Home

What are your thoughts on this game really?

This is a discussion on What are your thoughts on this game really? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 23
What are your thoughts on this game really?

OS said we could post impressions so I'm going to I guess. I'm not someone who gets too detailed in my impressions, but I enjoy this years Madden somewhat. I think it's a pretty fun title if you dont get into the details too much. It's also not the end all be all by any means, but I think EA did a good job with the presentation. The engine itself is also pretty neat. The game on the surface is pretty next gen. I like what EA did in that regard. What takes away from it for me are still all the same Madden issues that have plagued it for years. The AI can still be easily outsmarted and takes poor angles, poor collision detection and outright cheese a lot of the time. You will see players jump routes that arent humanly possible. You'll see the ball go right through a player. You see a blocker somehow shift 5 yards and block a guy. The difficulty levels are also absurd. On all pro its too easy. On all madden blockers stick to you like glue. It's cheesy but fun I guess. Some of the animations are good. Others look ridiculous. The player models some look great others not so much. I like the controls. EA's controls are always pretty simple but intricate and responsive. I like the engine itself. The tech in the game is pretty good as far as hwo the game is running. Hard to explain. It just looks nice and runs nice.. The speed of the game is good. The commentary is horrible. Some of the cutscenes are really repetitive and bland. The wildcat and running to the outside and passing to the outside is ridiculous and overpowered. The cpu still runs inexplainably out of bounds which speaks for the AI. It's still MAdden. If you hate Madden you will hate this game. If you like Madden you will like it.

All in all I give the game an 8..... Maybe a 7.5. It's a jump in the right direction ala NBA Live last year compared to the year before imo. Its better than that. Fight Night is still the best EA title i've played because it's simple and just fun. They had a lot of time to work on it and it shows. No thats' not perfect either and the AI is pretty basic but it works for the most part. 2k on the other hand takes a different approach with their AI but has their own issues. 2k tends to take a more sim approach. EA really hasnt yet. Which is a shame because i think the engine EA is using and the money they have they could have the best of both worlds. Neither company has really done that yet. I do question if EA understands the sports they are making titles for though. They are more about fun and it being a game vs realistic. EA to me seems to be more about selling games vs actually making a realistic representation of the sport.

My two favorite sports games this past year are nba 2k9 and fight night round 4 so you can't really say i lean either way. Both those games have issues as well. But the package is pretty good. Outside of THE SHOW no game has really captured and perfected a sports game imo.. I dont play nhl or fifa so i cant really comment. But for me Madden is a step below the titles i mentioned. NBA Live is a step below that.

I also think OS is usually really good with their reviews but dropped the ball this year on Madden.

Last edited by kGinGreen; 08-20-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: What are your thoughts on this game really?

For the first few days, I gave this game a 9...now Id say 6.5.

Some of the issues this game has are inexcusable. I can handle things like draft info being left out and some other little imperfections, but how the hell do you jack up pursuit angles so bad? Or covering the flats? How does blocking not only NOT get better, but gets worse? How are simmed stats so jacked up? I mean, if games from last gen can do all this stuff better, its time to go back to the drawing board.

I will admit, I am having SOME fun with Madden. Every other next gen Madden Ive ranked in the 3-5 range, so even 6.5 is an improvement. I just cant overlook some of the nonsense in this game. Simple, pop warner football fundamentals dont even seem to make this game in some instances.

Its pretty easy to tell that most, if not all the people that work on Madden dont really know much at all about the game of football and may not even really be NFL fans. This isnt meant to bash anyone, but if at least a some of these people were NFL fans and knew the game , I guarantee we wouldnt be getting this every year. Alot of times, its just laziness. In most cases though, these people simply dont know how the real game works, and thats why I dont have a ton of faith in Madden ever getting where it needs to be.

Sorry for the rant...but everything I said is true.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 13

I don't care for it too much.. but it is the best NG Madden to date, for whatever that is worth.

These are the things that bother me the most:

1. Lack of camera angles, or custom cam.
2. Players float, they don't seem connected with the turf
3. Tackles don't feel like tackles, they're too soft.
4. Deep Ball is very difficult to pull off.
5. Way too many bugs, everywhere.
6. Inability to configure controls
7. I have to pay $5 to play All Madden Ranked
8. Worthless stats... like they said QB THA is meaningless, since Short Accuracy, Med and Long are what matters... so why the **** do you not take out THA then?!
9. DBs running routes for the WRs
10. DBs defending and jumping routes without even looking at the WR
11. Hit stick toned down too much
12. Still forced to press A before playmakering defenders.
13. RCing is still there (only have to deal with this vs Humans)
14. Running animations are HORRIBLE. Guys look like they're 50 years old and constantly gassed.

Things I like:

1. Its pretty
2. You can get hit while throwing now, which is nice
3. Man coverage is better
4. Players finally have a bit more weight to them... momentum wise.

I give this game a 5 out of 10 at this point.

Last edited by CapnKill; 08-20-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Pro

Brooklynbks4's Arena

OVR: 3

i love it sure its not perfect has a couple of flaws but it is the best madden on next gen 2 date and i havent been lovin madden like this since the old ps2 days i enjoy the game for what it is rather what it isnt
Old 08-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
Banned

WisconsinSports414's Arena

OVR: 9

Meh. It's decent..somewhat fun at times when you use sliders. I like that this year, I can really see and kind of feel the differences in play style between the teams. The Vikings are gonna try and pound the rock with AD, while Drew Brees is gonna be slingin that ball around and passing for 330+ yards with the Saints. I play with the Raiders, and Jamarcus Russell will badly overthrow a pass that would go for six if I were using Tom Brady instead. Acclerated clock is great, and I'm glad they brought it back. But, there still are just too many flaws in too many areas for me to be satisfied. Heck, the clock runs in the game at times when players clearly run out of bounds, and even after an incomplete pass! How can you miss something that basic? Even with slider adjustments, broken tackles on that game are rediculous. And sure, people will say you need to get better at the game -- which is true, but I sure as heck can't remember the last time I saw ANY back be able to 1. Break a tackle. 2. Just power his way through three or four tacklers (linemen and line backers that are usually bigger and stronger) after breaking the tackle. 3. Breaking another tackle after that, and then still have the stamina to sprint 50+ yards to the endzone without being totally gassed and/or caught from behind. Players are able to make picks (human or CPU) without even looking back at the ball, yet the majority of the time will just drop a ball that is thrown right at them. With blocking logic so screwed up, outside runs are almost useless on higher difficulties. That would be fine, since in real life those are hit and miss plays - but in Madden, they are wasted plays, and almost always fail because at least 1-2 offensive linemen just refuse to block. I think the game is much improved, honestly. If they could just improve on those things, I would have no complaints as far as game play. But, me and a lot of people have been saying things along those lines for some years now, so we'll see what happens. Other than that, the commentary sucks..Chris Collinsworth is great, but Hammond is so bad that he just drags them both down. It's a little surprising, since he's decent doing the Notre Dame games, and was great back in the day for the NBA on NBC crew.

Last edited by WisconsinSports414; 08-20-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 23

Ea games look and control really good. But are they a realistic represenation of the sport? Not really.... EA's developers come on here and say they are listening but are they? They hyped this game beyond belief which kind of bugs me.. I understand it's marketing and a white lie in a lot of ways and they are speaking the truth as they see it. But are they really listening? I really believe they don't care if KGinGreen buys their game. It's more about creating interest. They don't care if simballler joe or whoever buys the game because it's such a small percentage of sales. Most of us are going to buy it anyways. I rented it this year and wont be buying it.

Last edited by kGinGreen; 08-20-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Rookie

Bleak5170's Arena

OVR: 4

I hear a lot of people calling this the best Madden ever, but in all honesty, is that really saying a lot? I love the series but I can't think of a year where there weren't some fairly significant problems. EA worked a lot on the overall presentation and it still sucks! The graphics look nice but everything else is pretty amateurish. Half-time highlights with no commentary whatsoever?

And what is up with players running out of bounds???? Anyone who has been playing Madden for a long time knows this is not a new problem. The real kicker is that this was fixed with a patch in a previous version of the game. EA actually fixed it yet now it's back for some reason. Does anyone at Tiburon even pay attention to what they're doing? The graphics engine could use an update as well. Despite the fact things do look prettier now, on replays you can actually see that the ball isn't even attached to the QBs hand when he goes to pass the ball. And there is tons of clipping with players going through one another and even disappearing into the ground.

One thing which has plagued the series almost since it started is the fact the computer is fantastic at passing but horrible at rushing the ball. CPU quarterbacks frequently have ratings over 130 for a single game, yet running backs struggle to average 3 yards per carry. Luckily this can be alleviated somewhat with sliders.

It's not all bad. The new rushing and passing mechanics are solid and I really like the new slower game play speed. Defensive players are still way too adept at picking off the ball though.

All in all this is a decent game but I can't help but be a little angry with EA for working too much on little details and not enough on A.I. issues (defenders taking horrible angles for instance). Despite the improved game play on the offensive side of the ball, with all the little nagging issues with the game, I can't give it more than a 7/10. A lot of that score is based on the fact that I'm still seeing the same problems I saw 7-8 years ago.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

Love it. IMO, best football game to date.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »