Home

The Fred Davis vs. Jermichael Finley Debate

This is a discussion on The Fred Davis vs. Jermichael Finley Debate within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15
The Fred Davis vs. Jermichael Finley Debate

Redskins TE Fred Davis
Drafted: 2008 Round 2 Pick #48
2008 Stats: 3 Receptions, 27 yards
Madden 10 Potential Rating: "D"

Packers TE Jermichael Finley
Drafted: 2008 Round 3 Pick #91
2008 Stats: 6 Receptions, 71 yards, 1 TD
Madden 10 Potential Rating: "A"

Some Facts
- Fred Davis was drafted 43 spots ahead of Jermichael Finley.

- Fred Davis was the 3rd TE drafted, Jermichael Finley was the 7th TE drafted.

- Most importantly... Neither player had much impact on their team in 2008.

I do not see any evidence as to why Fred Davis has "D" potential, and Jermichael Finely has "A" potential. I am neither a Redskins or Packers fan, and I am not biased towards either team. I fail to understand why there is such a drastic difference in both players' potential rating. Jermichael Finley can become a star, and Fred Davis can't ever move up a depth chart.

Let's take a look at the first 7 tight ends drafted in the 2008 NFL draft.

Round 1 (30) Dustin Keller NYJ - "A" potential (48 rec, 535 yds, 3 TD)

Round 2 (38) John Carlson SEA - "A" potential(55 rec, 627 yds, 5 TD)

Round 2 (48) Fred Davis WAS - "D" potential (3 rec, 27 yds, 0 TD)

Round 2 (61) Martellus Bennett DAL - "B" potential (20 rec, 283 yds, 4 TD)

Round 3 (76) Brad Cottam KC - "B" potential (7 rec, 63 yds, 0 TD)

Round 3 (85) Craig Stevens TEN - "C" potential (1 rec, 9 yds, 0 TD)

Round 3 (91) Jermichael Finley GB - "A" potential (6 rec, 74 yds, 1 TD)

These 7 players are players that have only played in the NFL for 1 year. How is it that Fred Davis with his 3 career catches can be considered a bust, and Jermichael Finley with his 6 career catches, be considered a future star? Also, what about Craig Stevens and Brad Cottam's 8 combined career receptions shows that they have better potential than Fred Davis? The only TE drafted below Fred Davis that necessarily outperformed him and showed a glimpse of what was to come, was Martellus Bennett. So I ask the question again... Why does Fred Davis have a "D" for potential, and why does Jermichael Finley have an "A" for potential?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: The Fred Davis vs. Jermichael Finley Debate

Jermichael Finley is a hell of an athlete with little football experience when he came out of college, which is why he wasn't taken earlier in the draft, but he definitely has the physical tools to be a star player, which is why he has A potential. The Packers expect him to be a major threat this year, and he showed signs of it at the end of the season last year. He's also had an awesome preseason, which shows that he's beginning to be the player the Packers expected him to be when they drafted him. There's no problem with his potential rating. The guy's lower draft spot does not mean he should have a lower potential.

EA is smarter than you give them credit for with these ratings. They don't just base them off statistics or draft spot, they talk to scouts and player personnel to find out expert opinions. That is where they learned Jermichael Finley has A potential -- not from last year's statistics.

Last edited by emacfenian; 09-05-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacfenian
Jermichael Finley is a hell of an athlete with little football experience when he came out of college, which is why he wasn't taken earlier in the draft, but he definitely has the physical tools to be a star player, which is why he has A potential. The Packers expect him to be a major threat this year, and he showed signs of it at the end of the season last year. He's also had an awesome preseason, which shows that he's beginning to be the player the Packers expected him to be when they drafted him. There's no problem with his potential rating. The guy's lower draft spot does not mean he should have a lower potential.

EA is smarter than you give them credit for with these ratings. They don't just base them off statistics or draft spot, they talk to scouts and player personnel to find out expert opinions. That is where they learned Jermichael Finley has A potential -- not from last year's statistics.
Totally understandable... Finley probably deserves an "A". But the real question is why does Fred Davis have a "D". How can he be a bust after 1 season when other tight ends drafted lower than him haven't outproduced him and aren't considered busts?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Rookie

permanent1's Arena

OVR: 8

Even though martellus bennett is a B i would say he should be an A hes going to be a great player very soon he is as good an athlete at the tight end position as anyone out there in my opinion and better than most athleticaly.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 13

the potential crap on this game is awful. the guys at EA 'decided' to make davis a bust. as if it was up to them.. i love the game but this potential/rating capping thing has really pissed me off. worst addition to the game in years in my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
Totally understandable... Finley probably deserves an "A". But the real question is why does Fred Davis have a "D". How can he be a bust after 1 season when other tight ends drafted lower than him haven't outproduced him and aren't considered busts?
No idea, I know nothing about Fred Davis to explain why he deserves a D. Just answered for the Finley part because that's all I know.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast21Forever
the potential crap on this game is awful. the guys at EA 'decided' to make davis a bust. as if it was up to them.. i love the game but this potential/rating capping thing has really pissed me off. worst addition to the game in years in my opinion.
It's been in the game since progression has been in the game. This year is just the first year you can see the potential rating.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacfenian
No idea, I know nothing about Fred Davis to explain why he deserves a D. Just answered for the Finley part because that's all I know.
Yea if he does become great, your team is going to be really fun to watch on offense... Rodgers, Grant, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, and Finley are all 26 or younger.

On a side note. I think the Packers have done an amazing job building that team (especially revamping the defense). Only thing I'm a little suspect about is their offensive line.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »