Home

Jersey number bug?

This is a discussion on Jersey number bug? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Jersey number bug?

Ok so i've been playing w/ the Nationals lately and i just went through and set all the jersey numbers to the correct number, and there are no duplicate numbers (i'm sure of that) So my problem is Norris hopper's number should be #30 and that is what i have it set to. But when i get in the game it goes to #33! And i swear no one else on the team is wearing #30, so why is this happening...I've noticed this before but it was only because there was a duplicate, but i don't understand it this time
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

42's Arena

OVR: 57
Re: Jersey number bug?

Technically that number was retired by Tim Raines when he played for the Montreal Expos - instead of returning the numbers to circulation when they made the transition to the Nationals my guess is they blocked them out in the game. Maybe?

I could be totally wrong though..

Same thing goes for my Yankees franchise, I can't issue Mickey Mantle's jersey number to any player.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 8

That makes total sense...i forgot about that. Then why the heck would the let "justin maxwell" wear that number?
Old 09-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

42's Arena

OVR: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsEve666
That makes total sense...i forgot about that. Then why the heck would the let "justin maxwell" wear that number?

Good question, hopefully someone else can chime in on this.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:

Was he a minor league call-up for you? There's a glitch/workaround in the game where minor league call-ups will keep their number regardless of if it's retired or worn by another active player already. An easy way to check is to change his number from 30 to 31, save it and exit, then go back in and try to change it to 30 again. It probably won't stick.

Here's the steps on how to work around the retired number thing (which may provide some more sense to your questions, I hope)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Oh..sorry. Yeah, I guess. I can't take credit on this. Someone posted awhile back that you could edit a guy's number in the minors and it would stick when you promote him, no matter what. I couldn't get it to work at first, but I played around with it until I got it to work...lol (it seems you have to do it through "CPU Roster Control").

I can't remember who posted it, but credit goes to "Joe Poster" (you know who you are)

Anyway, here are the steps I used to get it to work:

1. Go into "CPU Roster Control" and move a guy down to the minors from there

2. Back out and edit him under "Manage Roster" to whatever number you want him to have (Keeping in mind that if anyone on that level already has that number, you'll have to change it first)

3. Go back to "CPU Roster Control" and promote him back to MLB. He should have the correct number now.

For some reason, it won't work if you just make the moves all under "Manage Roster." It's as if "Roster Control" is the back door. You may be able to move him down to the minors under "Manage Roster" as long as you call him up through "Roster Control"... as it seems the call-up is the important step. Obviously, you'd want to pay attention to options/waivers in that case.

Also remember, just like last year, if you make any transactions on your team or if you edit that player for any other reason, the number won't "hold" and you'll have to redo it
As you can see, if you are using "CPU Roster Control" you can manipulate the jersey numbers to get what you want.

Hope that helps some...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 41

Quote:
In reality, the Nationals unretired the Expos numbers. Don't know why, but I guess they were too American to want to save Canada some hurt feelings.

I believe this came up earlier in the year with the number 10, wore by Ronnie Belliard though double-retired by the Expos for Andre Dawson and Rusty Staub. The same is true for #8, wore by Jorge Padilla but retired for Gary Carter.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
MVP

MatrixTN's Arena

OVR: 10

Yeah, I think that's an oversight. As already stated, the numbers in question were retired by the Expos but the Nationals brought them back into circulation. The game thinks they're still retired.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Was he a minor league call-up for you? There's a glitch/workaround in the game where minor league call-ups will keep their number regardless of if it's retired or worn by another active player already. An easy way to check is to change his number from 30 to 31, save it and exit, then go back in and try to change it to 30 again. It probably won't stick.

Here's the steps on how to work around the retired number thing (which may provide some more sense to your questions, I hope)...

As you can see, if you are using "CPU Roster Control" you can manipulate the jersey numbers to get what you want.

Hope that helps some...
Is there a similar workaround for this years game?

I'm having the same problem in '10, with Justin Maxwell. Trying to get him to wear his number 30, but they automatically set it to 33 when I call him up. Nothing I do seems to be able to fix this.

You would think with SCEA eliminating the Expos throwbacks for the Nats that they would at least be able to unretire their retired numbers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »