Home

Mariano trouble?

This is a discussion on Mariano trouble? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-31-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Mariano trouble?

I've played every year of the Show and until this year I never had this problem. This season, Mariano Rivera has given up 15 home runs in the regular season and 3 home runs in the World Series so far (I'm in game 2). My brother-in-law has had trouble with him in Exhibition mode as well. If anyone else having this problem or is it just the two of us? I've never had a problem with him until this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Mariano trouble?

This is news to me. I haven't seen this.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 7

How dare you blame the greatest pitcher for your problems!!!

Just kidding, I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I can not throw a cutter with him or anyone consistently. Unfortunately, this keeps me from getting the most out of mo.

On another note, I wish scea would let us edit the age of the players. I would love nothing more than I start a franchise with Mo and Jeter in their early years, allowing me to play out their careers in entirety
Old 10-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

It must be how you are controling him because I tell you this... I have played as the Red Sox against the Yankees, and once he is out on the mound, and the Yankees are ahead, there is no getting to the CPU controlled Mo.

He is flat out nails. Inside with the cutter, outside with the cutter, fast ball up, cutter down and in, and you can pretty much just lock it up and call it a night. In fact, I have yet to record a win against the Yankees when they were ahead after the 8th inning.

Try not to throw only strikes with him, and remember (as well as with all other closers/late relievers that you might use)... These guys are closers. They throw an inning or two, and they throw as hard as they can. Make sure you are maxxing out the throw meter all the way to the Red, and using full effort for the pitches.

You don't need to worry as much for fatigue with the closers unless they go too many innings...

Work him the right way and watch him go to town.

syf
Old 10-31-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

I sort of have this problem too. While he doesn't pitch badly, (34 for 37 saves, 2.45 ERA 130 or so games into my franchise) he has given up 38 hits in 40.1 innings. Which is not Rivera-like. It irritates me, but I'm a stat geek.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

I think it must be the way you're using his pitches.

The cutter must me used above waiste line in breaking inside. So technically you're throwing it for a ball inside always (away for righties) But it should be so close to being a strike that you actually get the call sometime. So throwing the cutter borderline is going to be the key.

If you use the ball cursor u notice his cutter away, or done and in only has 1 arrow showing how much movement it has, but up and in it has 2 arrows showing it has more movement. It is deadlier, and breaks more off the plate. I get alot of broken bats this way.

Then the 2 seam fb and fastball should be used as change of speed or to get ahead in the count.

Hope it helps.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

OVR: 21

I don't know bout this one... I'm pretty good with Rivera. There's nothing more satisfying in the pitching side of that game than striking someone out with a Rivera cutter cutting into the strike zone.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
I think it must be the way you're using his pitches.

The cutter must me used above waiste line in breaking inside. So technically you're throwing it for a ball inside always (away for righties) But it should be so close to being a strike that you actually get the call sometime. So throwing the cutter borderline is going to be the key.

If you use the ball cursor u notice his cutter away, or done and in only has 1 arrow showing how much movement it has, but up and in it has 2 arrows showing it has more movement. It is deadlier, and breaks more off the plate. I get alot of broken bats this way.

Then the 2 seam fb and fastball should be used as change of speed or to get ahead in the count.

Hope it helps.
Trouble with Mariano! Is unheard of! But if you look at the movement of the pitches and so forth like he explained you should do fine! ["He" as in: El_MaYiMbE.]

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »