Home

For all computer savyy

This is a discussion on For all computer savyy within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
For all computer savyy

I have the following configuration:

Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard
Amd Opteron 165 at 1.8Ghz CPU
Corsair XMS 1GB DDR
XFX 6800XT 256GB DDR3
WD SATA 250GB

I usually use my computer for all purposes and as far as gaming i like playing sport games such as Madden, NHL, Need for Speed, MLB, Empire Earth and games of that nature and of course the last game I bought was NBA 2k9. Couple of weeks ago I purchased Nba 2k10 and the game runs poorly. I know I am right on the line as far as the minimum requirements. I've been using my computer for the past 4-5 years and its been a blast. Only thing that had gone bad was the power supply and that's it.

I have a choice to make and I have 2 options and hopefully you guys can give me some guidence.

1. Build another system from the ground up - starting with a new motherboard, cpu, memory type, vid card, etc

2. Upgrade my vid card to a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143066 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127412 or equivalent and up my RAM from 1.0 GB to 2.0 GB and solve my problem.

What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: For all computer savyy

If you need to build your PC from ground up except the HD, what is your budget?
Old 10-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

If you're going to ask, the life span of a computer is round about 4-5 years so that already fits your bill. I think you deserve a new computer and I'm all for squeezing the most out of your system, but maybe you can sell those or give it to a relative.

I've had my first computer for 4 years before I bought a new one. At that time, I wasn't at all computer-aware so to speak and decided to sell it. My second one was squeezed so much by yours truly. I reformatted it countless times, did software/hardware tweaking and it lasted me a good 5 years. In fact, that Pentium 4 computer is still being used in my dad's office.

Be aware that old computers tend to have outdated motherboards. No longer the case with new generation computers though and coupled with the fact that the prices for computer parts have become so cheap we are entering an era where almost all household will have a computer at home. (Some more than 1)

I suggest you build your computer from the ground up, you'll be more than pleased. You'll get a motherboard that can support the new types of RAM, Video cards, processors, a nice new casing and maybe a solid deal that will strike you a 19-22 inch LCD. I suggest though that you still use Windows XP. I'm currently using Vista, XP, and even tried Windows 7. XP is still is the optimal operating system speed-wise.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
If you need to build your PC from ground up except the HD, what is your budget?

I wanna spend anywhere from 500 to 700 dollars and the most 800 which is right about how much I spent for my current computer back in the days.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker_f1
I wanna spend anywhere from 500 to 700 dollars and the most 800 which is right about how much I spent for my current computer back in the days.

Back in january I built my first custom computer with a 600 dollar budget.
Quad core q6600 oc at 3ghz
6gb hyper x kingston ram
1gb 4870 ati graphics card

It can run all games on max and I added a 24inch 1080p flat montior with another 125.

This is the perfect time because of the holidays and if you can hold out black fridays coming up and you can easily double eveything I have.

If you walk in a store like bestbuy with 600 you will get nothing for your money. Building a pc from scratch with 600-800 bucks you will have top of the line computer for years to come. Just think most minium specs for games usuallly have the pentium 4, or core dou to run. Most of your money goes into cpu, gpu and motherboard everrthhing else you can bargin shop for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker_f1
Is the cost of LCD monitor included in that price?

2 Graphics Card and Power supply slick deal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.273279

Also are you looking at Intel or AMD as your CPU?

Full tower PC case in case you wanted to do dual graphics card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811166004
Otherwise a mid tower case will just suffice.

Since tommorow is sunday, I'll look around tommorow since I am hoping there will be better deals.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
Is the cost of LCD monitor included in that price?

2 Graphics Card and Power supply slick deal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.273279

Also are you looking at Intel or AMD as your CPU?

Full tower PC case in case you wanted to do dual graphics card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811166004
Otherwise a mid tower case will just suffice.

Since tommorow is sunday, I'll look around tommorow since I am hoping there will be better deals.

I am one of those who believe you don't need to replace something which is still working.

1. No the monitor price is not included in that price range. I have a nice 17" Samsung SyncMaster LCD monitor which I've been using for quite some years over 4 years I believe and haven't seem any dead pixel yet! thats what I called reliability. Way to go Samsung!
Of course it would be nice if I could buy a 20"+ monitor

2. Wowww! that's an amazing deal. I think I paid $70.00 for my 500W Antec Power supply but I know I'm gonna get a pci express 2.0 i'm gonna need a new power supply to juice all that powers and because of the different connector too. and for some reason I have always like NVIdia over ATI. I wasn't thinking about the SLI configuration, I thought one vid card was enough but after looking at the price its basically the same if i buy one of those vid card and a power supply!!!! amazing deal of course i will definitely look into it.

3. I have always liked AMD over Intel. I've been told several times by friends and computer articles that AMD is more intended for gamers.

4. I don't think I need a new tower, I own a Thermaltake Full Tower. The case is rock solid! has alot of ventilation - one on the side, one for every bay which fits two hard drive and 2 fans on the rear of the case.

My price range of 500-700 will include a new motherboard, cpu, memory, vid card and power supply and before i forget an aftermarket cpu fan/heatsink. I'm gonna keep my DVD-Rom and DVD Writer, all my hard drives and cpu fans.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:17 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 19

Tigerdirect.com

Best place to get your computer

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »