Home

Interior post defense is just Terrible

This is a discussion on Interior post defense is just Terrible within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 8
Unhappy Interior post defense is just Terrible

I hope this is something they can patch. Passes in the paint are automatic because the ball just goes through the defender or the post defender is just completely out of position. It's like there is no distinguished passing lanes in the paint what so ever. Any pass in the paint is a completion 90% of the time regardless of situation.

The worst is the weak side post defense. The weak side post defender faces the guy in the weakside post with his back completely turned to the ball. He also NEVER attempts to cut off a man flashing across the paint from the weakside. He just casually follows behind him. This is a basic rule of basketball when playing post defense. You never let a man flash across the post without cutting him off.

This makes online just unbearable if you get matched up against someone who wants to exploit this. You can pass any time you have cutters in the lane because of the poor position of the defenders or the ball going right though someone who is eyeballing the pass and should be able to easily intercept the pass. You don't have to lead pass either. A normal pass to any cutter in the lane is successful.

It just doesn't ruin online either. Playing offline and seeing this stuff over and over gets old.

I'm hoping a patch that just puts you defenders in proper position in the post will cure this, but i also believe it has something to do with the AI of CPU defenders awareness and their inability to intercept passes when they have a passing lane defended.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Interior post defense is just Terrible

All we can do is pray that the devs know what there doing and fix this stuff with the patch.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

2009 this thread was made, and here we are 2012. I am posting about NBA 2K13's interior defense.

We need more contact in the paint. Have it be 100% of the time, if a small tries to go up with a big man having his arms up, he gets into a funky animation and botches his inside shot attempt. If you watch basketball closely and observe the game, you will see how post defense works.

Last night, I was watching the Nets/Knicks game ... Kurt Thomas hovered over MarShon Brooks in the paint, arms up. He was forced to pass out. If you do that in NBA 2K13, arms up is meaningless, you are shoved out of the way and the shot either goes in or misses. A patch is needed to code the CPU to pass out if a big man is hovering over a small in that situation, and if he decides to go up with it, he botches. SIMPLE. Brooks didn't even try an up and under (I wonder why). In 2K, you do the up and under step through nonsense, you will hit that basket with ease. Even with the contact slider at 100, the ball will go in.

2K, it is a simple fix - just have the CPU play basketball. Pass the ball out, try to get a man open, set up screens, try to hit leaners. Stop with the shot clock cheese nonsense. Defense is close to meaningless in this game. The concept is right, but the fundamentals are flawed. I can understand Joe Johnson hitting a shot with Steve Novak in his face (doesn't have a good On Ball Defense rating), but he shouldn't with someone like Iman Shumpert (lockdown defender).

-----

Do not have the CPU cheat, have the CPU use logic with defensive assignments. Put the best defenders on the best players.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 3

Get ready for the "you suck at the game" comments smh
Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoonie05
It's not just me. The CPU Defense sucks, because I can do step through up and unders on the CPU on Hall of Fame and not engage into any contact. I can make videos to prove it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

they tried this in 2k8 pre patch. People hated it. Everyone just complained about missed layups.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
MVP

JasonWilliams55's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggrease
they tried this in 2k8 pre patch. People hated it. Everyone just complained about missed layups.
Unfortunate but true. 2k8 pre patch was superb.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoonie05
.."Cooold Bloooded"

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »