Home

Pursuit angles?

This is a discussion on Pursuit angles? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 52
Pursuit angles?

I've seen a lot of posts about this recently...but I haven't been around so maybe I missed a thread. Can someone show some good example videos (or point me in the direction of recent discussions) about pursuit angles? Even just a highlight video from easports.com would be good...

I'd like to have our guys dig deeper on this complaint...but I don't know exactly where to start.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Pursuit angles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0B5X...layer_embedded

One example from the glitch thread.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2040118660
Old 09-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 24

There's one here:
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...thread-15.html

Post #597 with video...

(Also, off topic, but look at the second vid as well......)
Old 09-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 15

also sometimes when you're on defense and you switch to a pursuing player, he slows down. I think this usually happens when I have my finger on sprint and switch players

Kinda like hes stuck strafe chasing or something. I think he speeds up if you take your finger off the trigger and press it again.

Last edited by Bears_16_and_0; 09-02-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

You don't have to play the game long to see the bad pursuit angles on an interception.

Once the ball is intercepted it appears the offensive guys logic is to run at the interceptor instead of taking a pursuit angle to the sidelines, thus giving them the REVERSE of what their pursuit angle should be, they take the angles away from themselves. When you throw a pick you have to furiously change players until you hopefully get a running back or a wide receiver who hasn't already ruined his pursuit angle and has the ability to make a play.

On offense, I notice when I break a big run, many defenders will take a bad angle E.G. running towards the sideline and then trying to chase the ball carrier instead of taking an angle to prevent the TD. When you click on the replay on those plays you can see that guys SHOULD have been able to prevent the TD but the angle they took totally took them out of the play.

It only takes a couple of games to see these. FG returns show it pretty blatantly too. Guys have no idea how to take an angle. I had an 108 yd TD return on a field goal because no one covered the sideline I was running to, they run AT the ballcarrier. One fast guy managed to come within tackling distance and I got rid of him, the rest of the guys destroyed their angles right away.

It seems the guys run AT the ball carrier, destroy their angle and then just chase the ball carrier, leading to big plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIJR8...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S8B_...e=channel_page

these are good example.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

I echo everything the above poster wrote, it only takes a few games to notice. once you get the corner on a runnin play, its a TD if your back has any speed. I had to bench Fred Taylor as hes too fast, even after playing with the sliders (turning threshold way up, CPU rush D way up). just too many 80 yard runs. the safties play too close, dont stay back, and never run backwards to the sideline ensuring a tackle or a push out of bounds. they either run AT the ballcarrier or straight across which won't get it done either.

I love nothing more than busting a 30 yard run and then getting pushed out of bounds by the last line of defense..just feels so much more realistic. 80 yard runs are nice, but not every game. sorry i didnt have any video examples to give, but just wanted to put it into words. the running game and screen game will be awesome if this issue gets patched! so thanks for asking...
Old 09-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
You don't have to play the game long to see the bad pursuit angles on an interception.

Once the ball is intercepted it appears the offensive guys logic is to run at the interceptor instead of taking a pursuit angle to the sidelines, thus giving them the REVERSE of what their pursuit angle should be, they take the angles away from themselves. When you throw a pick you have to furiously change players until you hopefully get a running back or a wide receiver who hasn't already ruined his pursuit angle and has the ability to make a play.

On offense, I notice when I break a big run, many defenders will take a bad angle E.G. running towards the sideline and then trying to chase the ball carrier instead of taking an angle to prevent the TD. When you click on the replay on those plays you can see that guys SHOULD have been able to prevent the TD but the angle they took totally took them out of the play.

It only takes a couple of games to see these. FG returns show it pretty blatantly too. Guys have no idea how to take an angle. I had an 108 yd TD return on a field goal because no one covered the sideline I was running to, they run AT the ballcarrier. One fast guy managed to come within tackling distance and I got rid of him, the rest of the guys destroyed their angles right away.

It seems the guys run AT the ball carrier, destroy their angle and then just chase the ball carrier, leading to big plays.
And just to add...Speed Threshold does NOTHING to fix this either. When the AI is out of the play...They are out of the play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »