Home

Is the new Madden a touchdown or a fumble?

This is a discussion on Is the new Madden a touchdown or a fumble? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46
Is the new Madden a touchdown or a fumble?

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...umble-/1342617

August is typically a quiet month for video games, but not because companies are simply being lazy. Rather, they're playing defense.

They don’t want to lose another game to Madden.

Like clockwork, EA releases a new Madden NFL football game every August. This year's version -- the 21st in the series -- introduces a host of new features, including gang tackling, online franchises and more under-the-hood tweaks than the Batmobile.

And according to the reviews, it's looking like another All-Pro effort.

Currently averaging a healthy 88% overall score, Madden NFL 10 is being lauded for tightening up its act while adding loads of depth. Leading print mag Game Informer digs it, doling out an 8.75/10 while claiming that "this Madden... makes me feel more in control than in recent titles, whether that’s throwing the ball as a QB with a defender draped on me, better handoff transitions, navigating traffic on a kick return, or the subtler juke moves." Those details didn't escape TeamXbox, either, who noted that this year's model "eclipses last-year’s effort in content, realism and value" en route to giving it a 9/10.

Gamedaily gave it the same score, but went for the old gut check by insisting that "if you're a football fan and you don't have fun playing this game, well, guess what? You're not a football fan." If that's the case, then IGN is, in fact, a football fan, as the venerable site gave the new Madden an 8.9/10. "Madden NFL 10 doesn’t redefine the series or innovate in any monumental way, but that doesn’t stop it from being a truly great football game," they said.

But despite a scoreboard filled with praise, this isn't a video game review blowout. Multiple sites were annoyed by the robotic two-man commenting team of Cris Collinsworth and Tom Hammond, and just about everyone had a few unkind words about the deluge of in-game ads from a certain chocolaty candy bar with a penchant for truly satisfying people. Venerable website Gamespot heaped on loads of smaller complaints, issuing a mediocre 7.5/10 while insisting that "for all of [Madden's] improvements, there are seemingly an equal number of nagging setbacks..."

Most also agree that both on and offline Franchise modes still need work, with Game Informer teeing off: "Madden 10’s salary negotiations still offer no flexibility, the coach contracts are broken, the draft scouting info is boring, and this game doesn’t come close in this department to the advancements of EA Tiburon’s own Head Coach 09." And while everyone seems pleased by the game's innovative new Pro-Tak tackling system, game site 1UP, who gave Madden 10 a solid B+, thinks it could use more time in the oven. "Like many a promising rookie, Pro-Tak brings plenty of raw talent to this year's game -- but needs refinement to become a champion."

Still, the consensus is clear -- Madden once again rules the gridiron with another must-have. May other August video games rest in peace.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Is the new Madden a touchdown or a fumble?

It's more like an under thrown fade to the end zone during the closing seconds of the Super Bowl. It's so close to being one of the greatest in history but it just falls short.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

the question is it a TD or Fumble?....I say Touchdown!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Banned

DaTwolves21's Arena

OVR: 17

Touchdown
Old 08-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
Pro

northface28's Arena

OVR: 6

Upon further review, TOUCHDOWN!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Rookie

Beardown's Arena

OVR: 5

"just about everyone had a few unkind words about the deluge of in-game ads from a certain chocolaty candy bar with a penchant for truly satisfying people"

I don't mind that ad but I had one game where McD had a value meal ad right on top of the display bar on the bottom and it was red and large. It was very distracting and did not disappear until you hiked the ball. I have had it happen only once in several games but I really disliked it.

Oh and to answer the question...TD for me.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
MVP

jewelz1132's Arena

OVR: 12

It's a field goal...It's a lot better than last year but there are still issues that are there that can make this game really frustrating at times
Old 08-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorg
It's more like an under thrown fade to the end zone during the closing seconds of the Super Bowl. It's so close to being one of the greatest in history but it just falls short.

Well said.

This would explain my thoughts on Madden 2010...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SBU8nOiMz0

But its a huge step up from my thoughts on 08 and 09...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNUWmjmCJ28

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »