Home

Am I the only one who doesn't like Commentary?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one who doesn't like Commentary? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Plata o Plomo

iLLosophy's Arena

OVR: 26
Am I the only one who doesn't like Commentary?

Everybody seems to think commentary is "neat" - I personally find it annoying and I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one...

Not because it gets old after a while, or phrases keep repeating, or it just plain doesn't work from time to time - but because every now and then they provide information that players would otherwise not have on the court.

For example, if I'm playing against a team that has easily penetrated to the basket, I might switch to a 2-3 zone. However, here comes Kevin Harlan to let my competition know - "The Bulls set up a 2-3 zone." The competition may or may not have realized this yet...Thanks fellas. Remind me to take you guys out clubbin with me so you all can C***block me all night... Now the competition adjusts their game with this new information in hand (granted a lot of people would come to this realization on their own, but it could take some longer than others).

It's never really gotten to a level where it was a big deal, but the more I hear about dynamic commentary the more I think this is going to be a problem in the future. I feel like it's up to the player to be aware of things like this, and not rely on hints thrown at them from time to time...

Again, I don't think it's at a level where it will cause major impact in a game as of now, but as I see commentary only improving in the future, the line will need to be drawn sooner or later...

Last edited by iLLosophy; 10-06-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Better example - Thanks to Pared
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Am I the only one who doesn't like Commentary?

well, an easy solution would be to have commentary disabled in online play.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49

I don't know man, if they announced what play you were calling or something you might have a point, but I don't see how the announcers saying McGrady is 0-3 from deep in your example gives any competitive advantage.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Kings / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
XBox: MizzouRhino
Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 11

Not sure about this one...commentators are always saying if a player is ice cold or hot. Part of the job. Also players know if a player is hot or cold and I bet when a players makes alot of threes or misses alot everyone on the court and the stadium knows.

Go back to class or something...hahahaha
Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28

i think he's saying the average online "cheeser" who wouldnt otherwise adjust, now can with the help of the commentary..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
Everybody seems to think commentary is "neat" - I personally find it annoying and I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one...

Not because it gets old after a while, or phrases keep repeating, or it just plain doesn't work from time to time - but because every now and then they provide information that players would otherwise not have on the court.

For example, if I'm playing against the rockets and I notice Tracy Mcgrady is 0-3 behind the arc, and they keep shooting blanks with him. I may take my defender off of him more to guard someone else and let him shoot the 3. However, here comes Kenny Smith and Kevin Harlan to let my competition know - "Tracy Mcgrady has had no luck from behind the 3pt line" Up until now the competition wasn't really aware of how broke TMac was. Thanks fellas. Remind me to take you guys out clubbin with me so you all can C***block me all night... Now the competition adjusts their game with this new information in hand (granted this information was available if they looked at stats, but that needs to be up to the player to take that initiative).

It's never really gotten to a level where it was a big deal, but the more I hear about dynamic commentary the more I think this is going to be a problem in the future. I feel like it's up to the player to be aware of things like this, and not rely on hints thrown at them from time to time...

Again, I don't think it's at a level where it will cause major impact in a game as of now, but as I see commentary only improving in the future, the line will need to be drawn sooner or later...
are you sure your playing the right game, because Kenny Smith is not even in this game and hasn't been in 2 years.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
Plata o Plomo

iLLosophy's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
are you sure your playing the right game, because Kenny Smith is not even in this game and hasn't been in 2 years.
Ha I haven't played since 2k8. But you know what I mean lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenDouglas
i think he's saying the average online "cheeser" who wouldnt otherwise adjust, now can with the help of the commentary..
I wouldn't even say a cheeser. Everybody has games where they are playing emotionally and they lose awareness of things - this happens in any competition - games where someone gets in your head or you get in your own head...

In retrospect I guess if I make this arguement, I have to also argue against auto-timeouts and subs as well... both of which are so well established, it's a moot point.

Last edited by iLLosophy; 10-06-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 7

Funny in a way you just gave an example of how good the commentary is. I understand your point though. Hmm, is there such thing as a good problem?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »