Home

Is it just me or does the pump fake pretty much worthless

This is a discussion on Is it just me or does the pump fake pretty much worthless within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Rookie

BombshellRocks's Arena

OVR: 3
Is it just me or does the pump fake pretty much worthless

This honestly could just be my experience, but whenever I try using a pump fake, 99% of the time there is zero reaction from the defense. I read in another post that if you move the l-stick to the left/right you will pump fake in that direction so I have been testing that today.

Went into practice mode and tried using the pump fake on numerous plays. I noticed the safeties never once changed direction or momentum one way or another and I think I got one CB to bite on a fake 1 time out of 20.

I went back and watched replays and this just seemed to confirm that the pump fake is pretty much infective. Are the rest of you guys seeing this issue as well? I know the pump fake is not going to always fool a defense and better defenders won't fall for it all the time, but it's a big part of the passing game that I don't see translated correctly in the game.

Is it just me or should the pump fake worthless?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Is it just me or does the pump fake pretty much worthless

Yeah, the pump fake is virtually useless against CPU AI. They don't bite.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

It shouldn't come as any surprise that the pump fake does nothing. There is no way to look at a specific receiver. What do you want to do? Pump fake the entire team?

Without the Vision Cone, or some other gameplay mechanic to simulate the QB looking at a specific area, the pump fake will inevitably be useless.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
Relentless

Weapon X's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Without the Vision Cone, or some other gameplay mechanic to simulate the QB looking at a specific area, the pump fake will inevitably be useless.
No, all they would have to do is add the ability to pump fake to a specific receiver by double tapping their button like 2K did...

WX
Old 09-11-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8

Both pump fakes and play actions work better if the reaction time sliders are not very high for the defense. With high reaction sliders then don't get faked out at all and they even run your recievers routes better than they do. Problem is if you turn the reaction sliders down to far then passing is super easy so its hit or miss on this stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 8

count me in as someone who find the pump fake useless and playaction is borderline useless as well.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
Rookie

fjackson18's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
It shouldn't come as any surprise that the pump fake does nothing. There is no way to look at a specific receiver. What do you want to do? Pump fake the entire team?
LMAO i remember that was capable in 2004.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

yeah its a bummer that pump fake doesnt work. To me its very important, like Playaction. Look at rothlisberger from last night.... he pump faked 2 million times and it worked some of the time. I know theres no vision cone or whatever but they could atleast randomly have a lesser awr "D" player bite on it no matter where the qb is looking.

Pump fake isnt always a fake to guy your looking at and then throwing to him, you could fake to anyone and then throw to anyone else. Half the time a pump fake is just a move with no intention of throwing on that first fake/attempt to anyone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »