Home

Force field between defender and offensive player?

This is a discussion on Force field between defender and offensive player? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8
Force field between defender and offensive player?

Anybody else notice that is impossible actually get up on the ball handler at times to close out resulting in them being able to pull up for a J with a tremendous amount of open space?

I gotta say when the game first dropped I thought online play was pretty cheese proof and a great experience. But now it's spiraling backwards at a high rate.

It's plenty wrong with this game online. I know they advertised the game to death for the past months on the improvements. Which theirs improvements no doubt.

But the 2 guys guarding one man glitch is still in full effect. The force field. Just played a guy crossing over all day long with Bosh, yeah that's right Chris Bosh. 3%'s are like dunks. Can't get a fast break because they intentionally foul you. Reaching at an all time high with no regards to calling a foul (Difficult to even run a play because of the reaching and getting steals). Passing the ball around takes all day as now cheesers just run around the court all day checking the whole team, and by the time you do get the ball back to the open guy they've recovered for an easy block a la 2k9 and prior, not sure about 2k10. They need to add touch passing so you can swing the ball around the perimeter quicker.

While Chris Bosh is crossing over my whole team on the other end the minute I get the ball into the post to Brown or Wallace when I turnaround I magically lose the ball. On the fly subs and adjustments is stiff and once you bring it up if your taking the ball out and inball it disappears as you have to reset it again. On the free throw line if the adjustments options disappear you can't bring them back therefore having to pause the game to sub or do whatever needs to be done. Defensive matchups still don't work. Fatigue doesn't work, Subs don't work. Blocked shots need to be redone. If I get a rebound I should be able to go back up for a put back, instead of having it where I get blocked on every put back how about just lowering the % of put back lay ups or shots going in. On hustle plays many other players just stand there looking at the ball and won't even make an attempt to try to get it.

I really hope that all this has been addressed in the patch because if not then it's not really looking all that good for EA. And I can't for the life of me understand why they don't have ranked games as Superstar. What is the purpose of having it on All-star. Can a dev answer that question for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
Lillard Time

FlyRice's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Force field between defender and offensive player?

Yup, I know exactly what you're talking about. I think it has something to do with using the Defensive Assist button, since there is always a force field when that button is held down. However, I even let go of it in a game earlier today so that I could get up in this guys face who used the step back jumper with Mo and Lebron EVERY single play, and there was still this stupid force field preventing me from closing out. That's why I think that defensive lock/assist whatever you want to call it is the worst inclusion to basketball games. I don't want the CPU moving my players around for me, just give me a defensive stance button and FULL control over my players, please. They definitely need to work on their defensive mechanics next year.

Using the right stick to put your hands up is pretty much useless too, since you can't even move around while doing it.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
MVP

stizz's Arena

OVR: 16

It's impossible to force the players to lose their dribble like the CPU does is you drive into them. I thought defensive assist allowed me to do it, but it must've been a fluke or something.

There's also a magnet feel on defense, it's like your getting sucked into position.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Lillard Time

FlyRice's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls
While Chris Bosh is crossing over my whole team on the other end the minute I get the ball into the post to Brown or Wallace when I turnaround I magically lose the ball. On the fly subs and adjustments is stiff and once you bring it up if your taking the ball out and inball it disappears as you have to reset it again. On the free throw line if the adjustments options disappear you can't bring them back therefore having to pause the game to sub or do whatever needs to be done. Defensive matchups still don't work. Fatigue doesn't work, Subs don't work. Blocked shots need to be redone. If I get a rebound I should be able to go back up for a put back, instead of having it where I get blocked on every put back how about just lowering the % of put back lay ups or shots going in. On hustle plays many other players just stand there looking at the ball and won't even make an attempt to try to get it.
This sums up most of my complaints as well. Players can't hold onto the ball in the post, like they have the grip of a baby. At least have an animation where the player is stripped or something.

On-the-fly subs is garbage. Too much time wasted to just get one player into the game. It annoys me as well how many times I have to bring it up just because of a screen wipe. Why can't they just keep it open??

If you're behind a player, it's pretty much impossible to block them as your player just jumps straight up. I've never seen a chase down block, so if a ball handler gets free he's pretty much guaranteed two points (unless you intentional foul ).

The aliens from Space Jam invaded EA's office and stole the players skills which is why they stand there like zombies all of the time.

Also, I don't know why there is a delay when pressing the play calling button. Even if it's just a second, it should appear instantly when pressed. And no play calling during timeouts

Last edited by FlyRice; 10-19-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRice
The aliens from Space Jam invaded EA's office and stole the players skills which is why they stand there like zombies all of the time.
Bwahahaha
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

Quote:
Yup, I know exactly what you're talking about. I think it has something to do with using the Defensive Assist button, since there is always a force field when that button is held down. However, I even let go of it in a game earlier today so that I could get up in this guys face who used the step back jumper with Mo and Lebron EVERY single play, and there was still this stupid force field preventing me from closing out. That's why I think that defensive lock/assist whatever you want to call it is the worst inclusion to basketball games. I don't want the CPU moving my players around for me, just give me a defensive stance button and FULL control over my players, please. They definitely need to work on their defensive mechanics next year.

Using the right stick to put your hands up is pretty much useless too, since you can't even move around while doing it.
Your right it happens even when you don't have the defensive assist button held. And it's like sometimes when they pull up and you try to block they won't allow it, the only thing your player will do is raise one hand, I hate that.

And I can't for the life of me understand the defensive pressure adjustments. I can set it to TIGHT. But it's like people can still come down the court and the guy guarding him will be so far off of him like he's playing him loose and they just pull up for an open J every single time. They need some kind of deny the ball system, or Defensive intensity where they actually get upon the guy they're guarding and crowd him and don't give him any room and all.

When you see how people use to have to defend Reggie Miller when he was playing they were all over him even when he didn't have the ball and was coming around screens. Pulling his jersey and everything to stay with him. But they were close to him at all time, only seperation he got was from a fake or the screen. But in this game I don't feel like when I set them to play TIGHT that they actually do. They should be all up on the person they guarding. Now that's where the drive by's would come into play along with good or bad help defense.

And I'm really tired of the ball just magically being lost by my Bigs under the rim after an offensive rebound, and just turning around. If I'm doing all those size ups and trying to crossover cool I can understand that, that's what I want. But simply just getting an offensive rebound and coming back down from jumping, the ball just magically comes out of my players hands. That's no good.

I don't get the alley system either. it was way better in Live 09. I can have a guy just standing right next to the rim nobody around cause the guy I'm playing is just running around trying to defend my whole team. I'll press the L stick toward the basket and the alley button but most of the time the ball just sails out of bounds. Now I know alleys are difficult to complete but if my player is wide open under the basket all game long because my opponent choses to run all over the court then I should be able to alley him to death because he's leaving it open.

For once I just wanna be rewarded for smart play.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

Quote:
This sums up most of my complaints as well. Players can't hold onto the ball in the post, like they have the grip of a baby. At least have an animation where the player is stripped or something.

On-the-fly subs is garbage. Too much time wasted to just get one player into the game. It annoys me as well how many times I have to bring it up just because of a screen wipe. Why can't they just keep it open??

If you're behind a player, it's pretty much impossible to block them as your player just jumps straight up. I've never seen a chase down block, so if a ball handler gets free he's pretty much guaranteed two points (unless you intentional foul ).

Also, I don't know why there is a delay when pressing the play calling button. Even if it's just a second, it should appear instantly when pressed. And no play calling during timeouts
Agreed the play calling does have a delay which is irritating as well. And what happened to being able to make adjustments at the beginning of quarters. It just goes to the stat screen and they give you about 5 secs to make adjustments and it's right back to the game. Should of kept it like it was in Live 09. The beginning of quarters I should be able to make adjustments. I need more than 5 secs to do that.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Lillard Time

FlyRice's Arena

Ya, the defensive assignments are whack. It's useless if there is no denying of the ball. And I agree about the time between quarters, and especially halftime. In real life, those are times that the coaches make the most adjustments, and in this game, it's only for viewing stats

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »