Home

Never played a hockey game. Should I give NHL 10 a shot?

This is a discussion on Never played a hockey game. Should I give NHL 10 a shot? within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Banned

famousbanks's Arena

OVR: 3
Location: Newark, NJ but I got a summer spot on Saturn and a weekend joint on the Moon haha.
Never played a hockey game. Should I give NHL 10 a shot?

I'm a sports gamer and fan and I know a little about hockey (like ovechkin>Crosby lol) and I was thinking about trying NHL 10 out. I work at gamestop and I was surprised by how many people came and picked it up. I downloaded the demo for 09 last year and I just couldn't figure out how to score. It was kinda fun and new for me though and I was just wondering if it was worth a shot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Never played a hockey game. Should I give NHL 10 a shot?

NHL 08 is actually what got me hooked onto hockey. Now I'm an avid hockey fan (go Hawks!).

NHL 10 is worth buying regardless of your interest in hockey. It is just plain fun. Now, since you work at Gamestop, I suggest practicing with NHL 08 or NHL 09 first. They are much easier and a bit more "arcadey". Scoring is difficult, but with practice it will come easier to you.

Or, go for the gold- pick up NHL 10.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
jb1
Rookie

OVR: 7

I was in a similar boat to yourself in that before I bought NHL 08 I had never played a hockey game, well not since NHL 95 on the Gameboy!

I never watched Hockey but being an avid sports fan and soccer in particular I saw 08 going cheap and thought I would give it a go. I had no clue what I was doing other than trying to score a goal and it took me a while to learn but i'm glad I did as the NHL series are the best sports games I have played.

If I were you and were unsure I would get one of the older games for cheaper first but I reckon you should just go for gold and get NHL 10!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Banned

famousbanks's Arena

OVR: 3
Location: Newark, NJ but I got a summer spot on Saturn and a weekend joint on the Moon haha.

Thanks guys I'm gonna take your guts word for it and give 10 a try. I still didn't get madden and I was debating between the two. Hopefully I get the hang of NHL and I'll see you guys on the live or something lol.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

NHL 10 is fantastic. With board play in it and mixed up passing, a great hockey game.

Not only should you buy it but you should go to a Devils game since you are in Newark. I take the train in from Edison to go see them play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Some of my friends who know nothing about hockey enjoyed play 08 and 09 a lot. They are having trouble with 10 bcuz they don't understand why you would do certain things. Luckily they have me to explain things to them. You should be able to get a game that is easy for you to get into with the different settings available in 10. Just have patience and you should be able to master the basics. It will help if you have someone to explain to you what is going on and why. It will be overwhelming at first but, after a while you'll get it. It's worth it imo.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
MVP

ChiTownKid's Arena

OVR: 10

DLC nonsense notwithstanding, it's the best hockey game ever made.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownKid
DLC nonsense notwithstanding, it's the best hockey game ever made.
Well, I'm going to agree with a Chicago fan.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »