Home

Here's how to improve sim standings/stats

This is a discussion on Here's how to improve sim standings/stats within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 26
Here's how to improve sim standings/stats

If you're having a problem with this particular issue, try the following: Edit select teams and place select star players on multiple lines.

The sim engine has a tough time simming accurate stats for a number of key players. Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are four examples. Due to inconsistencies in the sim engine, some stars players are lucky to rack up 50-60 points in a season. That in turn is one reason why a team like Detroit will miss the playoffs on a regular basis when you sim a season.

To counteract these sim engine issues, place Crosby as the C on lines 1 and 3, and Malkin as the C on lines 2 and 4. Put Datsyuk and Zetterberg as the C and LW on lines 1 and 3. You can do this for any player of course. But you have to be careful who, as sim stats pretty much pan out correctly for many players. Ovechkin is one example: his stats are fine. If you put him on two lines, he'll win the scoring title by 50 points.

Do it, then run a couple of sim seasons. Check standings and stats and see the difference for yourself. Just keep in mind it's not a complete fix. Detroit and Pittsburgh will still miss the playoffs, even with those guys racking up 100 points a season. But this will give those teams a better chance of reaching the post season, and will definitely improve your scoring leader stats.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Here's how to improve sim standings/stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
If you're having a problem with this particular issue, try the following: Edit select teams and place select star players on multiple lines.

The sim engine has a tough time simming accurate stats for a number of key players. Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are four examples. Due to inconsistencies in the sim engine, some stars players are lucky to rack up 50-60 points in a season. That in turn is one reason why a team like Detroit will miss the playoffs on a regular basis when you sim a season.

To counteract these sim engine issues, place Crosby as the C on lines 1 and 3, and Malkin as the C on lines 2 and 4. Put Datsyuk and Zetterberg as the C and LW on lines 1 and 3. You can do this for any player of course. But you have to be careful who, as sim stats pretty much pan out correctly for many players. Ovechkin is one example: his stats are fine. If you put him on two lines, he'll win the scoring title by 50 points.

Do it, then run a couple of sim seasons. Check standings and stats and see the difference for yourself. Just keep in mind it's not a complete fix. Detroit and Pittsburgh will still miss the playoffs, even with those guys racking up 100 points a season. But this will give those teams a better chance of reaching the post season, and will definitely improve your scoring leader stats.
these are all good ideas, but how do you know this will help simmed standings. Simmed stats I can definitely see it helping, but my concern is the games I play. So at the 60 th game of the season, it'd be nice seeing both Crosby and Malkin have 80 some points and top 5 in the league, but then if I see the Pens are 7 games under 500, it makes all those efforts of editing pointless.

I'd much rather have inaccurate stats but acurate standings instead of the other way around.

Also, it's not only pittsburgh this is happening to, detroit, boston philadelphia, chicago. So we must edit thse teams too. What happens when you play these teams? You don't want to see crosby and malkin for 40 minutes a game. It's unrealistic and makes them ineffective really. So before and after each game we play these team we have to edit. Just too much work to try to get the game playable.

what happens to the 3rd line center of the penguins.....jordan staal. He might end up with 8 points in the league and he's a very integral part of that team. While this mayu solve the scoring leaders issues, it creates problems in other areas, and it's still not a guarantee that it will solve simmed standings.

If this fixes simmed standings, player stats across the board, I wouldn't have any problems editing lines 20-30 times in a season, but my gut feeling says that this will help scoring leaders, killl 3rd and 4th line players and make very little difference , if any, for simmed standings.

Last edited by phillyfan23; 10-11-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

ok just simmed a season after placing crosby/malkin and datsyuk/zetterberg on the 3rd lines of their teams.

crosby and malkin finished 1st in scoring. They were tied for 1st both with a whopping 158 points. By the way Jordan Staal finished with 6 points.

Zetterberg finished the year with 122 points and datsyuk with 117 points.

Before we were getting too low for these players, now too high.

Next I checked the simmed stadnings for these 2 teams.:

Pit was 4th in the conference
Detroit missed the playoffs by 8 points

I wouldn't care abut the inflated stats if detroit and pittsburgh standings were helped out, but it seems like this idea has no bearing on simmed standings, just scoring stats that's now just too high.

Last edited by phillyfan23; 10-11-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
my gut feeling says...
I just simmed a season with Crosby and Malkin on two lines. Crosby averaged 31 minutes a game. There were two other players (Dmen) with more ice time than Malkin, and he averaged 25 minutes a game. (Last year in the NHL, Crosby averaged 22 minutes per game of ice time, Malkin 22:30.) Malkin ended up third in scoring with 113 points. Crosby was eighth with 101 points. Pittsburgh finished second in the East standings behind Washington.

You could go with your gut, or you could give it a try.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
crosby and malkin finished 1st in scoring. They were tied for 1st both with a whopping 158 points. By the way Jordan Staal finished with 6 points.
My roster is edited. I lowered shot accuracy ratings down so that my sim stats are in line with NHL averages. With the default ratings, there are 400+ extra goals scored in a season than there were in the NHL last year. My edits also reduced assists down to a level that's much closer to NHL totals.

And of course this will help teams make the playoffs. Better players + more points = a greater possibility the team will win games. And no, it doesn't completely fix the screwy sim results, which I mentioned in my first post. That's why I used the word "improve" in the thread title.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
My roster is edited. I lowered shot accuracy ratings down so that my sim stats are in line with NHL averages. With the default ratings, there are 400+ extra goals scored in a season than there were in the NHL last year. My edits also reduced assists down to a level that's much closer to NHL totals.

And of course this will help teams make the playoffs. Better players + more points = a greater possibility the team will win games. And no, it doesn't completely fix the screwy sim results, which I mentioned in my first post. That's why I used the word "improve" in the thread title.
i wish we had roster share for nhl series.....it'd be nice to have what u edited for base rosters if gameplay balance isn't effected.

I just don't want to edit 500 players in the game to get realistic results, if they had global editing, this would take 15-20 minutes. Also, I'm not sure how it will effect the game difficuty so it might not be worth it at all for me.

with regards to your edits, what other players actually need substituting into the 3rd line? if we really look for them, I'm sure great players on bad teams need to be shuffled into their 3rd lines as well. So in essence you're helping both good teams and bad teams into the playoffs. I just think the balance is way off no matter what you do as far as simmed standings are concerned. If there is an improvement, the simmed standings went from an F to a D+. However, I am sure you got the simmed stats down to a tee. I remember reading you were off like 20 goals for total goals compared to last season?

by the way, i just simmed 3 more seasons, and all three seasons had croby,malkin,dats,zett as point leaders. That was expected, but not once in those seasons did detroit and pittsburgh make the playoffs simultaneously.

I see the simmed standings in NBA live 10, and I just cry because this is the only thing preventing me from starting a season.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
MVP

Check out my post in the "Simmed Stats" thread. I ran an experiment by changing just a few ratings and was getting good results, which also affected the team itself.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 12

I don't know why the hell my post didn't go through earlier but basically what I was gonna say is that I'm getting some pretty good results after editing players around the league. I've only tested through the first season so there's no telling how well it'll work later on in a dynasty though.

I know this is a long and grueling process but for me it's perfect because I seldom ever finish a season anyways. I always end going half way and starting a new one so I'd suggest editing the rosters for anyone who plays like me. Basically just create as much disparity between superstars and mediocre/4th liners as you can. It will improve overall stats and standings. I've only done the forwards so far and I'm on to the defensemen next but so far the results are looking quite good.

Good teams are where they're supposed to be, making the playoffs and the garbage/upcoming teams are struggling. Star players are putting up points (too many at one point but I digress).

P.S. I've noticed that putting star players with good linemates DOES make a difference. For example In one season I had Heatley on the second line in SJ and he had around 80-90 points and in the next season I had him with Throton and he hit 150+ points.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »