Home

Realistic or not? Need some opinions.

This is a discussion on Realistic or not? Need some opinions. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Rookie

harriman8's Arena

OVR: 1
Realistic or not? Need some opinions.

I'm playing in a 3-man online franchise. I'm the Bears and one of the other guys is the Titans. We both go 16-0 (yeah I know) and make it to the Super Bowl. Now my team has battled injuries all year long and had Forte and Hester out most of the season (both back for SB) while his Titans have enjoyed an injury-free campaign and Chris Johnson has rushed for 2100+ yards. All of my games have been fairly competitive but he has blown out most of his competition save for a a couple of teams. We play a realistic style of play but don't have any rules in place because we've never needed to.

I win the toss and elect to kickoff. He puts together a decent drive but I manage to hold CJ in check for the most part and he kicks a 51 yard FG to take a 3-0 lead in the first.

My first possession I manage to drive a little ways but have to punt. I come up in punt and notice he is in punt block. I punt and pin him at the 2 yard line.

His next play Urlacher busts through the line and hits Johnson before Collins can hand the ball off and my DL cleans up Collins for the safety.

Titans 3 Bears 2 end of 1st QTR.

I get the ball back on free kick and manage to get a TD pass Cutler to Bennett. The 2-point conversion fails. Bears 8 Titans 3.

He gets the ball and gets a TD drive to go back up 10-8 halfway through the 2nd qtr.

We trade punts after each having a 3 & out and he again comes up in punt block.

I hold on his next drive.

I get a TD and 2-point conversion to take a 16-10 lead.

I get an INT with around 2:00 to go in half. He holds again and I punt for the 3rd time in the half and again he comes up in punt block (leaving my outside gunners completely uncovered for the 3rd time).

Halftime

I get the opening kickoff and get to my 36 yard line with a 4th and 3. Now he has come out in punt block every time I've punted so far so I decided to call a fake and see if he comes out again in punt block leaving the outside gunners uncovered.

A little aside here I have never called a fake punt in an online game or offline game. I only went for it on 4th down 2 times during the regular season but both with traditional plays converting 1 of 2. My thinking here is that it is early in the 3rd and if I fail to pick up the 3 yards the best he can do is go up 17-16 early in the 3rd qtr. He hasn't moved the ball particularly well to this point so I figure the reward is worth the risk and if he doesn't come out in punt block I can always audible to a punt or call a timeout.

He does in fact come out in punt block so I run the play. It turns out he is in punt block zone and his defenders drop back into the routes of my receivers. I throw (with my punter mind you) underneath to my backup FS short of the first but he manages to juke a defender and barely get the first down. I go on to pick up a FG on the drive and lead 19-10 early in the 3rd.

To make an already long story a little shorter the game remains a defensive struggle into the 4th and Collins throws his second pick of the game on the 5 yard line about halfway through the 4th quarter with the score still 19-10.

Titans owner gets pissed off and says that the fake punt was not realistic and quits the game and the league. I argue that while risky it wasn't unrealistic. A special teams coach sees 3 straight punt blocks where no one is covering the outside receivers. I very much think the fake is a call that would be called given the way the game was going and seeing the receivers left uncovered for a 4th time.

It wasn't like I called some cheese play that couldn't be stopped. I called my first ever fake punt and had to execute a punter to backup FS pass and catch and run to convert.

So for those of you who actually took the time to read all of this (thank you BTW) what do you think. Was the play reasonable at that point in the game and is the Titans owner overreacting?

Bears won 19-10.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Realistic or not? Need some opinions.

I think it's fair. That's just out coaching your opponent. Reacting and capitalizing on his tenancies.

There are coaches in the NFL that would have tried the same thing in that situation.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

Very realistic and fair. The odds were in his favor, so he shouldn't be complaining.

On question I have for you though, is it possible to audible to a punt when you have already called the fake? Same thing with field goals? I just have noticed that I can't audible out of the punt or field goal formations, so I didn't know if it was different for fakes or not? Which buttons do you press?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Yeah, fake punts are SO unrealistic - they NEVER happen in the NFL (end sarcasm)

You did nothing wrong. You took a chance in a tight game based on the fact your defense was playing pretty well all game long.

In fact, he seemed to at least expect it or at least wanted be prepared for the possibility by calling a defense out of the punt block formation instead of just attacking the punter.

It also sounds like you broke a tackle to get just enough for the first down.

I think he's complaining because he got beat on the play. It's the "if I couldn't stop it, it must have been cheese" mentality.

Cheese, cheese, cheese - it's like the only thing people who play look out for. Never mind your coaching strategy or your thought process - just looking out for something to call cheese.

Thank you for reminding me why I don't play online and congrats on your win and solid gameplan.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16

If anything he was being unrealistic doing punt block in non punt block situations. No NFL team is that agressive when they don't have the other team backed up in their own endzone.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Your Quote:
I get the opening kickoff and get to my

36 yard line with a 4th and 3

. Now he has come out in punt block every time I've punted so far so I decided to call a fake and see if he comes out again in punt block leaving the outside gunners uncovered.

My response:
I can see his point of view simply becuase where you attempted the fake punt. You was on your own 36yrd line and it was 4th and 3. Now I dont ever recall seeing any team do this on a close game early in the 3rd qtr and being on their own 36.

I can see why he got upset. On your own 45yrd line or somewhere in his territory would be realistic, but on your own 36 at the time and the score. Sorry man I agree with him.

I would apologize to him and just replay the game. I could see what your saying but your timing or placement on the field wasnt right when you attempted it.

Last edited by Tyrant8RDFL; 10-20-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16

on your own 36, its a bit of a stretch to call the fake but given your reasoning I dont think it's unreasonable... so basically idk if i agree w/ the decision in that situation, but I could see it happening

personally I think you going for the 2 point conversion that early in the game was more unrealistic though lol... no reason to play the numbers game (trying to go up 7 instead of 6) that early in the game

Last edited by bill2451; 10-20-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Your Quote:
I get the opening kickoff and get to my

36 yard line with a 4th and 3

. Now he has come out in punt block every time I've punted so far so I decided to call a fake and see if he comes out again in punt block leaving the outside gunners uncovered.

My response:
I can see his point of view simply becuase where you attempted the fake punt. You was on your own 36yrd line and it was 4th and 3. Now I dont ever recall seeing any team do this on a close game early in the 3rd qtr and being on their own 36.

I can see why he got upset. On your own 45yrd line or somewhere in his territory would be realistic, but on your own 36 at the time and the score. Sorry man I agree with him.

I would apologize to him and just replay the game. I could see what your saying but your timing or placement on the field wasnt right when you attempted it.
I feel like the Jets just did this twice last week against the Dolphins on MNF. The first one was I think 4th and 6 from the 34. Seems realistic to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »