Home

Deep pass difficulty

This is a discussion on Deep pass difficulty within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 8
Deep pass difficulty

Is it really this hard to complete a deep pass downfield? I don't mean just any pass that goes for big yards, but more specifically a situation where you have a WR 1 on 1 with a corner and no over the top help and beats him deep with a 9 route and completes the pass and scores or at least completes it in stride.

I have yet to do this in a game since it came out. Every time I get 1 on 1 coverage with no over the top coverage the corner, regardless of rating with stay glued to the receivers hip. Even corners rated 60's and 70's will remain glued to elite WRs catching balls from high rated QBs. A couple times I've completed balls but they've been jump ball deals where they catch it with the corner strapped on them and are tackled immediately, usually right on the sideline shoved out of bounds.

There's 2 problems, 1 is the receivers never even getting so much as half step, and the 2nd is no matter how lightly I tap the button, how much I lead, how early I throw it, the ball always travels right to the sideline. I can't just put it where I want.

I went into practice mode, set up 1 on 1 coverage using the Bengals, subbed in a 57 rated corner to go against Chad Ochocinco, with Palmer throwing, and time after time the corner stayed glued. Only 1 time, out of about 10-15 reps did he corner get burned, and on that play he tried bumping and failed.

I remember the days when Madden was geared towards offense and corners couldn't cover anything no matter if they were a 99, now it's the complete opposite and any yahoo garbage corner can stay glued to the hip of 95% of receivers.

I'm glad it's not easy as it used to be, but damn, this is just hard as hell now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Deep pass difficulty

A couple things.

1: The speed threshold slider. If you'd like to see more separation from faster players move that slider down.

2: User catch. If you're actually getting 1 v. 1 situations user catches increase your chances of getting this incredibly. Learn how to position yourself so the ball hits you in stride.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:49 AM   #3
All Star

OVR: 33

wow really?

One on one, i'm burning guys great with Reggie Wayne, and he's got like 85 speed.

Have you tried precision passing? Lead your Receiver by pressing forward.

I think you're doing something systematically wrong. Coz i know, Chad will burn that 57 ovr db over and over again (burning means 1 yard of separation, thats good enough for Chad).

Try leading outside shoulder.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:03 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 20

I am having a lot of success throwing deep, especially off of play action plays. I have elite recievers and a top qb though, My first franchise it was stafford throwing to calvin johnson, ramses barden, plax, and devin hester and in the current one it is
Spoiler
and michael crabtree. (Star rookies place inside spoiler tag to avoid giving away spoilers to those who don't want them)

Using them and setting up with short passes and a solid rushing I am often able to get deep passes working. If the corner is running right with my guy then usually it will be a jump ball. This should really be the case running a streak as most corners are fast enough to run with recievers. However, when the receiver gets a step, either due to a bad press or getting beaten by jostling or whatever I have often hit them in stride for huge gains and TDs.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
wow really?

One on one, i'm burning guys great with Reggie Wayne, and he's got like 85 speed.

Have you tried precision passing? Lead your Receiver by pressing forward.

I think you're doing something systematically wrong. Coz i know, Chad will burn that 57 ovr db over and over again (burning means 1 yard of separation, thats good enough for Chad).

Try leading outside shoulder.
I do use precision passing and have tried leading straight, a little left, a little right, etc....

I will try some of these suggestions to see if I can get the hang of this
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
Banned

mvandor's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastEmp88
I do use precision passing and have tried leading straight, a little left, a little right, etc....

I will try some of these suggestions to see if I can get the hang of this

I do think the speed separation slider plays a part here, and I've learned to lead deep and to the sideline because the S's have insane closing ability for the CPU.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »