Home

new control suggestion

This is a discussion on new control suggestion within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
new control suggestion

I would like to see the introduction of a "don't touch puck" (AKA "let pass go by") button added to NHL 10.

It could be based on the push of the left trigger.. (or wherever EA thinks makes most sense)

there are two major reasons for this

1) When you are past the blue line and KNOW you will be called offline if you touch the puck, yet your player is so close to the puck that he stupidly touches the puck anyway! very frustrating

2) if a pass is coming to me and I was to let that pass go on to another player who is perpendicular to me , why can't I just let that puck go? I don't like having to accept the pass, then pressing pass get to get the puck to this man. this would allow for a lot more creative (yet still rare) rushes.

I think this subtle addition would add a lot to the game without harming or alienating casual players in the slightest (they don't even need to use it to be competitive!)

thought/input from forumers and especially redshirt would be great
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
NHL 13 Developer

OVR: 22
Re: new control suggestion

Reasonable idea. We could call it the Lemieux-Kariya button. The trick would be finding button real estate for such a special purpose button.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:07 AM   #3
Pro

sharks's Arena

OVR: 11

How about clicking the left joystick?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
Banned

Really, just move your player out of the way and he will usually have no problem not touching the puck. Works as well as any button ever could.

If you really want a new control scheme, they should put in a BAP configuration.

PS3-
Triangle-Boardplay Only.
X- Sticklift Only
Square- Tap/Slash; Hold/Fight
Circle- Tap/Hook; Hold//Hold

Everything else the same except where noted.

Would clean up the BAP controls since the CPU controls lines anyway, and would also work for those who use auto lines in vs. and want added control.

Win Win all the way around I say.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Rookie

I would love to see a dedicated deflection/screen goalie button instead of an automatic animation when you are near the net.

Maybe holding down the vision control as well as clicking down on the right thumb stick at the perfect time can freeze your player and make him put his stick out to deflect that shot.

Something like this would also stop people abusing the slap passing and unreasonable deflection goals. Make it based on good timing kind of like the 1 timer. The deflection attribute could also dictate how "spot on" you have to be to get a good deflection.

Games:
NHL11
NBA2k11
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
Reasonable idea. We could call it the Lemieux-Kariya button. The trick would be finding button real estate for such a special purpose button.
haha; I was actually thinking of the exact play but couldn't think of who made that pass. thanks Red
Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks
How about clicking the left joystick?
yeah, that's what I suggested in the OP. anyone else have any ideas for which button should be used that would work better than the left joystick?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynicks20
RE: deflections
Great Idea. Maybe they can implement the lemieux kariya button this year via a press of the left joystick. Redshirt: how hard would this be to do from a programming standpoint? I can't imagine it being TOO difficult but what do I know? I'm not a game programmer, but understand web programming and programming in general.

as for the defelction idea (hold left joystick + vision control to have 100 % control over deflections and screens) I LOVE it.

.. however I think this idea might be suited more for NHL 11 for two main reasons : 1) it's more complex (harder for EA to program = more time invested = potentially introduces NEW bugs unless they have all offseason to test it)

and secondly, this new 'deflection/screen control' would allow EA to advertise "New deflection engine!!11 tip blasts from the blueline right between the goalies legs or over his shoulder with our new precision deflection and screening engine/system!"

There's not much sexy about "NEW! press a button and your player won't touch the puck! IT'S IN THE GAME BABY!"

however, i'd like to see it. it would be a huge subtle improvement to NHL 10.

Thoughts Redshirt?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »