Home

Shot Stick vs Buttons

This is a discussion on Shot Stick vs Buttons within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Rookie

drewbaby1414's Arena

OVR: 7
Shot Stick vs Buttons

Need alittle education on some of this....I am an ole school gamer back to the days of Jordan vs Bird on PC....Takes me a bit to adapt to changes in the game.

My questions are:

Is there certian shots that you can only pull off with the shot stick?

Is there certain dunks that are only avaible through shot stick?

What game play advantages are there with shot stick?

Appreciate any advice or hints. I have been with 2K since the beginning and I am thinking about taking the time to learn this feature that has been in the game for 4-5 years now I think.

I am mostly an association player who doesnt venture online much...I like to play for the realistic stats and ranked games don't give you that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: Shot Stick vs Buttons

I'm wondering about that too because this is my first 2k game and my first basketball game in 6 years..I know that you can only pull off certain layups with the shot stick...you can also change your lay up mid way through with the shot stick...I don't know what else though. Hope it isn't anything other then that.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

The shot stick is the only way to play. It's the only way you'll be able to do leaners and floaters ect. If you don't play with the shot stick then you're hurting your game unless your one of those cheesers who just spin spin spin and try to dunk every time then the button will work fine for ya.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 9

Do like I do shot stick for lay ups and dunks, and the button for jumpshots
Old 09-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbaby1414
Need alittle education on some of this....I am an ole school gamer back to the days of Jordan vs Bird on PC....Takes me a bit to adapt to changes in the game.

My questions are:

Is there certian shots that you can only pull off with the shot stick?

Is there certain dunks that are only avaible through shot stick?

What game play advantages are there with shot stick?

Appreciate any advice or hints. I have been with 2K since the beginning and I am thinking about taking the time to learn this feature that has been in the game for 4-5 years now I think.

I am mostly an association player who doesnt venture online much...I like to play for the realistic stats and ranked games don't give you that.
Drew Czar is no spring chicken however the shotstick is worth its weight in gold. The control available is a benchmark for video games.

There are things you will only see while using it. Just try breaking it down in sections about 5 minutes in practice before each game.

Be sure to use the same camera you play with in games in practice mode. Start with layups then jumpers then the dunks. you won't be sorry man.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
MVP

Mos1ted's Arena

OVR: 21

I love the shot stick! I almost wish that 2K would allocate the shot button for something else.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

Preach. It'll make an ever bigger difference this year since they tightened up the controls more from 2K9 in terms of selecting which side you finish on, what kind of dunk you do, etc. It was a little sloppy in 2K9 in terms of left/right and power/finesse, but it seemed very accurate for the Combine. And they went back to the power/finesse/standard/reverse/360 control from 2K7, so that's a plus in terms of dunks. In 2K9 you always had to use the shot stick to trigger leaners and floaters, and I assume that is still the case for 2K10... you're losing control options using only the button, even on jumpers.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Preach. It'll make an ever bigger difference this year since they tightened up the controls more from 2K9 in terms of selecting which side you finish on, what kind of dunk you do, etc. It was a little sloppy in 2K9 in terms of left/right and power/finesse, but it seemed very accurate for the Combine. And they went back to the power/finesse/standard/reverse/360 control from 2K7, so that's a plus in terms of dunks. In 2K9 you always had to use the shot stick to trigger leaners and floaters, and I assume that is still the case for 2K10... you're losing control options using only the button, even on jumpers.
True. Using IsoMo and then going into a jumpshot with the shot stick feels very smooth. I cant go back to button shooting now. It's probably the best b ball game invention right along side right stick handles (Live) imo.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »