Home

Retired Jersey Numbers

This is a discussion on Retired Jersey Numbers within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Retired Jersey Numbers

You can't choose them after placing a created player on a team.

It's more than a little distracting looking at an MJ CAP wearing #25.

Anybody know any workarounds?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Retired Jersey Numbers

This is something that should go in the Wishlist thread, whenever it gets made.

You should be able to assign players a retired number only if you name that player after the player who wore that number.

So only if you create a "Michael Jordan" CAP can you pick 23 on the Bulls, etc.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7

In that scenario wouldn't they have to pay Michael Jordan out the ***? I think that would count as his likeness being used.

I don't want to seem like an ***, but I don't get the big infatuation over legends. If you want to play with retired players play an older version of the game.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 25

I can deal(begrudgingly) with things like not having MJ at #23( made him #45), especially if its a thing that the league made them do something. However, what makes no sense is that you can't make Scottie Pippen #33 or David Robinson #50 etc. Those were their numbers so why can't they wear them, that should at least be fixed.

Do the Devs of this game post on here like the Madden guys do? I'd at least like to get an answer as to why this changed from prior versions.

Last edited by qpc123; 10-06-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 31

Guys you can't implement crap (name and number recognition) like that without a lot of work.....sometimes ya'll make me wonder.

There was a thread last year where simballer or someone from 2k remarked about retired jersey numbers. Last year they let us use them. This year not?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 25

Wouldn't removing the jersey's be what required the work as opposed to not? Meaning that they put in extra work to have those numbers excluded from certain teams. Sorry I'm just confused as to what your point is. It's not like I can't put MJ on another team and make him #23, the game isn't reacting to the name I put in and saying, "Oh no you made a Jordan, no #23's for you," you just can't give any player any retired number from any franchise that the number is retired by. How about the Blazers who retired #1, but it has still been worn by guys like Rod Strickland and Jarrett Jack.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
MVP

Taur3asi3's Arena

OVR: 17

I said this in the rosters forum but this move just defies logic. This isnt like screwing up the color of a jersey number or not giving someone the right shoes. They had to put in the effort to remove what has been in the game since the game was launched on Dreamcast. Unless someone threatene to sue because a guy has 22 on the Lakers or 33 on the Celtics it makes no sense and serves zero purpose. I hope they patch this.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt23134
In that scenario wouldn't they have to pay Michael Jordan out the ***? I think that would count as his likeness being used.

I don't want to seem like an ***, but I don't get the big infatuation over legends. If you want to play with retired players play an older version of the game.
With all due respect, it's just not as fun having to settle for Tecmo NBA Basketball if I want to use David Robinson and the 1992 San Antonio Spurs. The historic rosters are excellent because they provide an opportunity to use great players and teams from years past on a current generation gaming system. It's not a whole lot different from those who derive joy from playing with current rosters. It's fun because you are able to use your favorite players (or least favorite, or anything in between) and put yourself in their shoes of sorts.

And unless something drastic changed with the laws regarding licensing within video games and whatnot, it should not be breaking any kind of rule to allow an owner of NBA2K10 to create their own version of Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, or Vinnie Johnson and provide them with their actual jersey numbers. If this were a legal issue then, as someone else already stated, we'd be led to believe that at least the legends already on the game (David Robinson, Scottie Pippen, Chris Mullin) would be able to use their correct jersey numbers on their corresponding teams, but they cannot.

I believe in NBA2K9, if you applied the number 23 to a created player and assigned him to Chicago (in Association at least), it would change his number, but the user had the ability to override that change and keep your fellow at #23. I feel that's the way it should work this year as well.

I feel as though, if 2K did requests, this would be patchable. I'll just go on record as saying that I'd much prefer the option to give my players any jersey number I wanted. Without this option, it will chop the replay value of 2K10 in half in my regard (and a slew of others).

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »