Slow Gameplay)

What about special teams? Do you leave those on defualt or do you use a certain set?

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Rookie

so i just finished the first game of my franchise using these sliders. i faced san diego.

Raiders (me) 45 vs Chargers 29

Team Stats
Raiders: total offense 256, 3 TOs, 4 penalties 25 yards, time of possession 19:36

Chargers: total offense 517, 5 TOs, 4 penalties 20 yards, time of possession 40:24

Offense
Passing
J. Russel 110.2 12 for 16 (at one point i completed 10 straight) for 123 yards 2 TDs 1 pick

P Rivers 86.0 38 for 57 448 yards 3 TDs 3 INTs

Rushing
D McFadden 24 carries 138 yards 5.7 a clip 0 TDs
Fargas 1 carry for 2 yards

L Tomlinson 21 carries 42 yards
Sproles 5 carries for 23 yards

Receiving
D McFadden 6 catches 46 yards
Heyward-Bey w catches for 22 and a TD
Fargas 2 for 29 and a TD
Murphy and Miller both had 1 catch for 11 and 15

Not gna list all but Gates, Jackson, and Chambers all had over 6 catches and 80 receiving each. Gates and Jackson toppling 100

Defense
Morrison had 13 tackels and Howard had 9 which was really nice to see. 13 tackels were the most ive ever had this year. unfortunately there were 0 sacks but i got to the qb about 4-5 times. i had 3 interceptions 2 went back for TDs

Chargers sacked me once and INT Russel once.

This game started off very nice i felt limited like i should with russel as my quarterback and after running for some nice gains with mcfadden the chargers started stacking the box. my first throw with russel was picked (my fault). i returned a kickoff for a TD so after the first quarter it was 13-7 Chargers. on defense i play as the cornerback. overall offensively this game was really nice but turnovers really killed the chargers. i had 3 defensive touchdowns plus the kickoff return for a TD. im gna play another game right now
Old 10-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

That's a lot of INTs there. I tend to pressure / blitz a lot, so perhaps I'm not seeing as many INTs because there are so many pressured throws. I'll play a game and not pressure as much and see if that makes a difference.

What were the weather conditions? The only downside I have seen thus far is that in wet/rainy weather there are more fumbles. I wish there were sliders to modify the effects of weather conditions.

I'm going to update the main sliders with Game Option information as well as some rules to play by, because if you don't follow them you'll get some highly unrealistic results. For example, I don't run the kicks/punts back at all. I let the CPU run them back or I call for a fair catch (punts). Otherwise I end up with roughly 1 kick return for a TD / per game, which is simply not unrealistic.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Rookie

it was a monday night game against the chargers the weather was fine no rain or anything.

i just finished up my second game. i faced the chiefs and they gave me a much tighter fight than the chargers. i won the game 30-3 but it was alot closer than that. it was 13-3 after the 1st half but then in the second half matt cassel threw 2 pick sixes one after the other (cassel finished with 0 TDs 3 INTs). i got into the sack category (probably because kansas city lines worse than san diegos) with 4. the time of possession was alot closer 27 chiefs 24 me. the one thing i might have to change based on my play style is the running bc mcfadden had 31 carries for 207 yards long being 69. i love how terrible jamarcus russel is going 2 for 15 for 19 yards and a pick lol. but frankly i don't know if i should be winning a game 30-3 with those kinds of numbers from my qb.

by the way i turned down the time of the games from 15 minutes to 13 minutes sticking with the 25 second runoff which resulted in 114 plays opposed to the 125 i ran against the chargers.

i blitz A LOT also. maybe INTs need to be turned down in my case being that ive caused 6 in 2 games.

thanks again valdarez for your work im looking forward to the rules your going to post bc maybe im playing cheap and i dnt even no it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »